Make a donation

Author Topic: NQSBBK - Rear Caliper Swapout Mod  (Read 22651 times)

Offline nicky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: NQSBBK - Rear Caliper Swapout Mod
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2013, 09:30:44 am »
Do u think they should be ok with the 18z's Dave?

Offline Flybynite

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2015, 08:38:18 pm »
Resurrecting a couple of threads on this kit

Anyone know if this would work with a newer MQB car with 272mm disks / 38mm caliper?

Or is there a better solution these days?

Offline AIR_CHILLED

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2015, 08:14:53 pm »
Thanks again Dave some great information!
I am currently gathering the pieces required for the front NQSBBK and now have a cheap OEM rear upgrade to match.
For price reference I Just required 2 x calipers off ebay from a 2005 1.6 tdi 2k caddy for £50 each.
Regards,
Mike

Offline AIR_CHILLED

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
NQSBBK - Rear Caliper Swapout Mod
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2015, 09:49:55 pm »

2k Caddy rear calipers fitted today along with braided lines.
I will report my findings on here once they are bedded in.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:30:19 pm by AIR_CHILLED »

Offline AIR_CHILLED

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2015, 09:01:00 am »
Mini review...

I chose the caddy rear calipers because I already have the front NQSBBK (Porsche 986) calipers fitted.
I love part bin / scrapyard tuning that doesn't break the bank.
NQSBBK brake set-up does not shout modified and will only attract attention from 'people in the know' (although the rear calipers externally are completely undetectable)

As mentioned before, anyone fitting bigger front brakes the S3 vented set-up is a  far superior option but is not suited to the 312mm front vs 310mm rear.

First impressions -
On the first test drive before bedding in there was a slight noticeable increase in pedal travel and I thought the increase in piston surface area was the cause but after 200 miles+ commuting to work they firmed up nicely as the new pads and discs bedded in I presume.
The epic pedal feel that the 986 caliper provides was back!
A few weeks later and +1000 miles on I took the car out for a good few drives on some tight twisty roads and this is when I noticed the difference!
Once the brakes had warmed up (standard Pagid all round) the extra power on hard braking was noticeable and the pedal feel now feels rock solid inspiring much confidence.
The rear end feels much more stable and flatter under hard braking whereas before it would nose dive more and the rear feel floaty.
The much improved brakes have now highlighted the next chassis weakness for my fast road set-up . The suspension feels far too soft now and is almost like I can feel the cars weight roll around more under braking and cornering.
Next mod = H&R ARB's
My current chassis set-up for your reference:
-H&R springs
-SALK
-Front polybushes
-Vibratechnic lower mount
-Wavetrac

I hope this post helps if your deciding on rear brake set-ups.
Caddy calipers can be found cheaply on eBay and the rebuild kits are less that £10 each.
I am very happy with the set-up and would recommend.
Thanks,
Mike.

dansmith180

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2015, 12:42:32 pm »
Mini review...

I chose the caddy rear calipers because I already have the front NQSBBK (Porsche 986) calipers fitted.
I love part bin / scrapyard tuning that doesn't break the bank.
NQSBBK brake set-up does not shout modified and will only attract attention from 'people in the know' (although the rear calipers externally are completely undetectable)

As mentioned before, anyone fitting bigger front brakes the S3 vented set-up is a  far superior option but is not suited to the 312mm front vs 310mm rear.

First impressions -
On the first test drive before bedding in there was a slight noticeable increase in pedal travel and I thought the increase in piston surface area was the cause but after 200 miles+ commuting to work they firmed up nicely as the new pads and discs bedded in I presume.
The epic pedal feel that the 986 caliper provides was back!
A few weeks later and +1000 miles on I took the car out for a good few drives on some tight twisty roads and this is when I noticed the difference!
Once the brakes had warmed up (standard Pagid all round) the extra power on hard braking was noticeable and the pedal feel now feels rock solid inspiring much confidence.
The rear end feels much more stable and flatter under hard braking whereas before it would nose dive more and the rear feel floaty.
The much improved brakes have now highlighted the next chassis weakness for my fast road set-up . The suspension feels far too soft now and is almost like I can feel the cars weight roll around more under braking and cornering.
Next mod = H&R ARB's
My current chassis set-up for your reference:
-H&R springs
-SALK
-Front polybushes
-Vibratechnic lower mount
-Wavetrac

I hope this post helps if your deciding on rear brake set-ups.
Caddy calipers can be found cheaply on eBay and the rebuild kits are less that £10 each.
I am very happy with the set-up and would recommend.
Thanks,
Mike.

Great write up mate, so you think these probably would t be good enough to balance out 340mm discs with TTRS 4pots at the front? Do more aggressive pads help? Cheers.

Offline AIR_CHILLED

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
NQSBBK - Rear Caliper Swapout Mod
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2015, 01:45:27 pm »
If it was me I would choose S3 and then Caddy 2k in that order as your gone bigger + more powerful at the front.

But yes I'm sure this mod will help shift the bias back to a standard ratio whatever that may be.
More aggressive pads would help out any enthusiastic driver but if your talking just trying to make the rear more powerful then I'm not sure if unmatched pads on each axle is a good idea because of warm up, cool down time, friction coefficient and other stuff...?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 01:49:22 pm by AIR_CHILLED »

dansmith180

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2015, 01:54:31 pm »
If it was me I would choose S3 and then Caddy 2k in that order as your gone bigger + more powerful at the front.

But yes I'm sure this mod will help shift the bias back to a standard ratio whatever that may be.
More aggressive pads would help out any enthusiastic driver but if your talking just trying to make the rear more powerful then I'm not sure if unmatched pads on each axle is a good idea because of warm up, cool down time, friction coefficient and other stuff...?

Cheers mate, yeah i would match fronts and rear as like you say best to have the same all round (same with tyres). Was thinking about trying EBC yellow stuff as my fronts are nearly done and might just grab the caddy rears with braided hoses and matching pads. Might just give it a try and go S3 route if its not enough.

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2017, 07:03:25 pm »
So.. Bringing up an older post since someone maybe done something new findings?

Is this option still the best swap to compliment the NQSBBK front brake setup or have someone discovered another way? :)
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2017, 07:35:52 pm »
I think you can buy brackets to fit NQSBBK Porsche Boxster rear calipers on but the brackets aren't cheap. 

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2017, 05:07:56 pm »
So a question for the experts here..

I'm going to do this mod to my rear brakes. Since I've got the TDI I need to buy the correct parts. Don't want to buy a complete GTI rear set if I only need a few parts. Going to have the Caddy caliper refurbed anyway so will have all new parts for it.

Should all the parts on the caddy caliper be replaced with gti calipers parts? Or can stuff like bleed nipples, dust boot for the caliper bolts and the calipers bolts be used from the caddy caliper?
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pss0tmvfuvs4b2l6r39bbac8b1&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2017, 10:40:59 am »
You use the OEM GTI carriers.

You need to swap over all of the OEM handbrake hardware over too.

Most of the rest is reused.