Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI V won't start, no lights on dashboard, issue with relay 460 (B1)?  (Read 5349 times)

Offline BruceSun

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hi everybody,

First of all, let me present myself as I am new on this forum: my name is Bruce, iam from Saint Martin in the Caribbean, and I own a 2008 Golf mk5 GTI DSG, european spec.

Before I even post here, I have made plenty of research on the forum and on the web and made some tests, so thanks for reading me as I think I need to tell you everything in detail so you can advise me:

Also, so you know, with the hurricane Irma which destroyed 95% of the island, i cannot bring the car to any garage to get it checked.

I had recently a problem with my shifter, I couldn't move it out of park, and as soon as i was starting the engine, then I couldn't remove the key out of the ignition, could only do it if i disconnect the battery.

I decided to remove the shifter, and to be able to do that, i removed the driver seat, some plastics around etc...

Please note that the car has always started perfectly, the battery is good, but after having removed these part in order to remove the shifter, the car doesn't start anymore. I put the shifter back and all parts back and still same problem! When i turn the key, there is not lights in the dashboard, nothing, like if there is not current. But windows work, radio work etc... the boot doesnt open.

Here is what i have checked so far:

Battery ok

All fuses ok, but in the fuse box that is located in the engine bay, I can't find no tension on fuses 6, 9, 10, 11, 12 (even with the key on). I have also replaced the relays in this fuse box, the 2 relays (100) but not the 167 that is located in between this fuses --> do you think that relay provides the alimentation to theses fuses?

Also, i have changed the fuse B1 (460) under the dashboard, but it didn't change anything --> So i have removed the Relay B1 and checked if there is tension coming to it and there is none! If i remove the relay B9 and i check, there is tension.

So i believe there must be a problem with wiring, or something else linked to the relay B1 but I am lost, I don't know what should i check next. What i would like to know is should there be some tension continuously arriving to relay B1? or only when key is on?

I don't know if it is clear, I am french so please feel free to ask me anymore questions, I can maybe give you more details so you understand better what's my problem, please help!

Thank you so much fellas,

Bruce
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:28:25 pm by BruceSun »

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: GTI V won't start, no lights on dashboard, issue with relay B1?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 07:16:10 am »
I would look into the ignition switch as there common for failing and I doing so the fault list as variable in nature.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AOoraqzN7Hs

Offline BruceSun

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: GTI V won't start, no lights on dashboard, issue with relay B1?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:27:57 pm »
Thanks a lot, problem is that i dont have access to a new ignition switch right now, so i am trying to find out first if there is not a ground problem somewhere..

I have read on different thread who have similar problem as mine that most of the time the problem comes from a faulty relay 460 (position B1 under the dashboard, that gives power to the ecu i believe).

Thing is that my relay 460 is good, but there is no power going to it, so i think that is why it doesnt "turn on" the relay when the key is in the ignition, and then the information isn't forwarded to the ECU etc that would explain why there is no lights in the dashboard and why the car won't start.

But i don't know what gives power to the relay 460, so im not sure how to check where the issue is... and i am wondering if that is linked to the fuses 6, 9, 10, 11, and 12 as well located in the engine bay as the fuses are good but they get no power as well?

Any idea on what next tests could i do by myself?

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
Re: GTI V won't start, no lights on dashboard, issue with relay 460 (B1)?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:47:50 pm »
Are the cables on the front of the battery all ok? I'm pretty sure one of them is supply to the B1 relay, no idea which one sorry

Google image for rough idea

Offline BruceSun

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: GTI V won't start, no lights on dashboard, issue with relay 460 (B1)?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 10:05:45 pm »
Thanks for your . help, but yes all fuses are ok in the front and they all get power!