Make a donation

Author Topic: Dremel Set - any suggestions?  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Tazocin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
Dremel Set - any suggestions?
« on: December 05, 2017, 07:20:35 pm »
Looking into getting a dremel set for working on the car/round the housebut I have no idea which to get. Do I want corded or battery (battery seems more useful when working in tight spaces but is power/battery life ok? Any models to go for in particular? Any must have attachments? Are they worth getting?

All advice is welcomed.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Dremel Set - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:31:27 pm »
I bought a cordless one not long ago because I possibly needed to use it in places where a power source wasn't available. It seems quite powerful and did what I needed with ease. If I was sure I wasn't going to need to use it without a power supply then I would be tempted to save a bit of cash and buy a corded one.

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
Dremel Set - any suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 08:37:59 pm »
I've got the dremel 3000, it's a corded one.
Bought it randomly to add to the tool collection
Brilliant tool, comes in handy definitely
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:27:35 am by MIJ_JAGGER »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:26:14 pm »
I have a mains one as well.  I did try a cordless one and it just slowed right down or stopped when you put any kind of pressure on it. Useless.

I'm sure there must be better alternatives these days?  I think a lot of the cost of a Dremel is just the name. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 02:17:02 pm »
I bought the basic Dremel 3000 on offer for around £25 a few months back for messing around with 2 stroke engines and porting (My son's first bike and I have about 5 engines to mess around with  :driver: :signLOL:). I've not needed full power/speed as yet but it has ample for anything DIY around the house

eBay accessory kits are surprisingly good value, but I have to say the Tungsten carbide burrs i bought are my favourite accessory to date, chew through aluminium with ease  :grin:
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 09:12:41 am »
I bought a corded one about ten years ago and went for one with the most accessories that I could get from B&Q. The cord is quite short and if I have to use it anywhere, I need an extension cord which can make it a bit awkward in certain positions and postures. I'd have thought the cordless one would make life easier.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Tazocin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 09:38:25 am »
Cheers all, I'll have a look and see. Cordless tempts me but slightly worried about it stopping when you ask it to work hard! can see having a short cord would be a bind when I needed to get under the car at something.