Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine noise....  (Read 6716 times)

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Re: Engine noise....
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 09:05:58 am »
Cheers guys, I'll see if a mate can do that for me. If the noise does disappear what next? New belt, tensioner..both?
Best to stick to OEM parts for these?
Cheers

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 11:52:53 pm »
@Lewo hi mate,

Turn the ac on and see what happens with the noise!. Don't want you to buy a belt or tensioner and it's the ac pump!!!  :happy2:

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 09:09:04 pm »
Still trying to arrange a day for my mate to have a look at this for me. Forgot to try the AC I'll take a look tomorrow, the noise in the vid is with the AC off though if that makes a difference?

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 08:39:59 pm »
Update.
Mate had a look at the car today. A/C pump didn't make any difference. Took the timing belt off and still no difference.
Whilst under the car noticed the oil leak from the sump which wasn't there last week, coincidence?
Anyhow it was hard to tell but mate thinks it might be cambelt tensioner possibly as the bottom pulley seems to be running smooth and can't feel any movement. There seems to be a bit of oil below the bottom pulley too.
pics and vids below.

https://i.imgur.com/J8cUPlm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8PaSbFu.jpg

Just for reference cambelt and waterpump were done 18 mths ago as was sump and pickup pipe.
Any other thoughts? Wondering if I should take it into main dealers for a quick look over?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 05:21:13 pm »
That belt which drives the auxiliaries is know as the serpentine belt not Timming belt.

My Next move would be all the necessary work to remove the tbelt covers, as I feel your mate is going to be correct with his diagnosis and it the either the tensioner or roller - what quality of replacement parts were fitted when it was done 18 months ago, as the parts from VW carry 24 month warranty.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 02:51:34 am »
Yeah sorry I meant the drive belt... :ashamed:
Mate can't really help anymore with this problem I don't think so I guess
I will have to resort to taking it to the main dealers for an assessment as the garage that did the work is a 2.5 hr drive away.
 If it is the cam belt tensioner is it a risk to drive it that far? I don't really like using the car the moment anyway, just in case something gives. Overly worrying?
Pretty sure VW parts were used for the belt and pump so assume tensioner etc comes with the kit?
I have heard about the 2 yr warranty on parts so if there is a problem with them hopefully that will be covered.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 11:49:07 pm »
Still trying to arrange a day for my mate to have a look at this for me. Forgot to try the AC I'll take a look tomorrow, the noise in the vid is with the AC off though if that makes a difference?
if the ac pump is at fault it will do it even when the ac is not switched on as I found on the zafira one I replaced a few months back and that was totally buggered with bits falling out when I removed it!!!

It's not a mega loud noise so you'll be fine driving it to your destination. Yes warranty on vw cam kit parts are two years so you'll not have an issue with them replacing it FOC

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 12:20:54 am »
Car booked in at the main dealer for a check in a couple of weeks so will take it from there.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 01:25:41 am »
 :sad1:

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 08:36:30 am »
It seemed the only thing I could do as mate can't help at the mo and if they confirm it's the cambelt them I can approach the original garage that fitted it.  If its ends up being something else then I'll take it from there.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 11:02:57 am »
It a shame no ones close enough to you to have a look as stealers are arse wipes who want your money and would lie to you just so you pay out but routing for you  :smiley:

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2017, 09:21:19 pm »
D Day tomorrow at the dealers, wish me luck  :rolleye:

Something else I've remembered with the car, DSG remember.... when you put your foot down the box normally drops down a couple of gears quickly and powers on.
Well just before and since this noise appeared doing the same thing the engine revs higher and seems to take a while to settle on a gear if that makes sense.....? Kind of hard to explain but I'll try and get mate to take some footage in car tomorrow, just wondered it this is related to what's going on.

Cheers

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 10:10:03 pm »
So update....
At main dealers after a gentle 20 min drive, definitely a bit noisier than when I started car last week or so. They took the cover off and

And here's a couple of the oil leak we found when mate took drive belt off.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 12:29:44 am »
So update....
At main dealers after a gentle 20 min drive, definitely a bit noisier than when I started car last week or so. They took the cover off and

And here's a couple of the oil leak we found when mate took drive belt off.

ouch!!!! What caused that to happen ???  :surprised:

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 10:39:53 pm »
Not got a scooby, it's gone back to the garage that fitted the cambelt so I should hear at some point.