Author Topic: Rear Door Not Locking  (Read 132 times)

Offline zenicman9

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Rear Door Not Locking
« on: November 14, 2017, 06:27:45 AM »
Hey

Recently my rear door has stopped locking when using the main fob and even when trying to lock from the inside doesn't seem to work

Has anyone seen this before and know I can fix?

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 119
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=u1stcdv9inqfd9dq0hk7582q26&/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: Rear Door Not Locking
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »
Very common issue.

The door lock module has failed.

You have two options.

1 - Replace with another door lock module. Huge money from dealer or half that from a refurbed eBay one.
2 - Drill a hole in the existing one and fill with grease to get things moving

Either way the door skin needs to be removed. Not a hard job but it's time consuming and fiddly.

Use the search button to find the guide.

Offline spicypixel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:00:17 AM »
As a word of warning if stuff is properly broken it becomes a nightmare, I took mine to a local garage because I heard some rattling as I was messing with the door card.

Was worth it as when the door was taken apart the module basically exploded and springs pinged off all over the place.

Either previous owner tried the drill and grease technique and f*cked it up or the module corroded badly. Either way just be prepared for the worst and have a module on standby to install if you go to investigate - assuming you feel uncomfortable having the back door unlockable for a few days.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:31:49 PM by spicypixel »
Mk5 GT TDI 170 - MY2007

Offline 4ndy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 44
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »
door skin of, new lock mechanism from Ebay. Ive replaced both front mechs £20 within the last year,each with 1yr warranty. A bit tricky 1st time especially handle removal/replacement. Plenty of masking tape on door edges to avoid scratches.
 As spicypixel said have the mechanism ready to install before you dismantle

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 355
  • -Receive: 351
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=u1stcdv9inqfd9dq0hk7582q26&/topic,103299.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 10:39:30 PM »
Make sure it's not a wire broken as it cost someone £150 unit plus fitting and in the end it was the wiring broken in the rubber grommet and I found the problem but the garage had already bought the part and replaced it  :signLOL: