Make a donation

Author Topic: oil filter housing  (Read 1629 times)

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
oil filter housing
« on: October 18, 2017, 05:43:59 pm »
Hi, I had another thread were my car broke down and the camchain snapped. I somehow managed to fix it myself using online guides taking the head off and having an engine repair shop replace the bent valves and skim the head. I had it running for a couple weeks and one day on the way to work the low oil pressure light came on so I pulled over and got it towed home. The repair guy suggested could be bits still in the oil and to drop the sump and clean the oil pick up. I had already done but decided worth doing again.

I've drained the oil and removed the oil filter. The filter seemed dry. Having done some googling found some pictures of the oil filter housing and noticed a central tube which was not in mine. I'm pretty sure it did not come out with the previous oil filter from a few weeks ago but have binned it so can't be 100%.

What is this central tube?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-VW-OIL-FILTER-HOUSING-COVER-06D115408B-06D-115-408-B-/263228683999?hash=item3d49a6f6df:g:rVsAAOSw2N1ZyRk~#vi-ilComp

That plastic tube in the center of the oil filter housing that goes inside the oil filter. what is it?

Fanks :happy2:

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: oil filter housing
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 05:54:46 pm »
That's exactly what it is in the link.

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 06:22:16 pm »
That's exactly what it is in the link.

I mean the plastic tube in the center of the housing. I remove the housing but did not have that central tube. I'm thinking the previous owner may have accidently binned that bit.

What does that plastic tube do?

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 06:49:29 pm »
I think it locates the filter in the housing so I don't know how your filter stays in position if it's missing.  :thinking:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 07:31:13 pm »
Yes it's a locator for your filter but obviously it's not locations so wouldn't be filtering properly at a guess.

Offline mycarnowork

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 03:25:53 pm »
Well I've ordered another. When I did the filter change I just pushed the filter in the bottom of engine and it held in place so it just seemed normal.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 10:18:56 pm »
Imho There's always a reason for something less obvious and that being in the filter housing soaked in very hot oil!, I'd say the reason was to keep its shape and not allowing it to suck into the engine  :thinking: