Make a donation

Author Topic: Software update covered by vw warranty  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
Software update covered by vw warranty
« on: October 18, 2017, 02:09:53 pm »
I have a mk7 golf and an issue with the stop start system. The dealership told my that the fault is down to needing a software update and as such it will not be covered under warranty. Does this sound right?
2013 Golf mk7 1.4 tsi SE DSG
2011 Golf mk6 2.0 tdi Match manual (sold)
2007 Golf mk5 GTi manual (sold)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Software update covered by vw warranty
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 02:45:14 pm »
VW are obligated to actively notify customers and apply updates FOC (via the dealers) where safety is concerned. 

Less important updates such as engine, climate and infotainment software is usually applied FOC as part of the service when it's next in. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 04:15:20 pm »
I have called VW customer services and they are going to call the retailer to find out why I am being charged. Something the dealership told me was that when they looked at the software, it needed an update. What I find odd is that when it went in for a service in May, they didn't notice the need for a software update.

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:08:04 pm »
I have had a call from the dealership and they stated that when a car is in for a service is does not have a software update. These can be done as a recall, otherwise these have to be paid for!

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:37:40 am »
I take it the Mk7 is out of warranty? If you still have a valid warranty, and the car has a fault, how can they justify trying to charge you to repair it? 

Sorry if I've missed the ball here as I've always bought older cars and repair them myself, but this baffles me. Get on to Volkswagen directly and make a complaint if needed
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 08:19:11 am »
I take it the Mk7 is out of warranty? If you still have a valid warranty, and the car has a fault, how can they justify trying to charge you to repair it? 

Sorry if I've missed the ball here as I've always bought older cars and repair them myself, but this baffles me. Get on to Volkswagen directly and make a complaint if needed

It is out of the manufacturers warranty but I have paid for extended vw warranty at the highest level, I think it is comprehensive with zero excess. This is similar to the original manufacturers warranty.

I took the car in and the dealership contacted VW to see if the software update was covered under warranty. VW said it wasn't so I had to pay for it (£120).

It seems like they (VW) are trying to get out of having to pay. They seem to be using the excuse that as the fault is due to the update I have to pay. I did contact VW and the dealership several times yesterday to argue that as the software update was a fault rectification then it should be covered under warranty but they stuck to the "software update not covered in the warranty".

I will make a complaint today with VW and see what happens.