Make a donation

Author Topic: Stage2+ worry it ?  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
Stage2+ worry it ?
« on: November 13, 2017, 06:58:00 pm »
Hi all ,

Looking into the Loba fuel pump and the REVO Stage 2+ for my car . I already have the stage 2 and find it very good and pretty powerful.... is the extra cost for the + worth it ? Any draw backs at all ?

Thanks

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Stage2+ worry it ?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:22:10 pm »
Its not the huge increase you get from Stage 1, but sub 4k rpm performance is a big improvement, the car is eager and responsive. I currently have a LOBA and Revo 2+ and have been for 3 years now... Car been on Revo software for the last 9 years (since new near enough)
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:45:13 am »
If you like it as it is now and intend on keeping the car for a while, I'd leave it stage 2 personally.

Turbos lead you down the dark path of greed and corruption.  Be happy with your Jedi power, take some death sticks, go home and rethink your life  :smiley:

In all seriousness, KO4s are tricky buggers to tune properly because of their spool characteristics overwhelming the engine's VE point at a specific rpm.  An over cooked one feels worse to drive than a tried and tested Stage 1 tune.   

Personally I don't feel Stage 2+ is as nice as the lower levels of tune.  Too many caveats, but that's just my opinion.  It's your car/hobby, so do what you want with it  :smiley:

Revo or APR tunes are very good, so you can't go wrong there. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Tazocin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:40:53 pm »
This is the result of taking power from the dark side:

I recently went to 2+ from stage 1 with Unicorn Motor Developments and am massively impressed with the torque in mid range now available. Turns out my stage 1 map was rubbish and Rick sorted me out with a great result. I asked for a modest map (dont want anything broken) and apparently my brand new tires didnt help but ended up with a nice curve making 334/356 using Airtec stage 1 IC (S3 equivalent), Vis HPFP, BCS 3" TBE, GFB DV+ and a Forge twintake. Getting a better intake (twintake is restrictive on ko4 apparently), a RS4 FPRV and a more aggressive map would find more numbers but honestly given the roads round me I cant use all that power very often at all, its the lower/mid range changes that are most impressive

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 10:16:52 am »
Those dyno fail videos crack me up  :grin:    Especially that old bloke who stepped onto the roller and went flying  :grin: :grin:   One of these days someone will get a conrod through the neck and that will be the end of rolling roads!

Anyway, Revo reckon their intake is good for +40hp (over the standard intake) at stage 2+ levels of boost, so one to consider if you can stomach the noise.   You will only notice it past 5000rpm though. Good numbers though :happy2:

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 04:02:20 pm »
Decided that it’s fast enough as it is and to put my money into another car .... I have the revo intake and not a fan of the noises it makes . I also have the polar fis thing that gives me all sorts of read outs . Going from the standard intake to the revo one , the intake temps dramatically dropped , so the induction kit will be stay on ... also I think they are good for a genuine 15bhp gain .

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 04:39:49 pm »
At part throttle or in boost?  I can see the former happening, but not the latter.  Haven't noticed much difference with my IATs in boost with the Revo intake.  It does make a difference to performance, but enough of a difference to make the noises worth living with?  Hmmmmm, I'm not sure tbh.

What car you getting next?   

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 08:22:17 pm »
At part throttle or in boost?  I can see the former happening, but not the latter.  Haven't noticed much difference with my IATs in boost with the Revo intake.  It does make a difference to performance, but enough of a difference to make the noises worth living with?  Hmmmmm, I'm not sure tbh.

On normal driving and in boost .... it may well be to do with the fact that since I’ve had it installed ( revo intake that is ) that the weathers got a lot colder ... intake temps never seems to get above 10 degrees over ambient , usually only 5 degrees over .

Looking out for a nice mk1 golf ...more of a show and shine type thing , low ,bbs Wheels ect . Probably never find one to be honest , as all the good ones just seem to get sold to friends /club members . If one does come along I’ll end up selling the Pirelli and buying something cheap . The S2k won’t be going anywhere though  :ashamed:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 10:08:23 am »

On normal driving and in boost .... it may well be to do with the fact that since I’ve had it installed ( revo intake that is ) that the weathers got a lot colder ... intake temps never seems to get above 10 degrees over ambient , usually only 5 degrees over .

Looking out for a nice mk1 golf ...more of a show and shine type thing , low ,bbs Wheels ect . Probably never find one to be honest , as all the good ones just seem to get sold to friends /club members . If one does come along I’ll end up selling the Pirelli and buying something cheap . The S2k won’t be going anywhere though  :ashamed:

Ah OK. My intake temps are low with the Revo and the stock intake.  I would only pay attention to them in boost tbh.  The sensor is very close to the head, so the readings are skewed at idle and urban driving.  Once you crack the throttle open the temps drop right down again.

Nice!  I've had a few MK1s.  I don't know how far back you go into the scene, but in the mid 90s my MK1 inspiration was Simon Faier's (or could be Fayres) Candy Apple blue MK1 with a polished 16V in it, sitting on 17" Stil Auto sigma alloys.  It was my poster car.   And from an engineering perspective, Jereon Dik's G60 MK1 tore up the 1/4 mile every year.   Do you remember Awesome's MK1 VR6?  That was before they turned into a mailorder company  :happy2:

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 01:48:37 pm »
Was more into the dub scene when i had my g40 .... so I guess that was around 99 , when I was 18/19 ... seems like a life time ago !!

Always loved  the mk1..... but also have a really soft spot for the mk2/3 polo .. so if one of those came up I’d have that also ( also about a 3rd of the cost of a nice mk1 golf !! )

.... actually thinking about it a polo would be better ( financial) as then I’d keep the Pirelli  :rolleye: