Make a donation

Author Topic: What rods and pistons  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Markis236

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • If in dout boost it out !
    • Email
  • My Ride: Mk5 golf gti (ko3) mods. Audi s3 8p intercooler,psi tuning 2.5' throttle pipe,updated diverted valve,revo oil catch can
What rods and pistons
« on: November 14, 2017, 05:17:01 pm »
At Christmas time I'm taking time off to finallly k04 the car and was going to drop some rods and pistons in but was wondering what people on here are using as there is loads to chose from? And is rifle drilling really  essential? As iv been offerd a set of second hand rods but they aren't rifle drilled ?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: What rods and pistons
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 09:47:17 am »
Nope.  Rifling is useful in engines that have crap lubrication (i.e. no oil squirters) but in TFSI applications they are not essential at all.  Wrist pins never wear out on these engines unless abused with neglect or crap tuning.   Big ends always go first.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 10:42:51 am »
Look at TSR for some Rod & Piston combo deals.

Who is doing it for you Markis? Is it just rods and pistons your doing?

Offline Markis236

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: Mk5 golf gti (ko3) mods. Audi s3 8p intercooler,psi tuning 2.5' throttle pipe,updated diverted valve,revo oil catch can
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 01:07:02 pm »
THats great new as iv bought a set of integrated engineering rods for 140 quid and there not drilled and doing some research and every one sayes the pin will be fine or it will lays 20k miles and begins to rattle. But I will just fit these ny self and see how things go I mean what's the worst that can happen lol :signLOL:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 02:16:33 pm »
140?! That seems awfully cheap!

Are you just replacing rods and pistons or anything else? I'm not saying it necessarily needs more for a k04 by any means, just curious.

Offline Markis236

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 05:27:01 pm »
Ye I have done some more research on what kind of power the rods and pistons can handle and with a ko4 setup with all the hardware and a really good remap your right on the limit of what the rods can handle but the pistons can handle up to 500 horsepower. So I might just replace the rods and upgrade the big end bearings