Make a donation

Author Topic: Rtech Stage 2/2+  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
Re: Rtech Stage 2/2+
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 07:53:53 pm »
That'll do!

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk
Nice. Bet you can feel that extra torque coming onto boost!

I was thinking of a k03 hybrid myself a while ago, although I've got a few of the bits needed for a k04 sat in a box, so I'm undecided between the two.

The Beach Buggy Turbos k03 hybrids have the anti-surge wheel I think, so that would be one advantage over a normal k04 - not having to map around the surge. But the downside of a k03 setup is the location of the DV. With an aftermarket intake and enough boost you end up with a weird and annoying resonance, like a badly played flute. This is one thing that might make me go for a k04 instead, although a k03 hybrid with the standard airbox would be an option.

Which hybrid were you thinking of going with?
I'd keep the airbox I think as I don't want the noise really and after speaking to Niki I would definitely go Beach Buggy Turbo and go for a safe figure of about 330bhp and just a little bit more torque. I'm happy how it is now as it is so drivable.

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 07:55:19 pm »
These are some great results - is your car low mileage?

I look forward to someone (else) being a trailblazer to get some mapping sorted for a BBT k03 hybrid with the standard airbox!
Cars got 85000m on it but has been nurtured to be honest.

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 08:02:54 pm »
My results and pictures have been posted on Rtech tunings Facebook if anyone wants a look.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 08:36:40 pm »
That'll do!

I was thinking of a k03 hybrid myself a while ago, although I've got a few of the bits needed for a k04 sat in a box, so I'm undecided between the two.

The Beach Buggy Turbos k03 hybrids have the anti-surge wheel I think, so that would be one advantage over a normal k04 - not having to map around the surge. But the downside of a k03 setup is the location of the DV. With an aftermarket intake and enough boost you end up with a weird and annoying resonance, like a badly played flute. This is one thing that might make me go for a k04 instead, although a k03 hybrid with the standard airbox would be an option.

I'd keep the airbox I think as I don't want the noise really and after speaking to Niki I would definitely go Beach Buggy Turbo and go for a safe figure of about 330bhp and just a little bit more torque. I'm happy how it is now as it is so drivable.

Sounds like a sensible plan. An S3 IC with the hybrid will cope fine once you get round to it. The BBT k03 hybrids have made 360bhp and close to 400lb/ft, but keeping things dialled back a bit makes a lot of sense to me.

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 08:40:30 pm »
That'll do!

Sounds like a sensible plan. An S3 IC with the hybrid will cope fine once you get round to it. The BBT k03 hybrids have made 360bhp and close to 400lb/ft, but keeping things dialled back a bit makes a lot of sense to me.
Yeah. As you know with yours Stage 2 makes these quick enough really and I'm well chuffed but it's that bloody itch that juustt creeps back!lol

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 08:50:29 pm »
That'll do!

Yeah. As you know with yours Stage 2 makes these quick enough really and I'm well chuffed but it's that bloody itch that juustt creeps back!lol

You get used to the power really quickly I'm afraid!

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 07:43:10 am »
I'm sure I read in this forum somewhere that Dan fr said an uprated clutch wasn't necessary on a k03 as an oem clutch could take anything a k03 could throw at it so when I need a new one as long as I'm not launching it all the time wouldn't an oem clutch and flywheel be ok?

Sorry, I missed this post. If Dan said that I'd dispute it, personally! Even a new OEM clutch would quickly get tired of 350+lb/ft, whether that's k03, k04 or whatever turbo makes the boost.

He might have been talking in terms of Stage 1, max. Once you start with Stage 2, and certainly with uprated pumps, the peak torque just gets too much for a standard clutch.

It gets expensive!

I'm not quite sure that what I said. If you're referring to this post (had to search!) http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106010.0/nowap.html

The OP had an 80k clutch and was only stage 1 tuned, hence why I said it will cope fine as long you don't abuse the clutch - launches, loading it up in high gears etc. It depends massively on driving style.

