Make a donation

Author Topic: Inlet carbon clean  (Read 6863 times)

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Inlet carbon clean
« on: November 12, 2017, 09:34:28 am »
I'm thinking of making the trip to R-Tech for an inlet / injector carbon clean and would appreciate feedback from those who have had this work done on how their car drove afterwards. Has anyone seen before / after dyno prints without the mapping being changed?

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 48
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101205.0.html
Re: Inlet carbon clean
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 10:33:42 pm »
Why?

Carbon buildup is barely an issue for the 2.0T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:26:16 am »
Why?

Im guessing your referring to a larger, NA direct injection engine that relies on its air flow ports a lot more then a turbo charged 2litre. However, it will still help you reach higher figures - plus its nice knowing theres no gunk in there  :laugh:

Also, is it not possible in extreme cases for a chunk of carbon to break off and do some damage to the cylinder/pistons?

TBH, I spent along time manually scrubbing mine - so am just trying to justify it  :laugh:

I do however concede that the "carbon clean" offered by companies such as terraclean, enginecarbonclean etc. where they don’t manually clean the carbon and therefore not actually remove any carbon – is utterly pointless and a waste of money.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:43:57 am »
Some before / after photos in link below. Was interested in driving impressions / dyno results after this work.

https://www.facebook.com/RTechRemaps/posts/1545559692169624

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:49:33 am »
Yup.  Boost slows down the carbon build up because it blows most of the PCV particles past the valves.  Same principal as to why you don't see stalactites around waterfalls.

But both n'asp and turbo DI engines still have exhaust reversion to contend with, which is why the valve contamination is a mixture of PCV oil and exhaust soot.  Even with a full PCV delete, your intake valves will get all black and sooty again in pretty quickly. 

I can't see bits of carbon falling off the valves personally.  Those who've scraped it off manually will know there's minimal chance of that happening.  It's like baked on tar!

Anyway, to answer the question, AKS did mine and I noticed absolutely nothing afterwards.  Most of the running and starting problems with these engines is down to tired injectors.  Bunged up valves has a minimal impact on performance and mpg.  Tiny.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 09:50:56 am »
People report the car feeling more spritely and better to drive, some say the idle is improved and occasional misfiring they had was resolved.

In terms of numbers - marginal gains if any. Its more of a maintenance thing and getting the injectors tested at the same time (main benefit in my opinion)
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Inlet carbon clean
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 09:56:25 am »
Why?

Im guessing your referring to a larger, NA direct injection engine that relies on its air flow ports a lot more then a turbo charged 2litre. However, it will still help you reach higher figures - plus its nice knowing theres no gunk in there 

Also, is it not possible in extreme cases for a chunk of carbon to break off and do some damage to the cylinder/pistons?

TBH, I spent along time manually scrubbing mine - so am just trying to justify it 

I do however concede that the "carbon clean" offered by companies such as terraclean, enginecarbonclean etc. where they don’t manually clean the carbon and therefore not actually remove any carbon – is utterly pointless and a waste of money.

Exactly that - it's a significant issue for NA direct injection engines, but turbo engines barely miss a beat.

Having said that, if you have the time, skills and tools to do it yourself- fair play! Well done for doing it yourself- bit of a painful job as far as I understand it?

I just wonder what the cost of getting someone like r-tech to do it, for little gain, when that money could be better spent elsewhere on the car.

2007 Golf Gti DSG | Leather Wingbacks | Xenons | VWR Springs | Tinted Windows | 18" Audi Speedlines |

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:58:26 am »
Some before / after photos in link below. Was interested in driving impressions / dyno results after this work.

At 80K, my ED30 wasn't quite that bad but was dry, not wet and oily looking like those images.  I left it be and just replaced the injectors.   At 114ish K when AKS pulled the inlet off to decoke it, I had another look.......exactly the same as it was at 80K.  Dry and moderate coverage.   Those pictures on facebook with flash cameras make it look a lot worse than it really is.....but then again, he is promoting his cleaning service.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 12:45:34 pm »
Dammit Kev, I only wanted positive responses 😂

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 02:28:10 pm »
Haha, I just give honest responses  :smiley: 

Yours hasn't done many miles, so the valves probably aren't as bad as you think!

Offline FJ1000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 02:58:18 pm »
Just think of the money we've saved you

You can go spend that on something else for the car! Already had a r-tech remap?

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 05:42:56 pm »
TBH I'm not too fussed about the money since I've owned my car from new and intend to keep it indefinitely, so is like a mid-life health spa visit. Spending a whole day out to go up to Leics is however something I could happily do without. 

Have had revo stg 1 for several years and it drives well, so no huge need to have R-Tech remap it though I do wonder what more they could squeeze from it now that it has an upgraded hpfp and also given their expertise. Maybe I'll leave it for another day if I ever go to stage 2+.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:35:52 pm by colesey »

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 01:42:50 am »

That’s my ed30 they did last week , couldn’t tell you if it alone made any difference because I had stage 2+ and dsg map but they said it was one of the worst they seen. Think it’s because I only do short journeys. I can tell you that going from standard to 362bhp is awsome.

:driver:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:44:37 am by 99hagued »

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 05:46:28 am »
Short journeys, huh? Try 25,000 miles over 11 years.......gotta wonder what mine looks like internally despite always running nice fuel / oil.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 10:16:00 am »
Regular boosting and heat helps with these engines.

Yep, 350+ is indeed awesome, but irritating this time of year with excessive wheelspin.  The power delivery is not as smooth as Stage 1 either with necessary dips in boost onset to avoid KO4 surge. Call be boring / hard to please, but the jump from 1 to 2+ isn't spectacular enough to justify the piston ringlands ticking time bomb, or the expense of getting there.  So I'm rolling back to Stage 1 in the spring  :smiley:    310/330 torque is the sweet spot imo for KO4 engines.   2+ makes the engine feel fragile, and that's born out on the facebook group by over tuned engines smashing themselves to bits.