Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil pick up pipe  (Read 9498 times)

Offline jaylufc17

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 48
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Oil pick up pipe
« on: November 14, 2017, 05:20:48 pm »
How often should it be changed

Stage 2 GTI DSG  recently got mapped and they said I got another 30k at 101k mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ballcrusher

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • Work in progress
    • incar science
    • Email
Re: Oil pick up pipe
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 02:39:52 am »
If your looking after your oil and keep it with the same branded oil but there isn't a set time when to drop the sump I've just done mine and It was a little gunked up but gave it a good clean as well as the sump refited it and all ok but don't run any better just like normal but only done it for piece of mind   

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 08:35:56 am »
You should never need to replace it

If it ever clogs it can be powerhosed clean and dipped in alcohol to clean it.

I did mine at 100K miles and noted nothing at all in the sump.

Depends on the quality and frequency of your oil changes

Offline jaylufc17

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 48
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 06:40:32 pm »
thanks guys

just hit 101k and just had stage 2 map from RTech. he said change at 130k

oil wise... i check my oil levels weekly and services are yearly...

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:16:35 am »
I'm glad I did mine for peace of mind but until your engine is showing symptoms of starvation (oil pressure light on dash) then I probably wouldn't bother dropping the sump for two reasons.

1 - it's a pain in the arse  :booty:
2 - if it's not put back together properly then the liquid gasket will enter the sump again and cause the problem even worse than before you touched it. As proven by another forum member here when his garage made a balls of it.

Someone is going to probably chime in now with "but if you're starving your engine then the damage elsewhere is worse and it should be done as a preventative measure" but I don't know if there any major issues. Anyone who has reported getting the oil light on just dropped the sump after the fact and haven't' reported any issues back afterwards.

I'd be glad to get others views on the above though!

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 09:17:02 am »
My Car was done at appx 120k miles total , and had previously been on long life services when new (company car!).
Mine from 80k and run on Shell oils (no fancy Millers nonsense  :signLOL:) oil changes now at appx 5/7k, so at least twice yearly.
A regime of lots of regular long motorway runs, and high power blasts too. Very few short/cold journeys.

Had mine done as a preventative...despite being an engineer, I got garage to do it due to prev mentioned pita! No symptoms of loss of oil pressure, leaks etc.

Nil issues found when sump opened! No fouling at all.
Waste of money? Probably.
Peace of mind, yes.

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 01:06:14 pm »
After the pickup pipe blocking twice on my car, if I ever get another GTI I will probably change it again just for a peace of mind.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 01:57:55 pm »
After the pickup pipe blocking twice on my car, if I ever get another GTI I will probably change it again just for a peace of mind.

If it blocked twice then something is wrong.

How soon after did it block the second time and what caused the blockage?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 02:07:57 pm »
I'm glad I did mine for peace of mind but until your engine is showing symptoms of starvation (oil pressure light on dash) then I probably wouldn't bother dropping the sump for two reasons.

1 - it's a pain in the arse  :booty:
2 - if it's not put back together properly then the liquid gasket will enter the sump again and cause the problem even worse than before you touched it. As proven by another forum member here when his garage made a balls of it.

Someone is going to probably chime in now with "but if you're starving your engine then the damage elsewhere is worse and it should be done as a preventative measure" but I don't know if there any major issues. Anyone who has reported getting the oil light on just dropped the sump after the fact and haven't' reported any issues back afterwards.

I'd be glad to get others views on the above though!

No.2 is definitely a problem.  1) People cheaping out on the sealant, and 2) putting way too much of said cheaped out sealant on.

S'funny isn't it.  People resent paying 25 quid for the proper sealant but will happily sink 500 notes on unimportant stuff like forged rods or pistons, or a grand on an exhaust  :stupid:  And come selling time, their advert is full of nonsense like "No expense spared, wanted for nothing....."  Yeah right  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 03:33:09 pm »

Thing is Luke, the pressure required to trigger that message on the dash is so low, that terminal damage could occur before the light even displays.

S'funny isn't it.  People resent paying 25 quid for the proper sealant but will happily sink 500 notes on unimportant stuff like forged rods or pistons, or a grand on an exhaust  :stupid:  And come selling time, their advert is full of nonsense like "No expense spared, wanted for nothing....."  Yeah right  :grin:

Agreed. Used VW genuine sealant when I've done it - it is very important as the conditions it is subject to require the genuine quality. The genuine sealant (once dry) will not break off inside the sump. I've heard that the dirko equivalent is just as good but personally use genuine

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 04:22:41 pm »
Yeah I was thinking the same.  If the oil pressure goes at high revs, by the time the light comes on, the big ends will already be running dry.

The VAG stuff is a proper anaerobic sealant, whereas silicon sealant air dries from chemicals like ammonia and stuff evaporating off.   The VAG stuff is designed to have a rapid cure time and a minimal dispersing when squashed, so you can fill the sump with oil by the time you've buttoned up the sump bolts.
It's worth paying for that, rather than hanging around for hours for the silicon to cure, and the uncertainty of how much has squished out into the sump.

It also goes a long way too.  I bought a tube of it 4 years ago and have done 3 R32 sumps and my ED30s with it, and still got some left!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 04:25:20 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline horsemeat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 08:43:58 am »
It also goes a long way too.  I bought a tube of it 4 years ago and have done 3 R32 sumps and my ED30s with it, and still got some left!

Just a note of caution for others here: when I ordered the sealant I never thought to check the date. By the time I came to do the job (6 months or so later) the stuff had past expiry. Cut open the tube and it had set rock hard - luckily I checked before removing the sump!

If buying the vw stuff I would recommend people check the date or do the job quickly!  :grin:

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 04:18:12 pm »

If it blocked twice then something is wrong.

How soon after did it block the second time and what caused the blockage?

Nearly a year after and it happened not long after I did an oil change. I suspect that the detergents in the new oil washed away more of the gunk in the engine after I did the change hence it blocking again. This time round I ran some flushing oil through it and hopefully that's the last of it!