Make a donation

Author Topic: Wedding Cost  (Read 4639 times)

Offline welikeaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Wedding Cost
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 07:12:07 am »
Our wedding all in cost around £11k.

That was flights to Malta for us, accommodation at a 4* hotel for 4 nights for 16 guests, a week for 8 guests (half board for everyone)

The wedding itself, the 5 course evening meal, evening entertainment, a Maserati for the day, a fabia for the rest of the week. Her dress, my suit, a 14 day honeymoon in Bali and spending money.

Snap we also got married in Malta, 5* hotel and had a seven night stay. Honeymooned in Sicily as you can get boat from Malta over. We had a reception in the UK afterwards so essentially got to have two wedding days.

You save lots of money by doing things yourselves; we made our own invites using templates from Etsy and getting external companies to do the printing, we  did all the decorations ourselves. As other have said if you get married on the weekends it’s more expensive than say a weekday.

Word of warning though we calling companies try not to mention the wedding straight away as that when they add the wedding tax which is around 30%.

Good Luck

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 05:09:10 pm »
I'm pretty sure did ours for about £1500.00 but the trick is to avoid hotel and find a really nice village club which has had a recent refurb and the function room LOOKS like you are in a hotel. So not a grotty, play bingo and get a pint of mild place but a place which has a nice bowling green outside, decent bar, stage for a singer/dj and somewhere to seat all guests.

We then paid £400.00 for local butcher to do a hog roast and rest of food made ourselves ie people chipped in with a different dish.

if you can save on the venue the rest falls into place for reasonable cost
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline willk86

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 03:24:34 pm »
My wife and I got married 2 years ago in Cheshire. Wasn't really my choice, had to compromise to have children lol.

We paid around 18k which included top notch food, alot of booze, photographer, dresses, suits etc, we could of done it cheaper but the location and food were better then budget.

We saved on bits were others may spend more ie flowers, cake and dresses etc.

It's all kind of case by case but I would echo the point made where by you need to set a budget because once you mention wedding the 0's soon get added on.

My wife said it helps to know priorities so you know where you can save money, e.g. we like food so spent money there but wasn't too fussed about too many decorations etc.

Dresses and suits can be cheaper from the high street shops rather then hiring.

Here's a rough idea on what we paid;

The venue £3.5k
Registrar £400ish
Food and drinks £6k
Dress £1200
3x suits and 3x shoes £400
2x bridesmaids dresses £160
Cake £200
Photographer £750
Band £700
Rings £1600
Flowers and decorations £600
Make up and hair £400
Favours £100
Miscellaneous gifts £300
Mini moon £500
Various other bits along the way

We got married on a Wednesday as it happens to be our anniversary which was also 3k cheaper.

There are some very good hotel packages available these days for around 3-5k which will include some form of entertainment, food and drink sometimes decorations and the hire of the venue.

Off season times such as November, January(not new years lol), February(not Valentine's lol) and March are cheaper and you can pick up cheaper photographer's, bands, caterers etc around then.

Haggle on everything, the worst they can say is no. Most high street jewellers will give 10% off if you ask for a deal.

Prices do go up each year too so some times is counter intuitive if your thinking of saving and having a longer engagement.

I hope this helps lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 10:17:46 pm »
Our wedding was cheap and many years ago and it still brings a smile to my face, best wedding I've ever been too (or a close second to walking my girls down the isle) .......anywho moving along........

We've helped with both our daughters "big days". Wedding can fit any budget but that budget really REALLY needs fixing and setting in stone. Stray from the budget path and all hell is let loose. Venue and food and the biggies, get those sorted within your allowance and you're half way there. Only part I recommended was the best available for our girls was the photographer/photo album as it's the only part you'll take with you after the day and when you're old and senile (like me) it's the only way you'll remember it.

But as others have said it's all about the people you share the day with, not the venue, the food, the dress, the cake, or keeping up with the bloody Jones and as for the people.....does great Aunt Vera really need to be there, only time you see here if from one do to the next, keep those numbers down to the people the happy couple really want there.

All IMHO.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 11:36:22 am »
Thanks for the responses.....So far we have booked the venue (£6300 Sept 2019) booked the Caterer (£45 per head) booked pghotographer ((£1200ish).
The venue is the cost that amazed me. The Tudor Barn, Belstead....its on Facebook. Nice place but £6300 !

www.thetudorbarnbelstead.co.uk
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:39:58 am by garrardrj »
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,75444.0.html
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 12:55:34 pm »
I'm getting married May 2018. Been saving as much as possibly while owning VW's and Audi's (constantly fixing).
With help from the fiancee father. Input of £10,000. My parents also around £2-3,000.
So far that budget combined £13,000 has gone already pretty much. Based on 130 people. So far its got us...
- Caterers.
- Canvas Marque + add-ons.
- Photographer + extra photographer at discounted rate.
- Toilets.
- Church.
- Band.
Venue is at the in-laws property (free obviously)

Still need to get a generator, alcohol etc, suits. Extra £1-2,000 estimated.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:58:06 pm by GTiBlues »

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 05:04:48 pm »
Probs around 12-13k. Absolutely bonkers really as soon as you put the wedding label on something the price doubles.
We're getting married in September church wedding and a teepee reception on a farm with campsite by the side of the church