Make a donation

Author Topic: Rattles from rear of car  (Read 7238 times)

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
Rattles from rear of car
« on: October 11, 2017, 04:26:08 pm »
I had one or two really persistent rattles that at first were hard to find, eventually I tracked them down to the door catches. 3 of the door catches now have a few turns of insulating tape wrapped around them and it's as quiet as a church in there now  :love:
It's into the dealers to see what they can do with it next week, in the meantime they look like this:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Rattles from rear of car
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 02:35:41 pm »
Amazing in this day and age that they cant get stuff like this right.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 03:42:32 pm »
I tell you what worse is the standard of service from the main dealers who try and fix these things.

This is what happened today:

With very limited time I turn up, she can’t find a record of the booking (the service manager noted the loan car for today’s date but didn’t add the appointment booking date). Before she’s determined that there is actually a booking she presents me with a service technician saying ‘this is so&so, he’s going to come out with you’. ‘No he’s not I say, ‘I haven’t got time for that. I’ve been through all of this with your service manager, I’ve found the problem and taped up the door catches’. She goes to see the service manager, nearly 5 mins later she’s back with a really crappy attitude so I end tearing the paperwork up she asked me to fill in, throwing it across her desk and telling her I’ll come back when she has a better attitude calling them idiots as I left.

The service manager never told me I’d need to go for a drive with a technician so I couldn't plan for this as. He’s been torn off a strip as well now, not that I think he gives a sh*t. He said he’ll also talk to the woman that tried to book me in about her attitude.

I really really really miss JKM. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to have a lease car serviced there.

So this'll be the first and last VW I lease. F**kwits.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:17:57 pm by flashp »

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 04:04:32 pm »
Had my GTD in for warranty replacement of a top mount, strangely similar experience to yours.

Got there on my lunch break as arranged, no sign of my original booking, had to suggest they look it up a different way, eventually found it, no loan car ready, gave me a brand new passat which was filthy, full of rubbish, empty water bottles and no diesel in the tank. Staff had obviously been using it. Had to stop the mechanic from getting into my car with no seat cover. What should have been a 10 minute in/out was 40 mins of nonsense and an unprofessional farce. Absolutely disgraceful.

Tore them to shreds when i picked my car up and on their feedback online survey and was contacted by them to offer an apology etc. They asked if I could come in for a chat, refused and told them I'd never be back. Got the VW Ireland feedback email a few days later and destroyed the dealer on that too. Haven't heard back from VWI.

Not really a surprise.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:24:47 pm by mkmg76 »

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 04:15:12 pm »
I'm going to keep the strikers taped up and enjoying a quieter life by never visiting them again.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 04:16:58 pm »
Had my GTD in for warranty replacement of a top mount, strangely similar experience to yours.

Got there on my lunch break as arranged, no sign of my original booking, had to suggest they look it up a different way, eventually found it, no loan car ready, gave me a brand new passat which was filthy, full of rubbish, empty water bottles and no diesel in the tank. Staff had obviously been using it. Had to stop the mechanic from getting into it with no seat cover. What should have been a 10 minute in/out was 40 mins of nonsense and an unprofessional farce. Absolutely disgraceful.

Tore them to shreds when i picked my car up and on their feedback online survey and was contacted by them to offer an apology etc. They asked if I could come in for a chat, refused and told them I'd never be back. Got the VW Ireland feedback email a few days later and destroyed the dealer on that too. Haven't heard back from VWI.

Not really a surprise.
Bad show isn't it.
VW are not enjoying good press these days are they.

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 04:26:37 pm »

Got there on my lunch break as arranged, no sign of my original booking, had to suggest they look it up a different way, eventually found it, no loan car ready, gave me a brand new passat which was filthy, full of rubbish, empty water bottles and no diesel in the tank. Staff had obviously been using it. Had to stop the mechanic from getting into it with no seat cover. What should have been a 10 minute in/out was 40 mins of nonsense and an unprofessional farce. Absolutely disgraceful.

Not really a surprise.
Bad show isn't it.
VW are not enjoying good press these days are they.

Very bad.

It's disheartening when the people selling/servicing the cars you have such an interest in don't share your enthusiasm for the brand and it's image.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 04:21:45 pm »
A 2015 GTD I have regular use of doesn't have this rattle problem.  There's either something missing from the door latch, or the striker loop needs tweaking a bit.   MK2s and MK3s had a bit of heat shrunk plastic on the striker pin (like your tape) from the factory  :grin:

The brand and image aren't there anymore unfortunately.   It's all about volume sales and profit margins now.  Even if a dealer does show a bit of interest and customer service, it all feels a bit contrived.

I remember in Ipswich VW years and years ago, seeing a pair of brand new Corrado Storms in the showroom.  A mystic blue manual with black leather, and a Classic green auto with cream leather. The sales boys and the parts guys were like excited kids around them.  You just don't see that enthusiasm anymore.

FWIW, my local dealer (Inchcape Colchester) are very good and not your usual apathetic dealership.

Not surprised you miss JKM.  They are few and far between.  They did an epic job of my mate's Corrado VR6 Turbo back in the day.  JKM don't know how to do a crap job.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 04:43:14 pm »
The brand and image aren't there anymore unfortunately.   It's all about volume sales and profit margins now.  Even if a dealer does show a bit of interest and customer service, it all feels a bit contrived.

Agreed.  :happy2:

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 02:58:59 pm »
In other news ..... just had my ( your-flashp) car at Jkm ... as always a top service and a pleasure to deal with  :ashamed:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 11:02:20 am »
You got yourself a damned good car there mate  :happy2:

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 07:20:17 pm »
You got yourself a damned good car there mate  :happy2:

Yep ... just needs some ohlins and Loba/apr fuel pump now  :driver:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 01:52:00 pm »
The Ohlins are fab!  Even on the sh*tty roads around the Tonbridge Wells / Hastings area.  They really are appalling, but Oliver Lins keeps the car stable and on track over the roughest, crashiest, bangiest holes and bumps!

If I ever buy a MK7 or 8, they'll be getting a set of Olivers immediately!

Offline Cherylkix

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • , , ,
    • Email
Rattles from rear of car
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 12:51:12 am »
Thanks for the advise , just done it with no real problems apart from the weather and several faces full of mud and rust. Tried it over some speed bumps and no more knocking . Thanks again Mike

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 08:11:59 pm »
arranged test drive mk7 clubsport salesman out another guy stepped in clueless after 10mins says the car was sold night before went mad original guy turns up had a right go at him. Started to leave salesman 2 comes after me all apologetic says give me a chance to put things right. Tell me what your looking for I will get it and give a better p/ex. when I got home 20 mins message on answerphone found a car checked e mail lots of pics stunning big spec car saw and tested it a few days later good p/ex and few extras Lifeshine 12 months gap so put a deposit on it If the hadn't been so good I would have walked. Wound him up a bit when I kept asking who Des Walt was.