Make a donation

Author Topic: Scouting for a MK 5, things to look out for!  (Read 2489 times)

Liam_95

Scouting for a MK 5, things to look out for!
« on: September 22, 2017, 05:04:37 pm »
Recently sold my car, and after a bit of deliberating, I decided I do actually quite like the MK 5 GTI. Which leads me to asking what should I be looking out for when I go to view some?
I am currently in contact with someone regarding a GTI that's mapped to 260, exhaust intake lowered looks smart! Anything to specifically look out for on a modified one, questions to ask, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Liam_95

Re: Scouting for a MK 5, things to look out for!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:03:50 pm »
Oops forgot to add budget is around 5 obviously depending on the car.

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 08:18:01 pm »
Rust is the main problem on these cars.

Check inside of wheel arches, panels both outer and inner ones and doors.
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 08:29:51 pm »
Don't be shocked if the engine sounds like a bag of nails, they sound terrible on idle with bonnet up.

Ask about maintenance, oil changes and if the cam follower, pcv, diverter valve have ever been changed, they're not expensive to change anyway.

Offline TeamKHK

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 10:02:28 am »
Besides the all of the above, be sure to check out the door locks and make sure they all lock / unlock - if one of them is on the way out or not working at all then the door locking mechanism needs replacing. Only £25.00 for a replacement from eBay and a pretty straight forward 45 minute job per door.

Liam.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 12:18:47 pm »
Check your bank balance too. Once you buy a gti you soon won't have a balance. Lol.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 02:37:14 pm »
If it's mapped you'll want evidence that the diverter valve has been upgraded to a GFB DV+, the PCV has been renewed, the brakes should realistically have been upgraded to handle that power, the suspension is probably knackered if it's lowered and running big power.

It's very easy to modify the ECU for a bit of extra grunt, it's even easier to wreck a perfectly good car without doing the prep and maintenance work accordingly.

Ask if the oil pickup pipe has ever been cleaned or changed.

Check if you need new tyres, a reputable brand on that much power is a must or you'll kill yourself.

If it's a DSG then look for evidence on the service of the gearbox.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 04:26:05 pm »
If it's mapped you'll want evidence that the diverter valve has been upgraded to a GFB DV+, the PCV has been renewed, the brakes should realistically have been upgraded to handle that power, the suspension is probably knackered if it's lowered and running big power.

It's very easy to modify the ECU for a bit of extra grunt, it's even easier to wreck a perfectly good car without doing the prep and maintenance work accordingly.

Ask if the oil pickup pipe has ever been cleaned or changed.

Check if you need new tyres, a reputable brand on that much power is a must or you'll kill yourself.

If it's a DSG then look for evidence on the service of the gearbox.
All fair points, but I wouldn't say a GFB DV+ is a necessity. Plenty of us run big boost on either revision G or D OEM valves. Obviously if a GFB DV+ turns out to be fitted then it's a bonus, in that they should last longer than an OEM DV, and it gives some indication that the owner has some idea what he's doing.

Same with the oil pick up. Don't instantly walk away if you don't see a receipt for it. It's a job to add to the snagging list for peace of mind.

The main thing for me - especially with turbocharged cars - is regular oil. I walked away from quite a few that had been on long life servicing. Finally found mine that'd had fresh oil every year/10k minimum, and it continues to get that.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Offline Eves

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 11:10:54 pm »

Offline Dude2016

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 06:29:26 am »
Hey dude that gti looks good. Just to bear in mind  well your are on a search for s gti don't rule out the mk5 gti edition 30/mk5 gti  perelli. But depends on£££

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 12:22:07 pm »
Hey dude that gti looks good. Just to bear in mind  well your are on a search for s gti don't rule out the mk5 gti edition 30/mk5 gti  perelli. But depends on£££

I don't think you'll find one on a 5K budget. Have you considered this: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,114354.msg1094215.html#msg1094215
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:24:30 pm by Octoparrot »

Offline JamieKirk95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 07:16:10 pm »
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709179392585/sort/priceasc/usedcars/dealer/2623142/dpp/imperial-motors-birmingham-dpp-2623142/page/1/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

I personally think this one looks super and would be worth a look, one owner, mega history and looks in really good nick, no rips on the heated seats too :happy2:

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 07:56:54 pm »
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709179392585/sort/priceasc/usedcars/dealer/2623142/dpp/imperial-motors-birmingham-dpp-2623142/page/1/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

I personally think this one looks super and would be worth a look, one owner, mega history and looks in really good nick, no rips on the heated seats too :happy2:

Agreed that does look mint, well worth stretching the budget for.