Make a donation

Author Topic: Looking for advice - Ed30 or Standard Gti? (2 for sale in my area today!)  (Read 1198 times)

SSSGti

Hi,

I am just new to the site as I feel I need a bit of advice before making a purchase on either of these cars.
I have been reading the forums and I would be happy with either the ED30 or the standard gti for different reasons, I'm not too fussy which one I end up with as I've always wanted a gti!
I think it's now come down to whether I go for manual or DSG???

I'll put the links up of the 2 cars that have appeared for sale...

Standard mk5 gti -

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710170390761?aggregatedTrim=GTI&postcode=eh166jh&sort=datedesc&year-from=2004&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0&fuel-type=Petrol&radius=1500&body-type=Hatchback&year-to=2009&maximum-mileage=100000&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=7500&model=GOLF&quantity-of-doors=5&colour=Red&colour=Silver&colour=White&colour=Unlisted&colour=Grey&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&make=VOLKSWAGEN&page=1

Edition 30

Any opinions / help would be greatly appreciated. I know it comes down to personal opinion, and this thread / debate has probably popped up on many occasions, but people that know their stuff might be able to make points that will help my decision in the end!

Thanks

willni

Hi,

I am just new to the site as I feel I need a bit of advice before making a purchase on either of these cars.
I have been reading the forums and I would be happy with either the ED30 or the standard gti for different reasons, I'm not too fussy which one I end up with as I've always wanted a gti!

Standard mk5 gti -

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710170390761?aggregatedTrim=GTI&postcode=eh166jh&sort=datedesc&year-from=2004&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0&fuel-type=Petrol&radius=1500&body-type=Hatchback&year-to=2009&maximum-mileage=100000&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=7500&model=GOLF&quantity-of-doors=5&colour=Red&colour=Silver&colour=White&colour=Unlisted&colour=Grey&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&make=VOLKSWAGEN&page=1

Edition 30

Any opinions / help would be greatly appreciated. I know it comes down to personal opinion, and this thread / debate has probably popped up on many occasions, but people that know their stuff might be able to make points that will help my decision in the end!

Thanks

Both equally capable cars, depends on the price difference really, you essentially get more for your money with the Edition 30 mechanically wise so if you go down the remap/tuning road you're better off with it. If not the standard GTI is very capable in the right hands and when looked after.

The standard GTI's tend to have a bit more spec about them though ie more of them with with sunroof, xenons, highline clocks etc.

Only way to see which you prefer is to go test them out (that grey gti looks pretty well looked after from the pictures on the surface at least)

SSSGti

Hi,

Standard mk5 gti -

Edition 30

Thanks

Both equally capable cars, depends on the price difference really, you essentially get more for your money with the Edition 30 mechanically wise so if you go down the remap/tuning road you're better off with it. If not the standard GTI is very capable in the right hands and when looked after.

The standard GTI's tend to have a bit more spec about them though ie more of them with with sunroof, xenons, highline clocks etc.

Only way to see which you prefer is to go test them out (that grey gti looks pretty well looked after from the pictures on the surface at least)

Thanks mate.

I ended up going for the standard Gti.
First VW I've had and I'm impressed with it so far.

The only gripe I have is there seems to be a sort of whirring noise coming from the engine bay, it's hard to tell whether it's just noise coming through the centre console air vents.
Doesn't do it all the time, just seems to be intermittent and ascends from quiet to slightly louder and then back to that cycle and so on so forth.

I'm liking the simplicity of a DSG box for when I'm going through town and sitting on traffic on the commute though!  :smiley:

I don't want to go to heavily down the modifying route, but maybe subtle changes such as 30mm drop, tints, smoked lights, possibly a back box with a bit more grunt.

I know the most popular seems to be a stage 1 remap. What other mods do people most commonly do to their mk5's??
Would an exhaust and filter make much difference without the remap?

Cheers :happy2: