Make a donation

Author Topic: New Key fob shell for less than a pound  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
New Key fob shell for less than a pound
« on: February 02, 2018, 05:36:21 pm »
Thought I'd share this....

I recently picked up a new replacement case for my key from aliexpress for £1.68, it's come down in price since then:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KEYYOU-Folding-Car-Remote-Flip-Key-Shell-Case-Fob-For-Volkswagen-Vw-Jetta-Golf-Passat-Beetle/32822183218.html

It was delivered under 2 weeks and the quality is surprisingly good, I'll have a go at swapping the internals this weekend and will let you know how I get on.

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
Re: New Key fob shell for less than a pound
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:20:21 pm »
Have you researched into the transponder inside the key? Be carful when doing the swap  :happy2:

N14hta

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 12:30:16 pm »
Good deal, the immoboliser chip inside isnt too hard to get out. I soaked mine in acetone for around 30 minutes and the glue was loose enough to pry it out although I wouldnt recommend using a knife to cut around without soaking just incase you damage the chip

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 07:30:51 am »
I didn't know the chip was the glued in.

My wife once dropped our keys down the drains (I know cliché). I fished them out and stripped them down to dry and the chip just popped out. They had been sitting in the drains for 3hrs, perhaps the water softened the glue. The keys were fine once they dried out.

I'm yet to swap the bits across.

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 06:44:47 pm »
So got round to fitting it.

One of the locating pins for the circuit board was ever so slightly out so I just snipped it off, doesn't seem to be an issue. The cavity for the chip is open so if you split the key there's a chance it can fall out, I guess this was done make assembley simpler. I blocked it up with a hot glue gun, not wanting to take any chances of it falling out.

Took 10mins, key sticks out ever so slightly when in closed position but overall 8/10 I'd say. I'll have to order up a vw emblem at some point.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 03:14:00 pm »
Hmm, not sure I could carry on using any part of a key which had been soaking in poo and wee for 3 hours.

£1 is certainly a lot cheaper than the £180 VW want for a new key.    That is the whole thing, inc coding mind.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 06:06:03 pm »
Hmm, not sure I could carry on using any part of a key which had been soaking in poo and wee for 3 hours.

Lol, smell goes eventually. Rest assure,  it was it a rain water drain on the side of the road.