Make a donation

Author Topic: Upgraded engine mounts  (Read 8408 times)

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
Upgraded engine mounts
« on: October 15, 2017, 08:11:23 pm »
Hi all ,

Just wanting some info and people's thoughts on my situation... 

My car has had the revo full engine mounts fitted by the previous owner ( 3 in total )

I love the way the car drives ,  very direct dsg changes , no wheel hop ( things I've read about that a mapped edition 30/Pirelli suffer with on standard  mounts  ) the engine doesn't slop about , feels controlled. All good things then !

The only thing I don't like about them is the noise !

I get a gruff /diesel like engine note transmitted into the cabin at aprox 2000rpm on partial/full throttle ( not in light throttle)

Do I just put up with this noise  for the  benifits as stated above ? Or can I get 80% of the good stuff without the noise by another route ?

Which mounts cause the most noise once going to harder ones? Engine ? Gearbox? Or lower dog bone inc insert ?

Could I leave the lower one and change the upper for new units and eliminate the noise while still having most of the benifits?

Any help much appreciated  :happy2:

MPS

Re: Upgraded engine mounts
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 09:17:40 pm »
I believe the lower pendulum [dogbone] mount is responsible for keeping the majority of the back and forth rocking in check, not that it does a very good job, even from new. They were designed for comfort from factory, hence the voids in the hockey puck bushing, way too sloppy for my liking.

So I've decided to go the other way to how yours is set up with new OEM engine and gearbox mounts, and I've just ordered one of these:

https://www.awesomegti.com/brands/034motorsport/034motorsport-billet-aluminium-transmission-mount-insert-08/

I've heard nothing but good things about these, they're supposed to give a more comfortable ride than poly inserts but at the same time keep that bucking bronco effect in check. They don't 'pack' [google it, basically crush after time, crap in other words.] and wear out like poly does either, obviously as it's metal.

Stay tuned for a review, it's being delivered this week.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 09:21:15 pm by MPS »

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 10:07:40 pm »
I'm guessing I really need to find out which one of the 3 mounts transfers the majority of the noise ..... I'm hoping to keep the revo dog bone one as that's the hardest to replace and as you say possibles helps the most with engine movements

MPS

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 10:14:29 pm »
Do you have a link to your Revo one?

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 10:19:33 pm »
Where are you getting the new top engine  mounts from ...vw ?

MPS

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 10:47:45 pm »
Where are you getting the new top engine  mounts from ...vw ?

Already fitted, yep, OEM from main dealer - don't ask how much they cost. There is an improvement from my old [100k miles] ones, just not as much as I'd hoped. You mention rattling, like anything, its a trade-off. Porsches and the like use fancy electro-rheological dynamic engine bushes which are controlled by the ECU and stiffen up according to RPM.

Tonight's homework, read this  :grin:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2010-porsche-911-gt3s-dynamic-engine-mounts

MPS

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 10:50:29 pm »
Those Revo mounts look hardcore, btw.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:00:27 pm by MPS »

MPS

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 11:07:21 pm »
These seem to have good reviews, a completely different way of going about things too, using a spring.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dli+mounts+mkv+gti&oq=dli+mounts+mkv+gti

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 09:35:03 am »
The upper gearbox mount is the one responsible for the most noise.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 11:05:11 am »
The upper gearbox mount is the one responsible for the most noise.

That's a step closer to deciding what to do ........

Have you heard of the 034 rubber mounts? ( think that's what they are called )

What would you suggest in my situation?

Thanks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 11:44:08 am »
The street and track density ones?   They should be OK as they are a copy of the OEM ones, but solid rubber instead of voided.   There will be extra noise, but how much in comparison to other options, I'm not sure.

I have all 3 VibraTechnics in mine and I just live with the extra noise because it's that plus the benefits, or OEM with zero benefits.  I have a window or the sunroof open all year round, so that drowns out any engine gearbox noise  :smiley:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 11:49:36 am »
Best advice anyone could give you is to try and get out, either as a drive or passenger, in other cars with different brands/types of mount fitted. Noise and vibration is very much subjective, and what may not be ideal to you may be quite insignificant, or be completely unacceptable to someone else.

People can recommend different mounts but I doubt many have tried a variety of mounts and will have nothing to compare it to other than the originals

I've not tried Revo, but from what I have read from various owners, pretty much any other mount you try will be an improvement in terms of NVH.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:57:28 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 04:42:54 pm »
Ok thanks for the help / info appreciate it  :happy2:

I'll have a chat to jim from Jkm and make a decision..... although it's probably a costlier option the 034 mounts sound what I'm after ... not a fan of the slip in style ones , as I'll always worry about the coming out and the fact that I don't want to put them on my standard mounts ( which I have and have covered around 45k )

I'm guessing people buy new bolts as well ? As I've read somewhere that stretch bolts are used .
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:52:18 pm by Bodyboarder81 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 09:19:23 am »
It'll be interesting to see if the inserts hold up to the excessive lateral engine movement from track abuse.

Yeah the engine mount bolts are the stretch variety and should be replaced.