FYI My cars been on what was a new standard clutch for about 20k now at Stage 2+.... But since the car is a family daily, it never gets launched, or loaded up in high gears and is driven quite sedately a lot of the time. It copes with full torque in 1st, 2nd and 3rd which is all its used for when I'm out enjoying it.... Once you're up in to 3rd, the upshift to 4th misses out the peak torque RPM so it becomes less of an issue...... Don't get me wrong I could quite happily invoke slip in 6th gear at sub 3k rpm if I really wanted on a motorway, but its a non-issue that is easily avoided with a gear change since these little turbos can make over a bar of boost at sub 2k RPM in 6th....
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:50:16 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 07:52:34 am »
I'm sure I read in this forum somewhere that Dan fr said an uprated clutch wasn't necessary on a k03 as an oem clutch could take anything a k03 could throw at it so when I need a new one as long as I'm not launching it all the time wouldn't an oem clutch and flywheel be ok?

Sorry, I missed this post. If Dan said that I'd dispute it, personally! Even a new OEM clutch would quickly get tired of 350+lb/ft, whether that's k03, k04 or whatever turbo makes the boost.

He might have been talking in terms of Stage 1, max. Once you start with Stage 2, and certainly with uprated pumps, the peak torque just gets too much for a standard clutch.

It gets expensive!

I'm not quite sure that what I said. If you're referring to this post (had to search!) http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106010.0/nowap.html

The OP had an 80k clutch and was only stage 1 tuned, hence why I said it will cope fine as long you don't abuse the clutch - launches, loading it up in high gears etc. It depends massively on driving style.

FYI My cars been on what was a new standard clutch for about 20k now at Stage 2+.... But since the car is a family daily, it never gets launched, or loaded up in high gears and is driven quite sedately a lot of the time. It copes with full torque in 1st, 2nd and 3rd which is all its used for when I'm out enjoying it.... Once you're up in to 3rd, the upshift to 4th misses out the peak torque RPM so it becomes less of an issue...... Don't get me wrong I could quite happily invoke slip in 6th gear at sub 3k rpm if I really wanted on a motorway, but its a non-issue that is easily avoided.
Thanks Dan. I think that's the post I read a while ago. I'm pretty much into your way of thinking with the way I drive also and I use mine as a daily and it won't see a track either. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear pulls and a few b road blasts and I'm happy. I very rarely use a motorway and if I do I'll be sure to avoid slipping in high gears. Cheers

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:56:27 am by Craig Stanley »

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 08:10:50 am »

It gets expensive!

FYI My cars been on what was a new standard clutch for about 20k now at Stage 2+.... But since the car is a family daily, it never gets launched, or loaded up in high gears and is driven quite sedately a lot of the time. It copes with full torque in 1st, 2nd and 3rd which is all its used for when I'm out enjoying it.... Once you're up in to 3rd, the upshift to 4th misses out the peak torque RPM so it becomes less of an issue...... Don't get me wrong I could quite happily invoke slip in 6th gear at sub 3k rpm if I really wanted on a motorway, but its a non-issue that is easily avoided.
Thanks Dan. I think that's the post I read a while ago. I'm pretty much into your way of thinking with the way I drive also and I use mine as a daily and it won't see a track either. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear pulls and a few b road blasts and I'm happy. I very rarely use a motorway and if I do I'll be sure to avoid slipping in high gears. Cheers

Also when I was talking to Niki and mentioned when I come back I'll have a Helix clutch also he said if my clutch isn't slipping then it might be ok and to see how it goes as it might not be a problem. I've also read that some people have cars that cope with their clutches at all stages of tune and others may go after 15000m. I think its the old adage that all cars are different. We always hear that the tfsi's are prone to using oil but mine doesn't use a single drop from service to service and axx are the ones to avoid as they're weaker etc etc. What I'm trying to say is there are a lot of factors that come into play on each and every car. This is why I go to Rtech as its custom mapping to suit your car and style of driving.