Make a donation

Author Topic: Drivers door card fuel button surround  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Ant b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
Drivers door card fuel button surround
« on: November 18, 2017, 06:33:04 pm »
Hello I have a bit of a dilemma I’m trying to respray my fuel button surround on my gti as it was worn like the door Handel’s,problem is I don’t think it’s ment to come of as I had to de plastic weld a part so it came of,
I’ve now removed all the black plasticy stuff on it and am gonna paint it,but nothing is sticking to it or it’s just reacting,and I’m wondering what colour do I paint it as I’m thinking about buying new door Handel’s as there going to be worse than this to paint,
So if I do this Matt black or anthercite it may not mate a new Oem Handel and I carnt see that you can buy new fuel button surrounds
red mk5 golf gti ks05 fak,ram air intake,3” downpipe/decat,dv+,bcs rev ll exhaust stage 1 remap.coilovers,whiteline rarb and depo projectors,
Edition 30 front splitter,r32/gti rear,r32 side skirts
Soon to be r tech stage 2

Offline delob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Drivers door card fuel button surround
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 06:48:06 pm »
Hello I have a bit of a dilemma I’m trying to respray my fuel button surround on my gti as it was worn like the door Handel’s,problem is I don’t think it’s ment to come of as I had to de plastic weld a part so it came of,
I’ve now removed all the black plasticy stuff on it and am gonna paint it,but nothing is sticking to it or it’s just reacting,and I’m wondering what colour do I paint it as I’m thinking about buying new door Handel’s as there going to be worse than this to paint,
So if I do this Matt black or anthercite it may not mate a new Oem Handel and I carnt see that you can buy new fuel button surrounds
I had a similar problem with the gear lever surround. The paint was beginning to peel so I removed it fully with a very fine sand paper and sprayed it satin black. Gave it 3 coats leaving an hour between each one. Came up perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graphite Blue MK5 GTI

Offline fab5freddy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 04:35:18 pm »

Hi mate, I’ve got a spare one from a spare door card I had, in good condition. PM me a number and I can send you some pics if you like 👍

Offline Ant b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 11:45:12 pm »
Kind of in a rush for it as I need to refit it so I can get fuel lol,think I may go get a can of satin black,as that looks like it may be the best match
red mk5 golf gti ks05 fak,ram air intake,3” downpipe/decat,dv+,bcs rev ll exhaust stage 1 remap.coilovers,whiteline rarb and depo projectors,
Edition 30 front splitter,r32/gti rear,r32 side skirts
Soon to be r tech stage 2

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 07:43:50 am »
Reminds me of a few weeks ago when I was doing my audio upgrade. I was driving around with no door cards for awhile and then pulled into the gas station to fuel up. Doh, can't open the fuel flap. Had to go home and install it so I could go back and get gas.

Offline Raincloud

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 10:36:58 pm »

Link is to vid of emergency fuel cap release. I googled it in tescos when fuel release would not work.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 08:41:49 am »
Oh, cheers for that.
Hopefully since I repaired the wiring loom going into the car door when doing my audio upgrade I won't ever have to do this.