Make a donation

Author Topic: 2.0 tdi bkd cut out  (Read 3692 times)

Offline danny19901

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
2.0 tdi bkd cut out
« on: October 22, 2017, 09:13:56 am »
hi everyone, i have a mk5 golf 2.0 tdi bkd engine and i really need help i only bought it a few weeks ago and it has cut out on me three times, it cuts out when im doing high speeds down the motorway and the revs are about 3500rpm, i shift the car to netural then it cuts out, when it does cut out the engine will crank over but wont fire back up again the only way it will start is on easy start and then i switch it on and off again and its fine untill i go back down the motorway and it cuts out again, again i have no fault codes in the system either.
when it is running it drives perfect as it should do, i have changed the fuel filter, tandem pump, the lift pump in the tank, used diffrent fuel with a fuel line cleaner each time i fill up but i dont know where to go from here as i have no fault codes and when its running its perfect. please help
many thanks

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
Re: 2.0 tdi bkd cut out
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 06:25:51 pm »
Maybe a rusted fuelline?

I had similar problem on my 2005 TDI last year, also changed alot of stuff to sort out the problem. Turned out to be a little fuel pipe somewhere (not sure of location of it) it was rusted and had a small whole that let air getting to the system.
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline danny19901

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 06:55:53 pm »
Maybe a rusted fuelline?

I had similar problem on my 2005 TDI last year, also changed alot of stuff to sort out the problem. Turned out to be a little fuel pipe somewhere (not sure of location of it) it was rusted and had a small whole that let air getting to the system.
ill have a good look around tomorrow, did yours cut out and if it did,  did it start again or did you have to squirt easy start in?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:57:30 pm »
Next time before cranking it over to restart, take the fuel filter housing top off and check the level its at, would be my first port of call. If the filter housing is at the correct level then I would be looking into an electrical issue - the ignition switch failure would be my first port of call for an electrical failure.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:41:21 pm by doylebros »

Offline danny19901

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 09:23:01 pm »
Next time before cranking it over to restart, take the fuel filter housing top off and check the level its at, would be my first port of call.
i havent checked the level but i did take the fuel pipe into the filter and im getting fuel flowing with ignition on and when cranking

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 09:44:11 pm »
Mine shutted down, then it would crank again and drive for a random amount of miles and then go out again.. It could happen in all speeds , and it could happen within 4 min or 40 min  :chicken: :confused:

Really a joy to drive 4th lane in the freeway and then the car shuts down :D Well... it' s what some would call interesting atleast.  :phew:
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 05:21:30 pm »
Next time before cranking it over to restart, take the fuel filter housing top off and check the level its at, would be my first port of call.
i havent checked the level but i did take the fuel pipe into the filter and im getting fuel flowing with ignition on and when cranking

If filter housing is below the expected full level (which you'll of pre-check that level when you know your motor is operating correctly as to what the level is) you'll know it's cutting out because of air ingress if it below your pre-checked level.

Offline danny19901

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 01:42:58 pm »
hi guys
i have checked for any rust or cracks in the fuel lines and they are all ok i have also swapped the fuel pump relays over, im going to go for a run in it tonight and when it cuts out ill check the fuel level in the filter housing