Make a donation

Author Topic: Water Services Bill Query?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Water Services Bill Query?
« on: December 11, 2017, 01:20:47 pm »
A bit of a grumble here - just received my latest Water services Bills, and it works out to well over £600 for the whole year, which seems quite a lot to me, so I'm wondering what other folk pay.

My youngest son moved back home in the Spring, so prior to that there was only me and wifey. We did his laundry, as he was only round the corner at his flat, although he does have 3 showers a day (one before the Gym in the morning; one after returning, and then one on the evening, that's every day - bit of a fitness fanatic), but surely that can't account for it. The bill equates to £55 a month. We are on a meter.

Never really analysed it that much before, as it was more like £300, with just me and wifey and junior's washing, so just paid it, but is this about right for 3 people ?? :thinking:

Cheers

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dmus2r5q2d137s6t5dkrffvdq4&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Water Services Bill Query?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 01:31:37 pm »
Surely showing at the gym makes more sense?

Do the maths on what it costs in water for 3 showers a day.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 03:58:59 pm »
Mine is something like £35 a month.  2 people in a 3 story house.  The missus likes to wash the bed linen every week (2 washing machine cycles), and use the dishwasher, and seems to use the entire tank of hot water per shower....... just for reference.

Have you done the water leak test?  I went through that with my supplier after a random £2K bill dropped through my door.

Basically, they get you to note the water meter reading.  Turn the stop cock off.  Wait an hour or something.  Check the meter again.   Then repeat the test with everything off but the stop cock still open.

Between those tests you can determine if you have an internal or external water leak.  If the readings don't move over that hour, you don't have a leak.

And if you have no leaks, then you need to tell your boy to contribute more towards the water bill  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 04:56:42 pm »
Get your local council out and ask them to run the meter at the intlet to your house.

A neighbour found that whilst all her services were off that she was pissing through 2m3/hr

Think it's a leak on the inlet before it hits the house!

But seriously though, tell your son to cop on. Who the hell showers before the gym? Why is he not showering afterwards in the gym and why is he showering again in the evening?

Offline eddie pk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 08:19:04 pm »
have a listen on the pipework with a screwdriver or similar - you should hear a noise if there is a leak . you need to make sure nothing is going through the meter if not using water..dont rush it - could just be a small leak - make cup of tea , read meter , read newspaper ,eat biscuits ,  check meter ...

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 08:56:55 am »
Our water rates are £54 a month, three adults.
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD