Make a donation

Author Topic: Boost not meeting requested, graph inside  (Read 17089 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
Re: Boost not meeting requested, graph inside
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 12:55:01 pm »
Good to see you're on track to narrowing down the issue! You've got some great help - sure you'll get it sorted.

Pudding  - gutted about the turbo! Im assuming from your plant pot intake comment you run a standard airbox - which has a gauze either before or after the MAF so essentially two safeguards for stuff entering the turbo.

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2v8m0hhru1vc862m6hkued3la6&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 02:19:20 pm »
Ah the logs! They are with thanks to @dazza for writing the program to do the graphs, although it took me a while how to figure out how to use it!  guide here

Glad to see this feature being used it took a while to build that.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 02:26:07 pm »
Ah the logs! They are with thanks to @dazza for writing the program to do the graphs, although it took me a while how to figure out how to use it!  guide here

Glad to see this feature being used it took a while to build that.

Its brilliant - I use it a lot. I just edit and save the existing posts, as I dont want to clutter up peoples "new posts" with long posts

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 04:33:50 pm »
For when you go and add preload...once car is raised and secured, remove the heat shield about the right axle. Remove the rod clip(1) with a flat driver. With a 10mm open-end wrench/spanner, loosen the 10mm nut(2) towards the actuator diaphragm. Probably want 2 to 3 full turns to see if a difference is made...so, count the six sides as you turn the nut. Then turn the knurled nut(3) the same direction until it is snug with the 10mm nut and tighten using the 10mm nut. Replace the rod clip and heat shield.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:36:05 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 07:53:10 pm »
Ok so tonight’s logs are as follows below, this is with the vacuum feed for the actuator removed (just let dangeling) again still not reaching the requested so does this rule out the wastegate?

So next steps will be to inspect the wheels for damage, and then having a go with preload unless that is now obsolete with tonight’s results?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:33:06 am by v4rley »

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 09:25:58 pm »
Rules out the N75 and boost control system/plumbing etc.

Wheel inspection and preload next
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 09:45:53 pm »
Ok thanks. Going to save the preload for daytime job for more assistance with daylight so will likely be Saturday due to work commitments. Borescope should be here by the end of the week. So that’s my next tasks sorted. If there is anything in the mean time to investigate / diagnose let me know

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 07:26:04 am »
 :thinking:
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 11:02:03 am »
Good to see you're on track to narrowing down the issue! You've got some great help - sure you'll get it sorted.

Pudding  - gutted about the turbo! Im assuming from your plant pot intake comment you run a standard airbox - which has a gauze either before or after the MAF so essentially two safeguards for stuff entering the turbo.

I do indeed.  The gauze is before the MAF and it's just to straighten the airflow for accurate readings, I doubt it would stop a stone or a flicked up nail or something.  There is no way anything would find it's way through the labyrinth of the OEM airbox.   I think what happened with my GT3071R was something small got sucked through the cotton gauze and took out the inducer blades.   It sounds far fetched, but if hold up a cotton pleat filter to the sky, you can clearly see daylight through it.  Every time I've used cotton, both the MAF and impeller blades have been filthy compared to paper.....it's a ticking time bomb.

Cotton is crap.  Foam or paper.  Paper is way too tight to get anything through it, and foam is very dense and would trap a piece of grit like fly paper.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 11:04:49 am »
You've got some beefy timing pull going on there V4rley.   The old girl is not happy.   The timing is low in boost as it is, plus that amount of retard and 11.5 AFRs......christ yeah that is going to super heat the turbine blades.  And wreck any cat converters in the vicinity.

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 03:38:47 pm »
Yeah this data stuff is a bit technical for me but didn’t think the cylinder graph looked great  :sad1: I guess this need mapping to sort? as apposed self sorting once the boost issue is sorted?

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 04:25:35 pm »
The timing will sort itself out if everything else is happy

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 10:02:43 am »
Yeah this data stuff is a bit technical for me but didn’t think the cylinder graph looked great  :sad1: I guess this need mapping to sort? as apposed self sorting once the boost issue is sorted?

What map is on it currently?   Quantum?  I've not heard of that.  Is it a switchable map allowing you to load a 'stock like' map?

I'm just conscious it might be a wasted day going to R-Tech with these issues because it might not be software related.   It rarely is.   A map is a map.  The hardware is usually always obedient to commands, so long as they are not pushed too far.

How far is Hinckley from you?  If it's a fair distance, I would be tempted to get your VW dealer to wipe the ECU and reflash it with the OEM map.   Then repeat the logging and see if things fall back to where they are supposed to be.  Do a compression test as well, and check all the sensors etc, including the cam sensor which can get covered in sward, and then the ECU runs the 'rough running' map.

Personally, I would only go for a dyno map knowing my engine is 100%.   It saves your time and money, and their's too.   As I said previously, no mapper can fix hardware problems with software.  They can attempt to work around them, but it's just a band aid.  A reflash back to stock will confirm the hardware is good or bad.....but it'll cost you an hour's labour.   That might be cheaper than having Niki troubleshoot it all day.

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 12:22:35 pm »
Currently has Rtech with the 5 switchable maps.

After arriving at rtech for a noon booking it appeared that I had somehow arrived in big turbo week, so wasn’t idea for them. But they got straight on it, Niki didn’t like the dv relocation one bit and got a bit of a negative vibe. But after a couple more hours of playing with leak testing, strong dv springs time was up and i had the family with me towards the end so I had to get on and depart swiftly at 5pm.

My brief understanding is that the maps get progressively more ‘agressive’ he said to go with 5 as not much to loose as demands not being furfilled anyway. I will speak to him more specific but wanted to try and source the problem before hassling him as to make the most of a call.

It’s some distance away at 200mls and a ferry  :sad1:

Perhaps whilst awaiting the weekend events I should do a quick log on map 1 to see what the difference is? Which of these APR logs would give the best insight?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:24:07 pm by v4rley »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 02:00:45 pm »
Ah OK, I must have missed the bit where you mentioned it was R-Tech'd already.

Yeah you could try a logging session with the least aggressive map. Map 1 should be the same as standard.  Most tuners use a 'stock like' map and not the actual code VW uploaded to the ECU, so it may not drive exactly like a standard car.

VCDS can only log up to 12 channels at once iirc, so we can drop the ignition retard channels for the stock like map, so go with:

Engine speed
Lambda regulator (current value)
Lambda - req
Lambda - act
throttle plate angle
Pedal angle
high pressure fuel - req
high pressure fuel - act
Boost - req
Boost - actu
Intake temp
MAF