Make a donation

Author Topic: Desperate Wheel Offset Help  (Read 1146 times)

Jonj1611

Desperate Wheel Offset Help
« on: November 16, 2017, 10:32:30 pm »
Hello,

New member here, erm I have a GT, I am only missing the i :)

Anyway having an awful time with some alloys, bought some second hand for my 2005 2.0 GT FSI and they were advertised as ET42, even the receipt from where the bloke bought them said ET42, however on looking at the wheels when I got home it says ET33 :(

What I am trying to find out is whether these wheels will fit, I have done some measurements and I think they will be ok but trying to get some solid advice before I start buying tyres! The wheels themselves are 6.5J x 17 and will be using 205/50/17 tyres.

From what I can tell the tyres will be 17mm further out than the 16's on their at the moment.

But need some expert advice on this, what do you think? Will they go on again with no rubbing etc?

Thank you for any help.

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 13
Re: Desperate Wheel Offset Help
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 02:02:10 pm »

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 12:59:31 am »
It all depends on the design of the wheel but I think your saving grace is that the wheel width is a 6.5J rather than the conventional 7J or 7.5J that is usually found on 17" wheels. So even with an aggressive offset like ET33 the shorter wheel width will probably be about level on the arches and is roughly comparable to something like a 18x8J wheel with ET44 offset found on some BBS wheels as a guide.

But I recommend doing a test fit at least before buying the tyres to check to see if it clears the arches and the brakes.

Jonj1611

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 08:47:28 pm »
Hi,

Thought I would come back an update this. Test fitted and stuck out just a little too far. So ordered the exact same wheels with the correct offset and now looks great :)