Make a donation

Author Topic: GoPro Hero HD doesn't always record (produces loads of jpegs)  (Read 1570 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
GoPro Hero HD doesn't always record (produces loads of jpegs)
« on: October 04, 2017, 10:45:39 pm »
Guys,

Had my GoPro Hero from new (the basic £100 Hero that they ran for a bit as the budget offer) for quite some time now, it's done many a Nurburgring and track day trip and is always pretty sharp and reliable.

Occasionally it will fail to record say 15-20% of clips it's asked on a busy day using the quick capture and instead it seems to produce a sh*tload of jpeg stills rather than grab the video.

Anyone know how to stop it or prevent it from doing that?

:thinking:

Thanks  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
Re: GoPro Hero HD doesn't always record (produces loads of jpegs)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 04:40:16 pm »
How are you starting the recording? If using the once touch mode, pressing the top button once with the camera off to start the recording, be careful not to hold the button down for more than a split second. If when off the top button is held down until the camera powers on, it will go into photo burst capture mode rather than video. I've done this a few times by accident on snowboarding trips.

Could explain it?

Otherwise - check the type of card you are using. I've had weird behaviors with supposed "class 10" cards which weren't on gopro's list of recommended ones. Stick to one they recommend and that'll rule any weird read/write issue out.  :happy2:
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Re: GoPro Hero HD doesn't always record (produces loads of jpegs)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 04:53:30 pm »
Indeed matey - the 'quick capture', by clicking it once on top from 'off'.

Perhaps I'm safer to use the capture function through the menu with it already powered on, then? I've had this a couple of times now on my last Ring trip and the lads who weren't so experienced with it also had the same issue, so it might be a fat finger/delayed press situation  :doh:    Ooops  :laugh:

Good point re. the card, I'll check. I've got a few I can swap it around for so will see if it's a class 10  :popcornsoda:

Thanks for explanation, seems likely :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door