Make a donation

Author Topic: Quite induction  (Read 13092 times)

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
Re: Quite induction
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2018, 09:47:25 pm »
Thinking of just throwing both intakes onto ebay to be honest.   Feeling a bit indecisive.  I don't think the modest top end gains are worth the high price of the intake, the noise, or the idle/part throttle rubbishness in all honesty.
[/quote]

Thinking of doing the same with my vwr intake and just chucking the oem one on with an updated panel filter. Looked under the bonnet today and noticed that the intake canister is hitting/rubbing the the little black dust cap thing on the hpfp. Iv had to use cable ties to secure and stop the intake flopping about under the bonnet, that and all the other faults with this thing I think it’s ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING that Vw racing or racingline whatever there calling themselves these day can charge people the best part of £500 for what’s essentially a few pieces of pipe, hose and a sponge and obviously zero r&d done. Rant over :evilgrin:

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2018, 10:21:17 pm »
Yep - mine did that until the intake snorkel thing of the VWR kit was moved further to the passenger side. One of the pipes was slightly re-routed so at least the HUGE airbox canister wasn't resting on the four-way union as well, but as Pudding says (and thank-you for your useful posts as ever!) there is still the back and forth movement as the engine rocks, and it still nudges that small coolant return from the top of the engine.

I have kept a close eye on mine since, and there are occasions where the filter housing comes out of the air duct piece fixed in the slam panel. Pudding is right - there is no consideration for engine movement on a road car on these kits. It isn't vertical movement - it is the back and forth that causes the canister to hit the coolant t-piece.
I am thinking of the gruvenparts stronger t-piece and then an extra sleeve of rubber hose to protect / give a bit more life to the one that gets hit, but that still isn't what I'd have thought I would ever need to do to correct what is marketed as a premium aftermarket item...!

I did find a very interesting photo of a VW racing car for sale - I must upload the photo, but it looks as though some of the coolant pipes have been rotated, and a bracket fitted which holds one of the hard pipes to the bulkhead.

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2018, 10:33:48 pm »
I would recommend finding the right MAF pipe before sacking off intakes all together @pudding

The one I have now is near enough perfect and it drives well, much better than with the MAF pipe from other intakes such as the RamAir thing. My LTFT never deviates more than +- 2% even with the WMI spraying on occasion. Checked it tonight and its currently sat at 0.8%

It was a CTS intake my pipe originated from.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2018, 05:54:44 pm »
@99hagued  Yeah it is shocking.  I'm not impressed with the VWR intake at all, probably one of the worst on the market for fitment, but also the most expensive.  It does OK on the fuel trims though after they shoved a sleeve into it.  Apparently VWR weren't interested in resolving the problem until APR got involved.

@Dave J  Makes me laugh. It's like a double glazing company selling you some upgraded windows made-to-measure for your house, but you have to bash half the bricks away to make them to fit.  It's forgivable if it's a beta product, but even after APR got involved 6 years ago, it's STILL a beta product!!!  There is a rumour circulating that they are working on a improved design.  If it's true, they need to offer the revised version to existing customers at a massive discount!

@Dan_FR  Don't worry, I'm not giving up yet.  I got over myself today, did an oil change and threw the Revo intake back on whilst I was there, but with the ghetto sleeve from the VWR intake shoved up it's hole this time.  It's a section of 1mm wall thickness stainless pipe, which is naturally springy and holds itself in place no problem.  It drops the diameter down to 63.5mm, so near as dammit stock diameter. 

I reset the trims and went out for a test run.  After 50 miles, this is what I got.  Much, much better  :happy2:  Without the ghetto mod, the trims would shoot up to 8-9% within 30 miles, so this is very encouraging.  I will give it a couple of weeks and see where they settle at.  Big improvements in idle quality too.  A couple of flat spots (compared to the stock intake) but I'm hoping these will smooth out over time.

Yes in that thread I linked to, I'm sure the CTS pipe is mentioned as being a good one, so I'm glad you've found something that works for you  :happy2:

I'm not completely anti intakes, I just want one that works properly.  I really like the Revo for it's one piece pipe and a few other bits.  No silicon joiners which can create steps in the air flow and introduce turbulence.  They kind of knew what they were doing on the one hand, but made the same mistakes as others on the other hand.

I mean, for example, this MAF mounting is absolutely perfect. VWR's is junk and leaked like a sieve until I corrected it.

Lovely smooth transition from 90mm to 70mm  :happy2:  Keeps the airflow happy.

KO4 DV input already built into the pipe. A blanking bung supplied for K03 people. VWR people have to puncture the pipe and fit a fitting themselves  :stupid:

One area that isn't so good with the Revo is the MAF insertion depth.  Not even close to central, where the air stream has more velocity.  Still, the trims seem to be OK at the moment so I will see how it pans out.

For comparison, VW's MAF insertion depth.  Dead centre.  We know VW don't use guesswork, therefore we can assume this depth is where it needs to be. 

As for why an oval shape, who knows.  The TT-S EA113 engine uses a 3" round MAF mounted far away from the turbo, so this is something I may look into in the future.

