Make a donation

Author Topic: low fuel economy + Low temp. PCV done. Top temp sensor done. ?Lower sensor/stat  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Stu574

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hi guys! First time posting here. Having a few problems recently, Ill try to be as succinct as possible:

1. Car started having a little shudder when coming off power.
2. Car began revving up to 2K then dropping back down when idling.
3. Started losing MPG. Used to average 28 even in winter. Now lucky to get 22. Counting down very quick when stationary.
4. Developed emission warning light. -> Read up on here -> (Stealership) Switched out PCV valve, cleared warning light.
5. No longer shuddering or revving but still losing MPG. Dash gauge 90 centigrade (Normal) -> Read up again -> I switched out top temp sensor, new plugs & air filter. Yet to change oil and fuel filter.
6. Dash gauge now reading 80-90 depending on moving or not. Fans not activating unless I switch on air con, then both activate.

My question is... Should I crack on and change bottom gauge and thermostat, or am I missing something else?

Cheers,

Stu

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Hi mate, 80-90 depending? Please explain.

If the Main stat fails and only reaches 90 when stationary then replace this part!.
What's your heating system like inside?. Warms up to mega hot or just hot enough?.

Offline Stu574

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
Cheers for the reply,

80 if driving along I guess being cooled by moving air flow. Gets to 90 if sat in traffic. Heating just warm enough inside on "High"

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
I had the same but mine only made it to 70 and 90 when sat in traffic so I'd blame the main stat for this!.
Heat should be super hot within minutes of driving and if not then it's definitely the thermostat causing this as I also had higher fuel consumption.

Hope this helps

Offline Stu574

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
Thanks guys,

Ordered new thermostat from GSF online... 56% discount this weekend so got a few other bits at the same time  :happy2:
Will report back after it's fitted!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
Should have bought the oem thermostat as copies are shi** sorry but true.

I paid £38.99 brand new genuine from a scoda dealer off eBay no messing around as it's a beech to replace so wanted it right first time.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-AUDI-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING-06F121111F-/381516798691?epid=1209547945&hash=item58d42c5ae3%3Ag%3A0PQAAOSwBt5ZHv9j&_trkparms=pageci%253Ab75b92c4-b783-11e7-95cf-74dbd18009d5%257Cparentrq%253A467e414115f0ab4549f5ac1dfffe985a%257Ciid%253A1
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:50:24 am by r5gtt »

Offline Stu574

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
So update.... Main stat was stuck open. Replaced. Fuel economy better but still counting down quicker when idiling than used to.

Been running fine for a week... Then, noticed the aircon fan speed lights were out. Spinning the dial did nothing. All other climate controls working. Turned car off and on, worked fine. Next time tried to start the car battery was dead. No alternator warning. Check alternator and battery was being charged. Replaced battery. No starting issues but noticed aircon fan speed starts being limited after 3mins or so. Progressively lowers untill fan cuts out. Pressing the front screen clear button gives full power back.

Turning car off and on resets problem but then it repeats. What is happening to my lovely Golf?!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
ECU issue perhaps, BCM (body control module)faulty?.
Have you plugged it into vcds diagnostics for any fault codes that maybe stored?.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
So update.... Main stat was stuck open. Replaced. Fuel economy better but still counting down quicker when idiling than used to.

Been running fine for a week... Then, noticed the aircon fan speed lights were out. Spinning the dial did nothing. All other climate controls working. Turned car off and on, worked fine. Next time tried to start the car battery was dead. No alternator warning. Check alternator and battery was being charged. Replaced battery. No starting issues but noticed aircon fan speed starts being limited after 3mins or so. Progressively lowers untill fan cuts out. Pressing the front screen clear button gives full power back.

Turning car off and on resets problem but then it repeats. What is happening to my lovely Golf?!

If you don't have a VCDS tool watch this video for redoing the blower fan basic settings without a tool.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4mFcbV3eCC0

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Fuel economy better but still counting down quicker when idiling than used to.

What does that mean?

Sounds like you have a blower resistor out.   Pressing the demist button puts the fan on full blast, but if the lower speeds keep cutting off.......it's resistor pack time. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SmartSense-Heater-Blower-Motor-Fan-Resistor-for-VW-Golf-Jetta-Golf-Plus-MK5-MK6-/141622874451

You may want to check/replace the cam sensor as they develop a crusty coating of metallic particles.   My average mpg went from 27 to 32 after replacing it, and it ran a lot smoother and quieter too.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D