Make a donation

Author Topic: Stereo upgrade  (Read 34084 times)

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
Re: Stereo upgrade
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 10:42:10 am »
I believe alpine now do a wireless CarPlay unit - no need to take the phone out of your pocket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 11:12:49 am »
I believe alpine now do a wireless CarPlay unit - no need to take the phone out of your pocket!

I can only find details of an ilx-107 but surprise surprise, isn't available in the UK yet, or maybe ever!   Considering it has no DVD mechanism, it's 4 x 18W is a bit wimpy.   Thanks for the heads up though, I'll keep an eye on the market.

I'm surprised they've taken so long to get wi-fi into cars.   If aeroplanes with very sensitive electronics have it, not sure why cars don't!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 11:21:14 am »
Considered a unit that uses nav on your phone, and displays on screen?

E.g. The £300 pioneer SPH-DA120 is a great bit of kit. Apple CarPlay and android auto compatible - which means you connect your phone with a cable, and then can access your music/phone/Nav via the touchscreen.

That certainly is an option.   I was even considering a 'dumb' unit that just amplifies the music and use the phone or an ipad mini on a screen mount for the display.   I'm stuck in my ways though and just want to leave the phone in my pocket and for the Bluetooth pairing to happen automatically.   My mates MK7 GTD does that......but MK7 radios don't fit in MK5s without a lot of faff.

I actually had that Pioneer for a short while and returned it as I couldn't get on with it.  It sounded a lot better than the RNS510 (I do like Pioneer for SQ), but there was some functionality stuff I didn't get on with, and the screen viewing angle and picture sharpness wasn't great either, imo.
I had this connected on my aux cable for a while just to 'beef' up the sound but got fed up after a while of having to charge it and turn it on, still have it somewhere in the car.

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/Headphones.6/FiiO.406/5510006/FiiO_E05_Portable_Headphone_Amplifier.4491.html

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 11:30:29 am »

E.g. The £300 pioneer SPH-DA120 is a great bit of kit. Apple CarPlay and android auto compatible - which means you connect your phone with a cable, and then can access your music/phone/Nav via the touchscreen.

That certainly is an option.   I was even considering a 'dumb' unit that just amplifies the music and use the phone or an ipad mini on a screen mount for the display.   I'm stuck in my ways though and just want to leave the phone in my pocket and for the Bluetooth pairing to happen automatically.   My mates MK7 GTD does that......but MK7 radios don't fit in MK5s without a lot of faff.

I actually had that Pioneer for a short while and returned it as I couldn't get on with it.  It sounded a lot better than the RNS510 (I do like Pioneer for SQ), but there was some functionality stuff I didn't get on with, and the screen viewing angle and picture sharpness wasn't great either, imo.
I had this connected on my aux cable for a while just to 'beef' up the sound but got fed up after a while of having to charge it and turn it on, still have it somewhere in the car.

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/Headphones.6/FiiO.406/5510006/FiiO_E05_Portable_Headphone_Amplifier.4491.html

That is a good shout mate.  I didn't consider standalone Bluetooth receivers!  I could get one with a 3mm stereojack output and feed it into the RNS510 aux in.   Whoohooo......Friday excitement  :laugh:

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 11:43:11 am »

That is a good shout mate.  I didn't consider standalone Bluetooth receivers!  I could get one with a 3mm stereojack output and feed it into the RNS510 aux in.   Whoohooo......Friday excitement  :laugh:
Ha! I can smell the fish and chips

Yep I was going to do that until I found the cheap Bluetooth connector for my MFD2. Works a treat but...tiny thing that bugs me (being very anal here) is that the name that comes up to connect to the unit is called "sky international" can't find a way to change that to "MK5 GTI" or something to make it seem "OEM"

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 11:53:29 am »
I just wanted something that looked oem and had a decent satnav / iPod/Bluetooth connection... can't say I'll use the CarPlay stuff to be honest . So the dnx 516 is probably way over kill for me but I reckon even if I sold it in a few years it'll be worth £500 , so that's how I justified the price . Looks great in the dash , very oem+

Offline rolexmk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 12:57:02 pm »
The RNS315 streams music from an iPhone without cables?
also has a sd slot and worrks with the 6 cd in the arem rest if you have it
only down side no usb so cant charge your phone but i have added one in the spare next to the esp button

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 02:16:06 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking of fudging one of these into the ESP blanks, or in the arm rest cubby hole somewhere.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6V-12V-24V-to-5V-3A-CAR-USB-Charger-Module-DC-Buck-step-down-voltage-Converter-/221745752792

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 02:17:06 pm »

Ha! I can smell the fish and chips

Yep I was going to do that until I found the cheap Bluetooth connector for my MFD2. Works a treat but...tiny thing that bugs me (being very anal here) is that the name that comes up to connect to the unit is called "sky international" can't find a way to change that to "MK5 GTI" or something to make it seem "OEM"

Yeah that is the trouble with cheap Chinese electronics  :grin:    "Sunny train roller skate" is now connected!

Offline ds2601

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 09:31:02 pm »

I have a Pioneer in my mk5 and cant get on with it too, It came in the car when I got it so I have decided to swap it out for a Kenwood DNX 7170

MK5 GTI 2008, DSG Auto

nomayonnaise

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 08:56:50 pm »
A bit late to the party. Where'd you get that fascia from? It's the first one I've seen that's one piece!

Offline Brianalott

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2019, 08:18:11 pm »
@Bodyboarder81 are you happy with your Kenwood? Would you recommend it?
Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the process of upgrading my stock stereo and looking for a good one.

From my research Kenwood is a good option. But can't make up my mind. All the reviews I've read so far are hype garbage. Actually I've tracked down a site that tells it how it is. I was eyeing the Kenwood DDX9704S headunit thanks to the review.

Can you tell me how bad the is the screen glare? What about the price is there enough value to justify it?

I'm open for suggestions