I suspect it's because on the GTI, the MAF sits so darn close to the turbo and they found an oval gives a more consistent reading.  Anyway, it's all good, I like experimenting with this stuff!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 06:01:39 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2018, 08:13:41 pm »
Love your posts @Pudding! :drinking:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2018, 09:34:13 am »
Love your posts @Pudding! :drinking:

Thanks mate  :smiley:

After 80 miles the trims are going negative, so that insert is slightly too thick.

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2018, 11:43:36 am »
Has this intake system been tested by any of the members on here?

It is enclosed, so I'd assume it would be quieter than an open cone, but i could be wrong!

The second link is the "gen 2" version, although I do not know the differences between the two.
https://www.hg-motorsport.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p26261_HFI-Carbon-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit-for-VAG-2-0-TFSI-Models.html
https://www.hg-motorsport.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p28061_HFI-Air-Intake-Kit-Gen-2--Plus--for-VAG-2-0TFSI-Models.html

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2018, 11:57:12 am »
Enjoyed that read, including the ghetto sleeve insert. Not sure that is any better for smooth flow than an additional join further down the intake, but at least it is helping

How far negative are we talking?

As for the MAF insertion depth, mine is nowhere near centre, it is near the edge as the Revo one is and my trims are perfect. I found by changing the mounting depth and mounting it central in the pipe it significantly reduced the reading and gave me the 10-15% positive trims I had previously

Whats the next plan? A thinner insert?
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2018, 12:00:09 pm »
Has this intake system been tested by any of the members on here?

It is enclosed, so I'd assume it would be quieter than an open cone, but i could be wrong!

The second link is the "gen 2" version, although I do not know the differences between the two.
https://www.hg-motorsport.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p26261_HFI-Carbon-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit-for-VAG-2-0-TFSI-Models.html
https://www.hg-motorsport.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p28061_HFI-Air-Intake-Kit-Gen-2--Plus--for-VAG-2-0TFSI-Models.html

Another crazy money intake!   Looks good though and will be quieter than open cone for sure.

It's nice to see an intake with a flex coupling, too.

V2 appears to just have that bulge in the filter housing compared to V1, which is similar to the old Carbonio/APR intake.    I'm sure they will try and baffle you with science as to why that shape is beneficial, but 90% of it will be marketing flannel  :grin:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2018, 12:14:04 pm »
Enjoyed that read, including the ghetto sleeve insert. Not sure that is any better for smooth flow than an additional join further down the intake, but at least it is helping

How far negative are we talking?

As for the MAF insertion depth, mine is nowhere near centre, it is near the edge as the Revo one is and my trims are perfect. I found by changing the mounting depth and mounting it central in the pipe it significantly reduced the reading and gave me the 10-15% positive trims I had previously

Whats the next plan? A thinner insert?

Yeah the step from the insert won't aid smooth air flow!

It's on -2% after 71 miles.  I can already feel in the way it drives that number will grow.  I don't like seeing negative trims.  It's safer to add fuel than subtract it.

OK, I will ignore the mounting depth for now.  Some things can't be explained / reasoned unfortunately!

I can't find any stainless tubing with <1mm wall thickness, so I think it's going to be a back to the drawing board approach.

I might get the 42DD clip in MAF housing to use with the stock TIP and work back from there.  I'm thinking these aftermarket pipes are too long which reduces the off boost responsiveness, certainly in K04 applications.   I've got a few ideas floating around my head, so I'll have to see what's available.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2018, 06:03:01 pm »
Stock intake back on.  B9,T4,F8.  Drives superb  :smiley:   Much more responsive everywhere compared to Revo + B9,T5,F7.

The only reason I can come up with for that is the very short path of the stock intake.   Turbo inlet to filter is about 18 inches, compared 4+ feet of drain pipe to filter.

The VWR is also a lot more responsive low down than the Revo intake.

With turbo engines, the air intake and exhaust paths need to be as short as possible for maximum response.   

Therefore my 'problem' is more fundamental than MAF scaling/trims, it's just basic physics. 

If you look at the AMG A45 and BMW M turbo engines, they all have very short boost paths.

This is how it should be done (M3 turbo engine) :smiley:

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2018, 06:18:28 pm »
I’m new to all these revo settings .... back when I had a revo map the sps controller was for 4 different maps ( shell v power /95/stock/limited rpm)

I have a sps controller but it’s the old style I presume .

I guess the new ones you can play with everything ( boost/timing/fuel) but why would one bother to pay for a ‘+’ map just to play with the settings anyway ? Could you not just use the sps controller to run + settings anyway ?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2018, 06:33:14 pm »
Doesn't work that way chap.  + is + level of boost.  It's fixed.  So you can't get a Stage 1 map and up it to 2+ with an SPS  :smiley:

The adjustable settings just fine tune things like boost responsiveness, target air/fuel ratio and ignition timing.  B3 or B9, you still get 2+ boost pressure, just one is more aggressive than the other.

To be honest I don't really feel much of a difference performance wise across the settings, they're pretty subtle changes, but mine seems to feel smoother with less timing and less fuel, so there's an advantage to having adjustments right there  :happy2:

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2018, 06:37:01 pm »
Right .... thanks for explanation, makes sense  :happy2: