Make a donation

Author Topic: Leroy's 2005 laser blue GTI  (Read 9287 times)

Offline Leroy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Leroy's 2005 laser blue GTI
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:40:44 pm »
Hi picked up this last weekend

Looks lovely, my favourite colour too, needs a good polish but the inside is a bit tatty, seats need a clean and lots of wear on the stereo, light switch and grab handles/window switches. If anyone can forward me a link on where to get replacement ones that work I'd be grateful. Not sure if eBay ones will do the job?

Ive got pressed plates and LED number plates lights coming. If anyone can recommend a decent LED interior light kit, that's next, I had it on my old mk4 TDI which is for sale.....

Unfortunately the suspension has seen better days, both rear springs broken, leaking front shock, a nasty knock on the front suspension as well so will need a good refresh. After reading on here I'm hoping to get H&R springs, blistering shocks and as many Standard bushes replaced as I can get my hands on.

Looking forward to tapping into the knowledge from you guys on here, don't think the GTI needs much doing to it as looks awesome to start with but do like the odd tweak here and there so will update as bits gets done.

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
Re: Leroy's 2005 laser blue GTI
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 07:31:54 am »
Nice.

For replacement handles, your best getting them from your local dealer as they will be the best price. For switches have a look on eBay for chromed tipped switches

Offline DaveyBoyWonder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 09:07:25 am »
Looks tidy on the outside and like it was owned by Freddy Kruger on the inside!

Offline Leroy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 10:14:12 pm »
Looks tidy on the outside and like it was owned by Freddy Kruger on the inside!

Your telling me! I've been looking at those sets on Aliexpress so looks like I'll be able to change the lot for not much money. Got loads of little bits and bobs ordered last few days, these are a nice little touch for not much money

Offline vag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 09:02:30 pm »
 :happy2:

You can still buy the inner door handles from dealers for not much money, that's what i done to mine last year.

Offline Leroy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 07:40:48 am »
:happy2:

You can still buy the inner door handles from dealers for not much money, that's what i done to mine last year.

Cheers Vag I will try there first.

Got the golf booked in for big service, cam belt just to be sure although the garage said it had been done last year but they have "lost" the receipts from the last 4 years!!! The suspension is getting an overhaul, I'm going to source some H&R springs to take a couple of mm off the ride height and then I'm open to suggestions on shocks? I've asked him to go to TPS and replace every bush while he is at it. Should drive like new after that.

Is there anything else I should do while it's off the road that will help prolong its life?

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 09:56:12 am »
Drop the sump and check the oil pick up perhaps?

Offline Mike58

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 04:03:12 pm »
The usual cam follower, pcv and diverter valve is a good go to for a tfsi  :happy2:

Offline Leroy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 08:49:14 pm »
Cheers guys, will at it to the list.

In the meantime, pressed plates went on today just to tidy it up, tried to add the led number plate lights but it was raining and didn't look as simple as I thought so I'll wait until I've got more time. I bought the units thinking they would just plug in but not the case. I'll prob find a thread on here that will explain that.

Offline Leroy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 08:24:14 pm »
Was toying with H&R or bilstein shocks and springs but VWR suspension kit has been ordered from awesome gti thanks to puddings review.

Got a coolant leak to sort now as well...

Offline col012

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 10:50:04 am »
your radio, theres a place in the north west Preston ICE you could go double DIN. Android radio unit, pretty good units I myself have this one - http://www.preston-i-c-e.co.uk/vw-006-oem.php

Nice choice of colour though.

Offline Leroy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 10:47:59 pm »
Nice looking head unit. I've been researching them on here, would like some of this Apple play though as I'm iPhone not android. I bought the Mrs a Tiguan TDI 4Motion sport a couple of days ago and she's got one of the new touchscreen head units and i wouldn't mind nicking that. ( lovely drive by the way, 170bhp and goes like stink)!

Something arrived from Awesome Gti today....

Can't wait for these to go on next week, getting the suspension fitted next wed/thurs, replacing any worn bushes plus cam belt, coolant leak and big service. The seller said it had fsh but couldn't back this up for the last 4 years (said cambelt was done last year but reckon he's talking ballioks so daren't take the risk). The mechanic has free reign to upgrade anything that looks worn so hoping this initial outlay will keep the old boy ticking over for the long term.

Offline col012

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 12:32:34 pm »
good luck with the service :) i did a oil change myself last year but then a tip run after to dispose of the oil......so got a garage to do it for me + a stamp in my book :smiley: got my cambelt, aux belt, waterpump & temp sensor done @ £395.00 got a stat changed for £280.00 as my temp went down on motorway, just had my wings done under warranty & headlamps polished - that was £60.00 fantastic job, next for me is alloy refurb in manchester £200.00 for the full set (18" monza) i'm tempted to go milltek catback BUT i don't want to remap yet lol its got enough HP for my liking  :laugh:

Offline Leroy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 10:34:52 pm »
good luck with the service :) i did a oil change myself last year but then a tip run after to dispose of the oil......so got a garage to do it for me + a stamp in my book :smiley: got my cambelt, aux belt, waterpump & temp sensor done @ £395.00 got a stat changed for £280.00 as my temp went down on motorway, just had my wings done under warranty & headlamps polished - that was £60.00 fantastic job, next for me is alloy refurb in manchester £200.00 for the full set (18" monza) i'm tempted to go milltek catback BUT i don't want to remap yet lol its got enough HP for my liking  :laugh:

Good to know rough costs, thanks for that. The people I bought it off said it had a full service with cambelt done last year but without receipts to prove, it would be mad to take his word for it and then have the engine destroy itself, it runs so smoothly at the moment don't want to risk it. Ruddy love this car!

Must admit I am looking forward to getting the VWR suspension setup on, I've got a real nasty knock on the front drivers side wheel and I'm getting a bit bored of topping the coolant up every other day. When I pick the car up Friday I'm hoping it will be good as new. I've hadn't had chance to start the detailing yet but will give it a good going over next weekend weather permitting, pics to follow.

Offline col012

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 08:42:11 am »
same for me weather permitting, going to give it a good 7 stage wash  :signLOL: rinse, snow foam, rinse, hand wash, clay cloth, dry, meguiars ultimate liquid wax with carnauba