Make a donation

Author Topic: New Stereo - fitting kit  (Read 4154 times)

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
New Stereo - fitting kit
« on: October 03, 2017, 08:01:01 pm »
Hi guys,

Got me a new double-din Kenwood DAB which I intend to fit myself but I'm a bit bit confused to  which fitting kit I need... was going to grab one off eBay and I know I need one with the steering wheel control adaptor (Match FSi) but do I need all the extra cage/trim etc. bits and pieces?

For example, these two: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171778983032
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172536038614 - apart from a tenner, what's the difference?

Thanks in advance  :happy2:

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
Re: New Stereo - fitting kit
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 12:32:35 pm »
The cheaper one allows you to fit a single DIN head unit - it comes with a cubby hole to fill the space below the single din.

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:51:44 pm »
Well spotted! I didn't see that... I definitely need a double :happy2:

So everything else looks good? I'm hearing conflicting things about whether I need a cage or not. Fairly easy to fit with trim tools?

Thanks.

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 07:11:35 pm »
Got all my fitting kit today, looks good! Question though; has anyone fitted a DAB aerial on their MK5 on here? It's the adhesive sort, that runs up behind the dash (any pointers?) and attaches to the windscreen. The main gubbins looks like it sits behind the front pillar trim, which without pointers, I'm a bit reluctant to touch. There's an airbag that lives behind it  :surprised:

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 07:24:06 pm »
I've fitted one to mine, disconnect the battery and wait 10mins before doing anything. Remove the airbag badge from the pillar and there's a screw behind it, remove that and the pillar then pulls of but it does take a bit of force so be careful. I removed the glove box and ran the cable down the pillar, over the top of the glove box to the back of the stereo. Be careful you don't position the little black box too close the the pillar or you will struggle to get the trim back on, take your time and trial fit before doing anything permanent. Good luck!  :happy2:

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:48:27 pm »
Nice one, and really clear instructions too! Thanks. Any reason for disconnecting the battery? I've had the fear of God put into me for doing that; don't the Windows etc. need re-syncing afterwards?

But cool, I take it there's plenty of clearance behind the pillar then? The glovebox isn't too big a job either is it? It's worth spending the time on this I guess, I want it to be right :wink:

I've just noticed I've got to fit the Bluetooth mic somewhere as well? Any thoughts on that?

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 11:41:35 pm »
Disconnect the battery to prevent the airbags being accidentally set off, I've got my dab ariel fixed to the passenger side of the windscreen, for the mic I had a long lead so I ran it over the glove box, up the passenger pillar, across the top of the windscreen, tucking the cable under the headlining, and then down to hook the bracket into the join between drivers pillar and the headlining. I could then angle the mic towards my face.

Offline ds2601

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 12:01:57 am »
What Kenwood did you get?
MK5 GTI 2008, DSG Auto

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 05:17:28 pm »
Hi guys,

FINALLY got around to *attempting* to fit today; found the first part easy, all the trim removal etc, whipping the old head unit out, piece of pi$$ :wink:

Then the fun and games began with the new unit and all the various wiring options etc. The kit I bought said specifically that there was no cutting of wires involved and that the wire harness supplied was for Kenwood. I have a Kenwood DPX-7000DAB by the way ds2601.

I've got the steering wheel control adaptor in the mix as well so I think that could be part of the problem but even the cage fitting, aligning etc. wasn't easy... I've fitted loads of single din radios in my time, and I was actually getting a bit sentimental this afternoon whilst trying to fit this one!

I've got my auto electrician friend coming over tomorrow to lend a hand. I just wondered if in the meantime anyone else wanted to share their experiences? I feel really deflated right now  :confused:

Offline ds2601

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 08:28:21 pm »
I have just fitted a Kenwood (dnx7170dabs) the fitting kit I had was quite straight forward, pretty much just plug and play and with the mfsw adaptor I had to just pull out 2 of the jumper wires and then connect two wires together  :rolleye:
Good luck with your one  :happy2:
MK5 GTI 2008, DSG Auto

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 08:51:45 pm »
Yep, thinking I'm making progress... just reconnected the battery and it was all systems go! - my steering wheel volume control even worked!

My observations so far: I'm using Connects2 kit, came recommended, yet so far I've had to snip 2 unused wires (can be reconnected if I change manufacturers) and join a wire to one of the stereo power outs - specifically for the steering remote. It even had a little label on it :laugh:

I'm also using their analogue aerial kit, even though I'll be fitting a DAB tomorrow. My stock head unit had 2x fakra adaptors is it, and this new cable only has one. I'm guessing its personal preference which one I use? Anyway, how do I power it up, I'm guessing I use a spare 12v from somewhere on the harness? An ideas?

@ds2601 - how have you installed your DAB/Bluetooth mic. I'd be interested to know how you fitted it, specifically how you routed the cables.

Thanks.

Offline ds2601

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 09:57:01 pm »
I had the connects 2 kit also, I don't know if the mfsw buttons work as I am waiting for them to come  :signLOL:
On your small black connector block next to the red wire do you have a blue wire? if it is missing then the blue wire from arial kit plugs in there! if there is a blue wire there then follow it back to the large black connector block and put your blue wire in the free space in your car harness.
DAB arial is as Octoparrot says over glove box and up pillar, mic goes behind instrument cluster and up drivers pillar  :happy2:
MK5 GTI 2008, DSG Auto

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 10:02:32 pm »
I had the connects 2 kit also, I don't know if the mfsw buttons work as I am waiting for them to come  :signLOL:
On your small black connector block next to the red wire do you have a blue wire? if it is missing then the blue wire from arial kit plugs in there! if there is a blue wire there then follow it back to the large black connector block and put your blue wire in the free space in your car harness.
DAB arial is as Octoparrot says over glove box and up pillar, mic goes behind instrument cluster and up drivers pillar  :happy2:

Thanks mate! Will investigate tomorrow... so from what you've/I've said, we seem to have pretty much followed the same path? I honestly didn't think they'd be any wiring at all though, that's my only comment so far.

I'll look for the the missing blue, and if it isn't there it should just pop in the slot, right? And that should sort out the analogue aerial. I had no signal at all earlier with out it connected.

So the DAB/Bluetooth cable routing, did you have to remove anything (glove box etc.) else apart from the a pillar trim?

Thanks.

Offline ds2601

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 10:22:03 pm »

Thanks mate! Will investigate tomorrow... so from what you've/I've said, we seem to have pretty much followed the same path? I honestly didn't think they'd be any wiring at all though, that's my only comment so far.

I'll look for the the missing blue, and if it isn't there it should just pop in the slot, right? And that should sort out the analogue aerial. I had no signal at all earlier with out it connected.

So the DAB/Bluetooth cable routing, did you have to remove anything (glove box etc.) else apart from the a pillar trim?

Thanks.

I had to remove glovebox and pillar trim for DAB and instrument cluster to run mic (this part was done by my mate who is an auto electrician and done to remove an old previously run phone kit)
MK5 GTI 2008, DSG Auto

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 10:29:59 pm »

Thanks.

I had to remove glovebox and pillar trim for DAB and instrument cluster to run mic (this part was done by my mate who is an auto electrician and done to remove an old previously run phone kit)
I see... sounds like quite a lot of extra work then? Especially the instrument cluster!

Had a sneaky quick look and it doesn't look like I have any free slots on the back of the head unit for the aerial power but there is a wire with "Ant.Cont" on it, with a bit of tape on it. Similar to the steering remote wire I used. Could that be used?