Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear Door Not Locking  (Read 22667 times)

Offline zenicman9

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Rear Door Not Locking
« on: November 14, 2017, 06:27:45 am »
Hey

Recently my rear door has stopped locking when using the main fob and even when trying to lock from the inside doesn't seem to work

Has anyone seen this before and know I can fix?

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: Rear Door Not Locking
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:32:27 am »
Very common issue.

The door lock module has failed.

You have two options.

1 - Replace with another door lock module. Huge money from dealer or half that from a refurbed eBay one.
2 - Drill a hole in the existing one and fill with grease to get things moving

Either way the door skin needs to be removed. Not a hard job but it's time consuming and fiddly.

Use the search button to find the guide.

Offline spicypixel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:00:17 am »
As a word of warning if stuff is properly broken it becomes a nightmare, I took mine to a local garage because I heard some rattling as I was messing with the door card.

Was worth it as when the door was taken apart the module basically exploded and springs pinged off all over the place.

Either previous owner tried the drill and grease technique and f*cked it up or the module corroded badly. Either way just be prepared for the worst and have a module on standby to install if you go to investigate - assuming you feel uncomfortable having the back door unlockable for a few days.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 05:31:49 pm by spicypixel »
Mk5 GT TDI 170 - MY2007

4ndy

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 06:19:58 pm »
door skin of, new lock mechanism from Ebay. Ive replaced both front mechs £20 within the last year,each with 1yr warranty. A bit tricky 1st time especially handle removal/replacement. Plenty of masking tape on door edges to avoid scratches.
 As spicypixel said have the mechanism ready to install before you dismantle

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 10:39:30 pm »
Make sure it's not a wire broken as it cost someone £150 unit plus fitting and in the end it was the wiring broken in the rubber grommet and I found the problem but the garage had already bought the part and replaced it  :signLOL: 

Offline shaunK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:38:54 am »
Make sure it's not a wire broken as it cost someone £150 unit plus fitting and in the end it was the wiring broken in the rubber grommet and I found the problem but the garage had already bought the part and replaced it  :signLOL:

Hi bud, I know my driver door harness is bad can this make some of the door randomly not lock? I have a 5 door sometimes all the doors lock sometimes just the passengers side ones. I'm thinking change the harness before I start changing modules.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 02:31:52 pm »

Hi bud, I know my driver door harness is bad can this make some of the door randomly not lock? I have a 5 door sometimes all the doors lock sometimes just the passengers side ones. I'm thinking change the harness before I start changing modules.
Hi, firstly I'd check to see if wiring had snapped before replacing any harnesses as you could have a CCM failing! Have you vagcom it to see if there are any fault codes?.

Offline shaunK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 10:16:45 pm »

Hi, firstly I'd check to see if wiring had snapped before replacing any harnesses as you could have a CCM failing! Have you vagcom it to see if there are any fault codes?.

I've repaired wires in the door harness in the past, they're not in a great state to be honest so highly suspect they're the culprit. Where is the CCM located?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 01:24:15 am »

I've repaired wires in the door harness in the past, they're not in a great state to be honest so highly suspect they're the culprit. Where is the CCM located?
It's located behind the glove box

Offline shaunK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 01:59:30 pm »

It's located behind the glove box

What kind of faults can the CCM throw up?

VIN deleted by the way, wasn't thinking :) 

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 02:06:24 pm »
Can't say for sure but you'll find it if there's a fault.
Yeah you definitely don't want that number displayed for everyone as people in this world are sick and twisted :happy2:

Offline shaunK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 07:41:47 pm »

I don't have access to VAGCOM, just out of interest do you know if the CCM need programming like the CANBus or is it plug and play?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 09:59:13 pm »
I'm sure they're plug and play as I helped someone who had a mk6 in their garage for months after someone else messed up and didn't know how to code things back in left them stranded and @SI-R32 helped out so he would be the best person for these questions if he's available  :happy2:

Also if @SI-R32 can contact me via pm would be great thanks

Offline shaunK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 01:38:59 pm »
Finally got round to taking the door card off this morning and came up with a part number of 1K0-971-120-AP, had a look online and can't seem to find anyone in the UK that sales this part. Anyone have any ideas or do I have to bite the bullet and go to the dealer?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 07:47:33 pm »
Nerro will have what you need as they're my local spares source in London