Make a donation

Author Topic: Powerflex Engine and Trans Inserts  (Read 11234 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Powerflex Engine and Trans Inserts
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2017, 02:20:25 pm »
Mine should arrive this week but I think I'm just going to get them fitted with my new LSD. :thinking:

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 12:44:38 pm »
Any more feedback now you've had these a few weeks @Dan_FR ? How involved are they to fit in terms of Labour time?
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 02:05:22 pm »
There's some positive recent feedback on link below. These inserts seem like a great idea.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/529405700525327/?fref=nf

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 03:06:55 pm »
No complaints from me. Still very happy with them - big improvement without shaking my fillings loose.

Labour at a garage or DIY? Both sides are an hour maximum in a garage.. I did both of mine in about 15-20 minutes in all honesty - block of wood across the sump using a low profile alu jack to support the engine (didnt even need to remove my under tray or jack the car up) - Drivers side is easily accessible and a 5 minute job with a windy/battery gun. Gearbox side is a little longer as you have to remove the battery, battery tray, aftermarket intake etc. but still a 10 minute job with a battery/windy gun
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:47:07 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 04:08:48 pm »
Sounds like one to add to the to-do list, then! I have a good set of basic hand tools and a jack (though maybe not low profile enough, remains to be seen!). It sounds like even without the windy I may only looking at an hour for DIY?

That means the saving from not paying garage charges covers the cost of the inserts themselves. (man-math at its finest there  :signLOL:)

Thanks all.
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 04:19:17 pm »
I also have the inserts and am pretty impressed with them . A really good , cost affective mod .

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 07:49:36 am »
Has anybody else had these fitted and have some feedback to share?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2018, 11:57:05 am »
I fitted the top Powerflex inserts recently. I already had the lower engine mount full bush from Vibratechnics. No added noticeable NVH from the inserts. The engine moves less, which is what I wanted. :smiley:

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2018, 12:07:40 pm »
Thanks for sharing Shoduchi.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2019, 05:51:26 pm »
Thought I'd share my experiences with these engine/trans inserts.

The positives:

Engine rock is greatly reduced and the (manual) gearshift is also improved.  Cheap and easy to fit.

NVH:

Nothing added at idle and part throttle cruising, if anything it idles a fair bit smoother.  I do get a bit of noise/coarseness when accelerating from 2000rpm upwards but it smoothes out as the engine temperature rises.  Overall NVH is a lot better than full aftermarket mounts but there's definitely an increase in NVH. A lot more than I was expecting given the feedback in this thread. Maybe some cars experience less, but in my manual ED30 it's very noticeable!

The negatives:

Whilst the concept is a good idea and very cost effective, it is ultimately flawed in practice.  Why? Because you have two different density materials occupying the same space which aren't bonded to each other or securely fixed in place.  I did already consider this before I bought them, but thought f'ck it, try them anyway.

If you consider the physics.....the gearbox side with the shortest and more rigid driveshaft, and less weight, it tries to pivot the whole drivetrain to the right when you floor it.

This theory was apparently true on the road after a bit of midrange acceleration. The car abruptly kicked to the right.  I got back home and found this:

As I suspected, the opposing force of the transmission side forced the engine mount insert out.

So to solve this problem, I did this:

I also had to shorten the main insert legs as they pressed hard against the engine side bracket, preventing them from going fully in.  The securing tangs therefore had to be cut off, but the 2 x M6 bolts keep the upper insert in place, so it's not a problem.

This remedial action shouldn't be necessary, but hey, it's only a 30 quid mod and the reinforcements do the trick  :happy2:

I haven't checked the gearbox side yet as it's under the battery, so not easy to see without a wifi borescope camera thing but I suspect it will be fine due to the reasons above.  If the inserts have walked out, I will apply the same measures.

You can clearly see in this pic how far off the bolt holes are when the mount is restored back to it's correct position with the inserts!  The gearbox mount is the worst one for wear and NVH.

So in summary, not that great in my opinion, but the low cost of them makes them worth a shot and the NVH is minimal at best, to acceptable at worst. Just be prepared to modify them if you want them as a long term solution.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 08:24:29 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2019, 06:03:24 pm »
Oh, and be careful with the two M12 x 70mm bolts that attach the mount to the engine bracket.   With all this removal/refitting of the mounts, the threads stripped out on the main bracket  :doh:   

Tomorrow I'll be helicoiling the threads, hopefully without having to remove the bracket from the engine as drill space is tight. 

Moral of the story - don't f'ck with your daily a day or two before it's needed for work  :grin:

Offline Cosmos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • 376bhp 423lbs torque
  • My Ride: Golf Gti Edition 30
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2019, 01:30:13 am »
I noticed the same thing happening on my drivers mount with it squeezing the inserts out...

They were fitted over a year ago and noticed it early in the summer so i removed the inserts, refitted them and pumped in a bit of clear silicone in places to hold them in place and have been keeping an eye on it and so far so good.

Am going to check the gearbox insert when ive got time over the xmas holidays. Fingers crossed its not done a similar thing.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 01:41:45 am by Cosmos »

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2019, 02:01:02 pm »
My RH / engine mount inserts are also dislocated after several hundred miles use.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2019, 04:15:35 pm »
Good stuff, glad the silicon is holding  :happy2:  I think my 6mm steel plate to hold the insert in is a bit overkill but the insert is going nowhere!

Managed to Helicoil the engine mount bracket today which was a relief as I need the car for work on Monday.  Thank god for my local Machine Mart is all I can say!

The vibration has reduced considerably since putting the mount back on, which is weird, but I'm happy with it all now.

The engine bracket really does not like frequent removal/torquing up of the bolts.  Still, the helicoils are a lot stronger than the original threads, so it was worth doing.

Offline Cosmos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • 376bhp 423lbs torque
  • My Ride: Golf Gti Edition 30
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2019, 07:00:02 pm »
Looks like i talked too soon as checked again today and it has squeezed out again.Going to devise something like you have
Looking at it now i was daft to think silicone would hold it in place lol
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 07:05:43 pm by Cosmos »