Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear Legroom - same for estate as hatchback?  (Read 5813 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Rear Legroom - same for estate as hatchback?
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:59:47 am »
Morning guys, can some one confirm to me that there is no more rear legroom in the R estate behind the driver than the hatch ie the wheelbase is the same and to make the estate they just extend the roofline and then bring it down which gives you massive boot but no extra space for rear passengers?

Is the room in the MK7 Golf abit bigger than the MK5 though in any event?

Thanks
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Re: Rear Legroom - same for estate as hatchback?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 05:01:15 pm »
I'm sure they have given more legroom in the MK7 due to the fact that my golf clubs and trolley no longer fit in the boot. Edition30 no problem but the PP I have to drop the seats to get them in.
So reckon boot sacrificed for more legroom. I bought a 3dr too so nobody would want to sit in the back. Grrrr.  Yes the boot level is on the bottom rung.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 06:22:38 pm »
Morning guys, can some one confirm to me that there is no more rear legroom in the R estate behind the driver than the hatch ie the wheelbase is the same and to make the estate they just extend the roofline and then bring it down which gives you massive boot but no extra space for rear passengers?

Is the room in the MK7 Golf abit bigger than the MK5 though in any event?

Thanks

@berg I went from 5 door Mk5 GTi to a 5 door Mk7 GTi some 2.5 years ago, I’d say there is more leg room, as we’ve seen with the golf over the years, each new model is bigger than the previous model

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 08:58:26 am »
cheers chaps, Eccie your near Chorley aren't you? Might come and have a look if ok.

I'm looking at an R estate and with me being 6 4 and two growing boys in the back not sure if the Golf is big enough so should be looking s6/5 series touring/e class but if want a performance one on those your looking at the older models - 5.2 v10/ 6.3 v8 and i dont think my pockets are that deep for the consumables tbh 

do we know anyone on here who has an R estate??

Offline markrtw

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 11:09:24 pm »
I had a similar dilemma as I'm 6'4" with 2 growing boys.  Both the golf and leon have the same wheelbase for both for the hatch and estate. So we got a 2014 octavia vrs as it has an extra 5 or 7 cm (I forget exactly)  wheelbase which  all translates as extra rear leg room.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 08:59:15 am »
that's interesting Mark thanks, am surprised though that Skoda went to the trouble of changing the wheelbase if VW and Seat couldn't be bothered or is the Octavia based on the Passat in real terms?

Offline markrtw

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 10:38:48 pm »
The octavia is based on the same MQB chassis as the golf. As the MQB architecture has been designed to be adaptable and Skoda aim to offer more for less, their models are usually stretched to give a bit more room. For example the Superb also uses the MQB chassis but it's stretched out larger than the Passat.  (It has about the same rear leg room as an S class Mercedes) 
When we were shopping for the new family car I compiled a spreadsheet of dimensions for a load of vehicles getting the data from the tech specs in Autotrader, Parkers on line guides and sales catalogues. Having a look at it, here are some stats that come out of it like the octavia estate has a bigger boot than a passat estate or 2012 A6 estate. Golf wheelbase is 2635 and the octavia is 2680. Passat is 2712. (all are mm). My basic test was to go into a dealer, move the driver's seat all the way back (my normal position) and check out the rear room. The Octavia was usefully more roomy in the back.
I then had a search saved on autotrader for a VRS of the right spec which came good after a couple of months and ended getting one just under 3 years old with every option other than power tailgate and sun roof. I bought it with my sensible head on thinking it's a good family car, but living with it I think it's a brilliant car.  So well thought out.  Obviously designed by people with families as it has great little touches. The trade off is a golf would be a little more agile and probably a little more refined, but has less space and costs more.
Compared to the 2005 A4 Avant it replaced its a much better car, with much more room and my wife is very happy with it. I have a mk5 GTI for commuting that I'll probably replace next year with either a mk7 GTI PP or a Leon Cupra. I'll have to see which one I like more!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:49:15 pm by markrtw »

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 08:59:42 pm »
Really pleased this has been asked and the above has been posted.

I'm struggle to consider ED30 replacements, with being 6ft 4" and now having family, will in time have another baby, so need to future proof.

Octavia seems to be the option that I personally keep coming back to because sadly the mk7 just doesn't give me the rear space or the boot space.

I thought that the mk7 estate had a slightly larger boot than hatch but it would only be minimal difference.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391