Make a donation

Author Topic: Car losing power mid-high range  (Read 5184 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Car losing power mid-high range
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 05:40:27 pm »
Be sure to report back what the problem was  :happy2:

Are your symptoms anything like this? http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,114177.0.html

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline goku4ever

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 06:30:37 pm »
Be sure to report back what the problem was  :happy2:

Are your symptoms anything like this? http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,114177.0.html

Will def report back.

Nothing like what’s mentioned on the linked post. I’m not losing coolant nor oil. If I put my foot down you can hear the turbo nicely, but as the revs go higher that’s when the problem start.

Spoke to Rtech to try and find a bit of history on car, and guess what, it was previously  mapped on k04 conversion but the person I bought the car is denying it. DSG has been mapped, VCDS shows the figures changed. My main concern is if it’s still on K04 map? And if not, who remapped it when it was reverted to k03, def not rtech.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:34:34 pm by goku4ever »

Offline goku4ever

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 03:54:01 pm »
Loud whistling / screeching when you put your foot down and no power, plus sh*te mpg........hmmmm.   If it were me I would be dropping the downpipe to check for turbo shaft play.   Obviously internet advice is pure speculation without seeing the car, but it sounds to me like the turbo's compressor wheel is rubbing the housing.  It would certainly explain the complete absence of any power.

Take that as worst case but it really needs to get to a workshop for more in-depth analysis.

Lol, love the pudding reference  :grin:  I am a bit partial to a syrup sponge  :laugh:

You were absolutely spot on. Had the car checked and the turbo wheel is rubbing against the housing. Boost is 1.7.
The car was previously mapped by Rtech on K04, the guys that looked at the car believe that its still running on a K04 map (currently car has k03 turbo) and that could be the cause.

What are my options? get a new turbo and map?
Can the current turbo be rebuilt?

Thank you

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 05:26:35 pm »
Doesn't surprise me mate.  Many more turbos will go the same way because tuners over spin them.

As luck would have it - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,114674.0.html

That would be a better option than rebuilding it and you can carry on running it as a KO4 configuration, but perhaps get a remap to lower the boost and the new turbo will live a lot longer. 

Offline goku4ever

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 06:18:48 pm »
Thought about going the K04 route but cant afford it right now as im guessing i'll need all the other bits for it in addition to the turbo for a conversion (aprox £1.5k).

Think i might source a K03 and get a remap

Really disappointed as i only had the car for a very short period, but love it to bits.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 09:04:53 pm »
Thought about going the K04 route but cant afford it right now as im guessing i'll need all the other bits for it in addition to the turbo for a conversion (aprox £1.5k).

Think i might source a K03 and get a remap

Really disappointed as i only had the car for a very short period, but love it to bits.
Don't despair mate. As bad as it seems many of us on here spend more money chasing more (apparently) minor issues. Point is, at least you know the issue.

You might be able to pick up a used and healthy k03 for a steal. A k04 is more desirable and commands a price. Was always the way with the 1.8T scene and it's the way now.

My k03 has done 80 odd k, and it's still sound. It wouldn't be any less sound on another car. I'm not trying to sell you mine, but sourcing a cheap k03 to get you running might make things a bit smoother.

Offline goku4ever

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 10:34:02 am »
Thanks AJP

Does anyone know the part number for the K03 for BWA? Called TPS n the quoted me 876 plus VAT. They refused to give me the part number.

Currently looking at two on eBay, 06F 145 701 H from an Audi TT and one from a BWE engine, will these fit on the Gti?

Thank you

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 10:39:30 am »
Ask on the Facebook group TFSI Parts for sale/wanted - I bet there will be a fair few people who have removed them in favour of an upgrade.

Catching up on this post however, Why not try and determine what map you currently have, what hardware i.e. injectors, MAP sensor, rail pressure sensor etc. as it may not be that much more expensive to find a used K04 for £350-400ish and put the car back to how it should be (and may be mapped for!?) If you are seeing 1.7 bar of boost then you definitely still have software calibrated for the K04 3 BAR Map sensor as the K03 sensor will only read 2500mbar absolute pressure (i.e. 1.5 Bar of boost)

1.7 bar of boost would likely kill a K03 pretty quickly
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 03:35:20 pm »
Slightly confused.   So the previous owner K04'd it, then put it back to K03 spec but left the K04 map on it, and then sold it as a 'GTI'?

Hmmmm.  Anyway...... If you want to keep it as a K03, perhaps consider a K03 hybrid, which will have proper 360 degree thrust bearings in it (stock are 270 or something naff like that), not to mention better turbine and compressor wheels, so will be a lot better than a plain vanilla K03.   Situations like this are a good opportunity to improve, upgrade and come out the other side better off, performance and reliability wise.   Run it up to the max of 1.5 bar as Dan said regarding the MAP sensor and all will be golden.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 05:57:17 pm »
Thanks AJP

Does anyone know the part number for the K03 for BWA? Called TPS n the quoted me 876 plus VAT. They refused to give me the part number.

Currently looking at two on eBay, 06F 145 701 H from an Audi TT and one from a BWE engine, will these fit on the Gti?

Thank you

Click on the relavant item number 1

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/GOLF/year/2007/drive_standart/614/hg_ug/145/subcategory/145065/part_id/3687217/lang/e

Which will go to another page click Europe and it will show all the models and years it's fitted to, hope it makes sense.

Offline goku4ever

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 06:28:14 pm »

So i had my car turbo checked again by a well known person (in the TDI scene) and he said the turbo is fine and not actually playing and no boost leak. The previous owner did have a lot work done to car, at one point he had 360-370bhp on K04. According to the tuner, the car is running on a tuned ed30 map (didnt know this at the time of purchasing the car).

So went a head and left the car with him to be remapped. Car currently has a decat and RAMAIR induction kit. From the data he gathered while mapping it, he believes the car is pushing approximately 280bhp. Car is running and pulling a lot better now but the noise i previously described is still there, but not as loud as before.

While tuning the car, he was able to get the car to aprox 300bhp but the injectors were maxed. He believes the turbo might be a hybrid as it was producing more than it should and believes it can do more if the injectors were to be upgraded.

I'll definitely get it on the rollers when i get the chance.

Anyways, do you think if I was to get S3 injectors i'll see any benefits? Is there anyway i can actually confirm i do have a K03 hybrid? I've read S3 injectors are pointless on a standard K03!

Thanks

Im averaging 17mpg now where as before it was 14mpg. Still not great but not sure what i should be getting after a remap. Mainly city driving.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:06:00 am by goku4ever »