Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 gti noisey  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Ant b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
Mk5 gti noisey
« on: December 14, 2017, 06:29:45 pm »
Feel like I made a massive mistake with this car,I’ve had nothing but problems,
It’s incredably noisey inside not so much when going 50 odd but terrible higher up,
It sounds like it’s revving to high like at 80 it’s at just over 3k carnt see why it has 160 on the speedo as it would be screeming.
I have got a oversize ram air on it that I hate as it’s stupid loud,my 1.8t with a cone had a nice dump but not constant.
I haven’t got the under bonnet insulation on,does that make a big difference?
I even had new assemetric 3 tyres fitted to try make it quieter.
I’ve got standerd cat back but with a 3” decat but it does have a tiny split on the ressinator weld,and it quiet downlow but screens at higher revs.

Are they all this loud inside
red mk5 golf gti ks05 fak,ram air intake,3” downpipe/decat,dv+,bcs rev ll exhaust stage 1 remap.coilovers,whiteline rarb and depo projectors,
Edition 30 front splitter,r32/gti rear,r32 side skirts
Soon to be r tech stage 2

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Mk5 gti noisey
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 07:22:31 pm »
One of the things I don't like about my GTI is that the 6th gear seems too high for motorway cruising because like you say it's over 3k at 80mph. Can't really comment on the rest though.

Offline Golfman16

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 07:34:42 pm »
Im runnin a 3" decat plus back box delete & Ram air intake on mine, to be honest dosnt really bother me its quite loud but as its not a daily hack  :jumping: :jumping:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 08:24:37 pm »
MK5s are a bit noisy. There is hardly any sound absorbing material in them.  You can add some though, as I have done.

6th feels fine to me. Any taller and it would be sluggish to accelerate. If anything I want much shorter gears!!

My Revo intake is quite noisy as well, but I’ve got used to it.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Online delob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 10:45:31 pm »
I have a 3 inch Milltek with sport cat and I don’t think it is unacceptably noisy on the motorway. Mine is a DSG and pulls about 2,750 rpm at 80mph. If anything I would say the tyre roar is more unacceptable than engine noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graphite Blue MK5 GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 09:35:59 am »
For me it's the chassis noise that is prehistoric now, compared to modern standards.    The MK5 was the GTI's return to handling and driver enjoyment, and as such, the suspension bushings are a lot smaller to reduce slop and the top mounts are bolted to the chassis, whereas MK2 - MK4 had 'floating' top mounts for comfort.   It all adds up to a thumpy, crashy, noisy experience over rough roads......but the trade off is a tasty handling  :smiley:

And when you add stiff coilovers to the mix, the interior starts to shake to bits too.  Lovely crunchy flimsy plastic sounding noises over sharp bumps.....urrghhh.

Offline Ant b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 07:57:29 pm »
MK5s are a bit noisy. There is hardly any sound absorbing material in them.  You can add some though, as I have done.

6th feels fine to me. Any taller and it would be sluggish to accelerate. If anything I want much shorter gears!!

we’re did you add sound deadening and what type
red mk5 golf gti ks05 fak,ram air intake,3” downpipe/decat,dv+,bcs rev ll exhaust stage 1 remap.coilovers,whiteline rarb and depo projectors,
Edition 30 front splitter,r32/gti rear,r32 side skirts
Soon to be r tech stage 2

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 09:44:57 am »

we’re did you add sound deadening and what type

On the boot floor and under the rear bench seat so far, but will add more to the rear arches behind the shelf supports and behind the rear 1/4 panel cards.   You can see pics in the most recent pages in the "What you did to your MK5 today" thread.