Make a donation

Author Topic: Help with a fault code please P2187  (Read 6793 times)

Offline trackep

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Help with a fault code please P2187
« on: October 05, 2017, 11:33:37 am »
Hi guys. My local garage doesn't have the full VCDS but my car has this fault code P2187 Bank 1 lean at idle no signal/no communication. The car drives fine with no issue. Just wondered if anyone had come across this before or any ideas where to start to fix the problem. He did clear the code and it returned about 4 days later. Thanks in advance Adam

Offline trackep

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Help with a fault code please P2187
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:12:56 am »
anybody??

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:03:20 am »
Why don't you Google it?   In 5 seconds I already saw some potential causes.....

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 04:20:14 am »
Hi guys. My local garage doesn't have the full VCDS but my car has this fault code P2187 Bank 1 lean at idle no signal/no communication. The car drives fine with no issue. Just wondered if anyone had come across this before or any ideas where to start to fix the problem. He did clear the code and it returned about 4 days later. Thanks in advance Adam
Usually it's the 1st position O2 sensor, but you need to check your fuel trims...both STFT(group 033) block 1 and the LTFT(group 032) blocks 1 & 2. Group 032-Block 1(LTFT at idle) will be a high positive number if you have a leak and it is correcting a lean condition at idle...and is usually a large leak. Group 032-Block 2(LTFT) will also be a high positive number if a lean condition is detected under normal driving conditions "off idle"...and is usually a small leak or other condition causing the addition of more fuel. Either code just means a leak somewhere or in other cases it's the 1st position O2 sensor. You can do either first...check for leaks or replace the first(lambda) O2 sensor...then move on to the other.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:15:03 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline trackep

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 01:15:53 pm »
@ROH ECHT Thank you very much for such a detailed reply, much appreciated. When you say leak, is that meaning air leak? Also forgot to mention i have not long had the car stage 1 mapped. Could that be a contributing factor? Thanks again.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 06:12:01 pm »
Yes, air, more air is being introduced. At idle, it's usually something disconnected or badly sealed like in the vid and thus noticed as there is more vac at idle, but if not seen in the Group 032 LTFT-at idle-block 1(refer to the vid @2:15 to 3:00) then it's likely to be the O2 sensor.

Having the car mapped shouldn't affect it unless very poorly mapped. It's more likely that something was connected poorly...perhaps the intake or anything else recently loosened and re-tightened. Again, it may just be a failed O2. Just doesn't hurt to think on what's recently been handled and recheck those connections as well as all others related to air and vac. Sometimes there's a new leak...something popped off or a new crack in a hose/tube. You can do a smoke test through the intake, but have the ignition on/not running/and have someone open the throttle while inducing with smoke into the intake that you've mostly sealed except for a small tube or hose you can plug after each introduction of smoke.

I tend to replace bits first and if the condition isn't corrected...I swap the bits back and begin searching for alternate causes...leaving me with a spare for later use.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:37:03 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline trackep

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 01:20:28 pm »
@ROH ECHT Again, thank you very much. I stripped the intake off had poke about then made sure all the intake was fitted perfect again. It's been about a week now and hasn't come back on so hopefully that was it. Thanks again!!!! Adam

Offline eric87

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:02:42 am »
I had this same error code. After a bit of inspecting the usual suspects i found the brake booster vacuum hoses both split, 1 on both ends too. Replaced the whole part including check valve for the same as below linked and it solved the issue!

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/brake-booster-hose/1k0612041gm/