Make a donation

Author Topic: Quite induction  (Read 12887 times)

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Quite induction
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 04:14:33 pm »
Out of interest what sort of psi does / should a REVO Stage 2 boost too ? On a k04 that is

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 04:53:44 pm »
Not sure mate.  1.7 bar I would expect.   You can only push to 2 bar+ with a HPFP.  You could drop Revo a line, they're very responsive on email.   Not sure they would reveal that though......even though you can see it on the Polar FIS / VCDS  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 05:50:54 pm »
Ya ... did a quick pull today .. glanced down and looked around 18psi , just wondered if that was what it’s meant to be ...

Sorry going off topic

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 08:04:39 pm »
Ya ... did a quick pull today .. glanced down and looked around 18psi , just wondered if that was what it’s meant to be ...

Sorry going off topic

Yours is stage 2 Revo, right? 18 psi = 1.24 bar. That's pretty low. It that stable boost or peak boost?

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 09:13:46 pm »
Really not sure .... I’ll give it some beans tomorrow if the weathers ok and see ....

My revo settings are

Boost-6
Timing-5
Fuel-7
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:16:45 pm by Bodyboarder81 »

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 07:29:31 am »
Boost 6-5-9 is the default setting for running super unleaded/V-Power fuel so explains why the boost figure is lower than it could be. Boost request isn't static, it will vary depending on current conditions, Load, RPM, throttle request etc.

I'm interested to see how Revo deal with this common problem......but I always loved Revo maps. Super smooth, hence giving their 2+ a whirl.

Pretty sure Revo don't map around it as such and just try to boost through the surge point, so said hesitation/flat spot sub 3700rpm (ish) will be no better, worse if anything.

Just what I've read over the years, hope I'm proven wrong  :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:41:31 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 07:48:08 am »
When I originally had Revo Stage 1 installed, they recommended 6B / 6T / 9F for vpower but could use 7B also for a more responsive drive.  Obviously I did just that and it ran very nicely.  When I recently had the VIS hpfp fitted, Revo said I could richen the fuelling to 6 or 7 and run boost of 8. This time the car felt rougher on the more aggressive settings and I went back to 7 boost and 7 fuel, where it runs more happily. This is in the context of a K03 car however I think you can likely up your boost and timing settings a notch.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 08:04:35 am »
No guessing, Data logging needed. Timing 6 is quite a strong request for V Power using F9 (the leanest request possible) and would need logging to ensure its ok. Revo only suggest F9 to try to work around the lack of fuel available at low RPM thanks to the standard pump and keep the car operating within the 25% correction window that the ECU is capable of.

Felt rougher how, and under what conditions? day to day driving?
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 09:49:20 am »
Data logging is always a good idea and fwiw my car was originally logged satisfactorily during summer on the settings (T6 / F9) you feel to be aggressive. That said, not everyone has easy access to open unpoliced roads or dynos to facilitate logging and therefore place some reliance on manufacturer’s recommendations.

Anyhow, more recently after the new stage 1 VIS hpfp was fitted with Revo’s more ambitious settings, the car felt rougher running in day to day driving, being lumpy and unhappy on part throttle.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 10:10:40 am »
Data logging is always a good idea and fwiw my car was originally logged satisfactorily during summer on the settings (T6 / F9) you feel to be aggressive. That said, not everyone has easy access to open unpoliced roads or dynos to facilitate logging and therefore place some reliance on manufacturer’s recommendations.

Anyhow, more recently after the new stage 1 VIS hpfp was fitted with Revo’s more ambitious settings, the car felt rougher running in day to day driving, being lumpy and unhappy on part throttle.

I didn't say aggressive, what I meant was everything needs to be pukka and happy in order for it to be ok on that request. Not all cars are though which is why I would always recommend logging unless you go with a much lower/safer request

I'm not saying i don't believe you, but find it odd that it was the day to day driving that was affected since the settings change the WOT requests. Day to day driving the ECU runs a stoich mixture and huge timing request. I've never noticed a difference with mine running lower settings in terms of drivability, only at WOT.

Mine runs B9-T7-F6 I think? But then again I use WMI so not comparable. Still, as long as people are happy, thats all that matters

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 12:12:12 pm »
Done a few pulls today from low down and saw 23psi spike then a consistent 17ish psi to red line ..... runs nice , so happy really .

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 12:14:40 pm »
Done a few pulls today from low down and saw 23psi spike then a consistent 17ish psi to red line ..... runs nice , so happy really .

That's more like stage 2 boost levels. :happy2:

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 12:18:15 pm »
Do I do a pull in 4th gear from 2500 rpm to redline to determine amount of boost?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 03:57:21 pm »
Yeah 4th is best as it's a 1:1 ratio, so takes gearing out of the equation.   As Dan says, you need to keep the pedal pinned because the boost varies with pedal position.

Popped up to AKS today and got the Revo Stage 2+ done. B9, T4, F8.

Initially I was surprised how flat it felt compared to my custom map. Quite a marked difference in pedal punch.  The Revo needs a much harder shove on the pedal to get the same sensation of midrange thump, despite going with the default non-linear pedal map.  There was no timing pull on the test runs apparently and Vince there said it was quick, so I guess that's how it is.

During the 80 mile journey home, I got used to it and it's way smoother at part throttle and the 2500-3000 surging has gone.  I think because it's smoother, it can be perceived as being slower, but the mph needle flies round just as quick as before.  I'm not dissapointed, it's a really good map......I was expecting it to be more aggressive.  I will play with the settings.  I might back the boost off and add timing. 

What do the numbers add/subtract in real terms?  Say, going from T1 to T9, how many degrees of advance does it add, and is it across the whole map or just in boost? 

The Revo intake is a lot quieter with their own software, which is a nice, but unexpected bonus!

Another plus point is an annoying jolt coming on/off the throttle around town has completely gone.  Go Revo  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 04:24:32 pm »
Very nice Pudding!