Make a donation

Author Topic: Calling all Xenon / HID experts!  (Read 7096 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Calling all Xenon / HID experts!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 02:25:09 pm »
Lol, nice attempt to bore me (and others) but you failed miserably because I found it quite interesting  :grin:

Do you happen to know what might cause xenon bulbs to wobble over bumps?  2 x MK5s and 1 x MK4 and they've all done it.  I can't be that unlucky to have 3 sets of dud lights?!  :grin:   The projectors are all in there solidly.  Can't feel anything loose in there.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 02:48:47 pm »
The short answer is no.... however I have always had my doubts about the mounting mechanisms for the starter and holders of D2S xenon bulbs. The actual projectors and lenses are locked pretty solid and there are no moving parts as such in the bulb but there is a fair amount of weight (relatively) in the bulb and starters so it acts like a seesaw around the fulcrum point where it held in the light housing. Other than that I think its fairies at the bottom of the engine bay  :grin:

My suspicion is that it is a "wobble" introduced under certain conditions ie bumps. I also get a very minor wobble sometimes too.

Rip.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 03:00:09 pm »
That is certainly a plausible reason!  It's a heck of a lot of tech and bulk for a couple of bulbs isn't it!

When I had my squidgy 16" winter tyres on last year, the wobble practically disappeared, so it must be a trade-off of stiff suspension and/or 18" tyres!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 07:32:12 pm »
Cheers for the info Ripstop. I think there's definitely room for improvement with the current setup then. A pair of 4300k bulbs and check the alignment and I'll see how that goes!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 11:11:17 am »
Just thought I'd add a little update after spending a bit more time with the Depo and HID setup.

I think my initial disappointment was down to the fact it was more dusk than dark - maybe the colour temperature of the bulbs makes the beam a little less obvious in those conditions.

Since then I've done a fair bit of night driving, and actually, they're pretty damn good. There's still scope for a slightly whiter bulb, but the current ones don't seem too OTT blue. I managed to find a wall in a carpark to test the beam pattern and it seems good. Nice cutoff and height - although I'd like to get that confirmed at my MOT place. I haven't had any oncoming cars flash me or anything, so I'll loosely assume things are as they should be.

Overall, I'm happy with the upgrade.

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 06:58:45 am »
For absolutely anything lighting related I'd get in contact with Trups at EM Tuning - he is an absolute lighting guru.

He can split headlights and reseal, change projector lenses, fit colour changing demon eyes, paint headlight internals etc etc. He's developed his own LED products too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 07:00:39 am »
Here's the output from my RS4 xenons after he upgraded the projector lenses to crystal clear ones he sources, and bulbs to morimoto ones:

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 07:27:56 pm »
Here's the output from my RS4 xenons after he upgraded the projector lenses to crystal clear ones he sources, and bulbs to morimoto ones:

Like the look of that. Cheers for the info mate

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 02:26:58 am »
Hi AJP

HID are s**** mate :sick:

Check my build thread on the latest bulbs I'm using and 100 times better than these poxy hid kits  :happy2:

willni

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 03:20:56 pm »
Just thought I'd add a little update after spending a bit more time with the Depo and HID setup.

I think my initial disappointment was down to the fact it was more dusk than dark - maybe the colour temperature of the bulbs makes the beam a little less obvious in those conditions.

Since then I've done a fair bit of night driving, and actually, they're pretty damn good. There's still scope for a slightly whiter bulb, but the current ones don't seem too OTT blue. I managed to find a wall in a carpark to test the beam pattern and it seems good. Nice cutoff and height - although I'd like to get that confirmed at my MOT place. I haven't had any oncoming cars flash me or anything, so I'll loosely assume things are as they should be.

I've heard of places that retrofit new projectors into headlights to get improved visibility etc can't remember the exact one i saw a recommendation for i think it could have been;

http://www.headlightretrofits.org.uk/service/4580758028

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 04:59:18 pm »
Hi AJP

Check my build thread on the latest bulbs I'm using and 100 times better than these poxy hid kits  :happy2:
I saw a bit of that, mate. LEDs aren't they? Nice to have better options down the line :)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 05:00:31 pm »

I've heard of places that retrofit new projectors into headlights to get improved visibility etc can't remember the exact one i saw a recommendation for i think it could have been;

http://www.headlightretrofits.org.uk/service/4580758028

Cheers mate. Along with the recommendation from FJ1000 that gives me plenty to go on

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 09:02:39 pm »
Hi AJP

I saw a bit of that, mate. LEDs aren't they? Nice to have better options down the line :)
yeah mate led's and I found them much brighter and definitely light the way home  :smiley: cheaper than the clear projector option unless you're ready to get the lights out and mess about with them.

Offline AllPraiseTheGti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 06:13:14 pm »
I have also just fitted a set of depo projectors last week along with a hid kit and 6000k bulbs. Mine seem to be throwing light everywhere which is what I was hoping the projectors would prevent!
I measured the two adjustment screws on my original halogens and set the depos to the same measurements. But one side is now lower than the other and as said beam pattern is abit all over the shop. I plan to try fiddling with the adjustments again to level them up atleast but a pain as have drop the bumper again  :indifferent:
They are definitely brighter and better than when I had the gods in the standard halogen lamps but I definitely need improve the setup abit as don't want blind everyone or get pulled over for it!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 11:23:40 pm »
Do the 6 O'clock mod and that should sort the beam pattern out. I've gone for led bulbs and far more superior than the hid kits. My motorway experience going to Birmingham with blinding as with on the way home it really does do the projectors justice  :happy2: