Make a donation

Author Topic: Do the tyres on your car say something about you or its history?  (Read 3844 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Do the tyres on your car say something about you or its history?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 06:31:38 pm »
They were brand new, 2017 dates. Will be fine  :happy2:
Good find then :)

Offline Gtcpaul1971

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
  • Graphite blue 54 plate 5 Dr gti.
    • Email
  • My Ride: Graphite blue, 54 plate gti
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 07:58:49 pm »
I put 4 Yokohama's on my old Astra gtc. Changed to nexen's which I preferred. I hated the Bridgestone potenzas on my BMW 1 series coupe, run flats and rock hard. Swopped or f1 asymetrics, much better. Liked the conti's I had.
Graphite blue 54 plate.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 09:27:23 am »
That's hard-core dedication lol  :happy2:
I had them insanely cheap - £120 for one pair and £100 for the other pair - Couldn't say no  :signLOL:

Tyres will be inside in the warm over winter and the first pair will likely be fitted in the spring. I'm sure they will be ok  :thinking:

I wouldn't say no at that price either!  They'll be fine so long as they pass the thumbnail squidge test  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 01:43:29 pm »
Sorry to go off topic slightly but this reminds of few years ago I went to a breakers to strip some bits off an Elise. After getting what I was after I looked at the wheels (possible purchase?) and realised the reason it had gone backwards through a wall was because the rears had been fitted down the near side and the front wheels down the offside. So, 16 inch wide wheels down one side, 15 inch skinny' down the other. No wonder they crashed. It's not like it's an easy mistake to make either.
Back on topic tho, yeah, mismatched and or cheap tyres make me cringe in adverts, if someone skimps on the few cm2 of rubber attaching them to the road, what else have they short cut you can't see.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 06:49:43 pm »
When I viewed my edition 30 at haylesdens VW, back in 2012, it had some bct ditchfinders fitted to the front, by them as part of there prep for sale. I knew the history of the car as it was a previous owner on the forum, so was happy to buy. The salesman snapped my head off when I asked why a 230bhp car has been fitted with cheap Chinese ditchfinders, he said there £100 each those tyres, no sorry there £40 each on a variety of websites. He wasn't happy, refused to change them or budge on price.

They soon went in the bin and it's either had a full set of michelins or goodyears since, although it currently sat on winter wheels and tyres to spring  :signLOL:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 11:44:54 am »
when the sales cars at work need tyres they get mid range brands on as i refuse to put cheap crap on them