Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear view mirror upgrade - Need some help here!  (Read 7469 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Rear view mirror upgrade - Need some help here!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 08:19:06 pm »
Lol, I'm old skoooooool and just need a seat, some pedals and a steering wheel  :grin:

Just goes to show what value these features really are if even some enthusiasts don't even know they are there!   

Yeah the full closure with the key fob is a nice one if you get out of the car and forget to wind up the windows and sunroof.    Although on mine it was disabled, so I lived with it for 2.5 years thinking MK5s didn't have that feature  :grin:
lol old school or no school it's fantastic for when it's needed  :signLOL:

Total closure seems to be a pain as sometimes the windows will only go up a few inches and stop so I wait to make sure that's done as also one window likes to open all the way down at times so not a great feature when not working correctly  :doh:

Battery?  Mine closes both windows fully and then sunroof like clockwork every time  :happy2:

The only pain in the arse bit about that feature is if you lock the car, then press and hold, nowt happens!  So you have to unlock, then lock and hold again  :grin:
battery is fine fully charged so can't be that. I have the five door so more electrics to deal with! No sunroof though!.
I can lock the car and then press the button and they will go up when they work but as I mentioned the odd one can get stuck or open up again after closure  :doh: find the windows opened on the odd occasion too  :surprised: thankfully not raining at the time.

Offline Molesy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 08:22:07 pm »
if you have a auto dip mirror already you , why would you want to upgrade to this , just in case your not aware the mk5 auto dip mirror has the power switch under the middle on the back of the mirror so you can turn it off if that's what you wanting to do

you can see in in this ad on the rear view

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-dipping-rear-view-interior-mirror-T5-Golf-MK5-MK6-Jetta-Tiguan-1K0857511B-/172348568753?epid=667142709&hash=item2820c674b1:g:b2cAAOSwA3dYW5GD

Rob

Well bloody hell......had the car over 3 years and I've never seen that button before  :grin:   Does it just turn the auto-dip off, not the other sensing functions?
:signLOL: do you know the visors also pull further out for when your blocking the sun from the side view  :thinking:

I only found out a month ago that holding the lock/unlock key on the fob closes or opens the windows! Only took 3.5 years!  :signLOL:

Molesy  :happy2:
lmao that's a very long time to find out how the windows drop whilst holding the button down  :signLOL: visor I knew about before nuyong my car nearly three years ago from the R32OC forum  :grin:

I'm like Pudding, old skool cool, we don't need no fob buttons to put windows up! Ah i remember turning a handle to do that 20 years ago  :signLOL:

Offline Molesy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 08:27:27 pm »
Lol, I'm old skoooooool and just need a seat, some pedals and a steering wheel  :grin:

Just goes to show what value these features really are if even some enthusiasts don't even know they are there!   

Yeah the full closure with the key fob is a nice one if you get out of the car and forget to wind up the windows and sunroof.    Although on mine it was disabled, so I lived with it for 2.5 years thinking MK5s didn't have that feature  :grin:
lol old school or no school it's fantastic for when it's needed  :signLOL:

Total closure seems to be a pain as sometimes the windows will only go up a few inches and stop so I wait to make sure that's done as also one window likes to open all the way down at times so not a great feature when not working correctly  :doh:

Battery?  Mine closes both windows fully and then sunroof like clockwork every time  :happy2:

The only pain in the arse bit about that feature is if you lock the car, then press and hold, nowt happens!  So you have to unlock, then lock and hold again  :grin:
battery is fine fully charged so can't be that. I have the five door so more electrics to deal with! No sunroof though!.
I can lock the car and then press the button and they will go up when they work but as I mentioned the odd one can get stuck or open up again after closure  :doh: find the windows opened on the odd occasion too  :surprised: thankfully not raining at the time.

Mine does all the windows fine but doesnt do the sunroof, but once every 6-12 months the sunroof opens up by itself generally on a hot day  :signLOL:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 08:42:57 pm »
if you have a auto dip mirror already you , why would you want to upgrade to this , just in case your not aware the mk5 auto dip mirror has the power switch under the middle on the back of the mirror so you can turn it off if that's what you wanting to do

you can see in in this ad on the rear view

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-dipping-rear-view-interior-mirror-T5-Golf-MK5-MK6-Jetta-Tiguan-1K0857511B-/172348568753?epid=667142709&hash=item2820c674b1:g:b2cAAOSwA3dYW5GD

Rob

Well bloody hell......had the car over 3 years and I've never seen that button before  :grin:   Does it just turn the auto-dip off, not the other sensing functions?
:signLOL: do you know the visors also pull further out for when your blocking the sun from the side view  :thinking:

I only found out a month ago that holding the lock/unlock key on the fob closes or opens the windows! Only took 3.5 years!  :signLOL:

Molesy  :happy2:
lmao that's a very long time to find out how the windows drop whilst holding the button down  :signLOL: visor I knew about before nuyong my car nearly three years ago from the R32OC forum  :grin:

I'm like Pudding, old skool cool, we don't need no fob buttons to put windows up! Ah i remember turning a handle to do that 20 years ago  :signLOL:
of course lol been there done that with me my mk1  but times have change and technology has evolved so why not use it to our advantage  :laugh:

Sunroof probably needs coding in?.

Maybe the channels have given up and the glass catches some where so drops to glass back down.

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
Rear view mirror upgrade - Need some help here!
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 10:19:42 pm »
Hey guys.
My car already has auto light and wipers along with the anti dazzle rear view mirror.

However I would like to upgrade this mirror to one that has the "power" button like on this picture.

Anyone know which car I should take a mirror from that will fit to our mk5's? :D
Looks like an Audi A5 mirror

Edit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/172914506443
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:21:33 pm by MIJ_JAGGER »

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 03:47:23 pm »
Anyone know if the A5 mirror is suitable to fit our MK5's? Does it have the same rain/light sensor as the mk5?
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline ds2601

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 08:58:40 pm »
I dont know about the A5 mirror but novel thread! most I knew about but it made me go out to my car and have a look  :thinking: :signLOL:
MK5 GTI 2008, DSG Auto

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 08:03:09 am »
Haha:D

Anyway - the audi mirrors doesn't fit our cars since they use a round rain/light sensor where we have a square one.

I've ordered the mirror from a scirocco which has the same "power" button as the audi mirrors and use the same sensor as we do :)
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 01:05:13 pm »
I thought I was bad wasting money  :laugh:

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 05:38:38 pm »

You have no idea! :D  :signLOL:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 05:55:43 pm »

£7,500 so far and counting from Jan2015  :doh:

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 06:03:02 pm »

from august 2015 to december 2018 this car will have cost more than £20.000.  :sick:
But then everything will have been worked over..  :innocent:

So far I've "only" spend some like £12,000 since 2015/8 and I've just begun rebuilding my new engine hehe.. But I can't wait untill the car is finish haha!  :driver:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 07:36:51 pm »

from august 2015 to december 2018 this car will have cost more than £20.000.  :sick:
But then everything will have been worked over..  :innocent:

So far I've "only" spend some like £12,000 since 2015/8 and I've just begun rebuilding my new engine hehe.. But I can't wait untill the car is finish haha!  :driver:
oh sh**terz  :surprised: now I know I'm not mad  :signLOL:

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 08:06:23 pm »
You and I are not even close to being mad!..

I've got a mate who's gone comletely mad on his GTI. Will be a crazy car when it's done being build  :driver:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 09:05:00 pm »
I believe you  :signLOL: It all comes down to how much we're willing to poor into the car knowing it'll never come back :stupid:  :signLOL: not even a 1/4 of it in some cases but that's the drug bug we have  :doh: