Make a donation

Author Topic: S3 CDL Engine covered in oil...  (Read 2276 times)

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
S3 CDL Engine covered in oil...
« on: December 03, 2017, 10:53:12 am »
I know this isn't an Audi forum but you guys are so helpful and it's really a MK6 R in disguise :)

My brothers S3 8P went in to be serviced and the PCV was replaced, air was passing straight through. The strange thing is that his engine is covered in oil. The garage are fairly certain that the dodgy PCV could be the culprit but it is bizarre how the oil seems to be everywhere. Dripping down the side of the cam belt cover, even out on the back tray by the downpipe.

They have recommended a good clean of the engine bay and engine to ensure that there is no fresh oil leaking.

How would people recommend cleaning the engine to such an extent? Any companies in West London that you could recommend for a proper clean? Anyone heard of the PCV causing this kind of issue before?

Would really appreciate your advice, thank you!

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: S3 CDL Engine covered in oil...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 02:27:22 pm »
I've used some Autoglym Engine Degreaser on engines before, works a treat. Spray it on and use slow running water to rinse off, don't use high pressure (just an open end hose) then leave to dry out. If there's any sensors, disconnect them and wrap in a bit on cling flim to prevent water getting in and a quick spray of WD40 before fitting the connectors back will force any moisture out.

When I had a suspected transfer box leak on my 6R, I traced it to a small pipe at the back of the rocker cover. Check around the whole cover and all attached pipe work to see if there's any signs of failed seals or pipes.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
Re: S3 CDL Engine covered in oil...
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:37:49 pm »
That's brilliant thank you, I will give my brother a hand with cleaning the engine this weekend to hopefully remove all the gunk!

Most appreciated.