Make a donation

Author Topic: Camshaft positioning sensor fault  (Read 6149 times)

Offline Dij303

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Camshaft positioning sensor fault
« on: December 02, 2017, 07:46:25 am »
Hi, I’m looking for advice if anyone can help me. I recently bought a mk5 GTI 2005, after about 100 miles the EML came on. Had it diagnosed as the Camshaft positioning sensor, took it back to the dealer, they had their garage replace the sensor (not a Bosch part but a cheap one apparently as I was in a hurry) after about 50 miles the light came on again. Obviously Alarm bells are ringing. I’ve been told by another mechanic that if the camshaft positioning chain goes it can be fatal for the engine however the dealer is certain it’s just the sensor. The car drives fine, no symptoms of this fault so im inclined not to worry too much and just enjoy the car. I’ve been told this sensor showing up as an engine management fault is quite common. Has anyone experienced this before? Cheers

Offline Dannyboi#722

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
  • My Ride: GOLF GTI EDITION 30 TTE480 BHP 446 & 443FT*LB FORGED (Mapped by R-Tech)
Re: Camshaft positioning sensor fault
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 06:16:57 pm »
Hi, I’m looking for advice if anyone can help me. I recently bought a mk5 GTI 2005, after about 100 miles the EML came on. Had it diagnosed as the Camshaft positioning sensor, took it back to the dealer, they had their garage replace the sensor (not a Bosch part but a cheap one apparently as I was in a hurry) after about 50 miles the light came on again. Obviously Alarm bells are ringing. I’ve been told by another mechanic that if the camshaft positioning chain goes it can be fatal for the engine however the dealer is certain it’s just the sensor. The car drives fine, no symptoms of this fault so im inclined not to worry too much and just enjoy the car. I’ve been told this sensor showing up as an engine management fault is quite common. Has anyone experienced this before? Cheers

Hello buddy sorry to hear about the problem with the car. Yeah that’s right you’ve got a cam-belt & cam-chain on  your golf gti if any one of these fail it courses a lot of damage, get somebody with vcds to check the actual timing values & start there I’m no expert on this but have seen something similar quite recently. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Golfman16

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 10:00:36 pm »
Apparently the cheap after market sensors aren’t the way has to be genuine one mybe someone else will clarify this or enlighten us another way of keepin this damm EML out  :thinking: :thinking:

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:56:57 pm »
Also keen to know, am going to check mine soon just to make sure its in good condition and not covered in dirt. No EML's but want to make sure its safe to remove and check.

Offline shaunK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 09:49:17 pm »
I had the this go, replaced it with a non genuine item. Reset the fault using the Torque App and hasn't come back since (roughly 4months). Maybe I was lucky.

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 11:51:02 am »
Tried checking mine, boy is it awkward to get to. Tried every socket and wrench i have. Dont know how everybody else got on trying to get to theirs. I gave up in the end.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 11:55:57 am »
It's a piece of piss!  Engine cover off, bungy cord any hoses n things out of the way, torx T30 and out it comes.  Takes 5 mins.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D