Make a donation

Author Topic: injector cleaning  (Read 4467 times)

Offline mayesj86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
  • Candy white ED30
injector cleaning
« on: December 15, 2017, 02:08:14 pm »
Hi all looking for some advice....
Having staring problems in the mornings with the ole girl she is a bit spluttery and occasionally fuel cuts when at low revs and planting the right foot.
Logged through VSDS and rail pressure is where it should be as is LPFP -  changed 2 years ago looking through receipts with updated version. Has a new bosch battery, fuel filter was changed during service to the 6.6 bar unit. Never been the greatest at starting but slowly getting worse.
Now on 102K and thinking im in dead injectors territory  . Looking for some advice on a cleaner I can run through before having to whip the inlet off and replace or recon or clean them. If anyone has a suggestion other than a cleaner would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jason

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: injector cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 03:54:08 pm »
A cleaner won't do anything unfortunately.  You can get them ultrasonically cleaned in a chemical bath, but personally I believe replacement is the proper fix.  The solenoids inside them can get a bit lazy on top of the usual pintle clogging issues, so best to start afresh.

It may not be the injectors.  Mine were replaced ~40K with new ones from the dealer, and it was walnut blasted in the summer and it's not the smoothest of starters either.

I don't think these engines like the cold very much when they have some miles on them.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mayesj86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
  • Candy white ED30
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 10:54:53 am »
Thanks for the response Pudding kinda suspected that would be the answer. Will look into getting some new injectors ordered in for piece of mind. Would you recommend OEM ones or is it worth throwing a set of S3 ones in? Will take the opportunity to fit the RS4 pressure valve when the manifold is off as well as trying to give the valves a clean. I suspect they may be a tad fouled with everything I have read.

Its gotten a whole lot worse in last few weeks with this cold snap we have been having up here. Hates it for starting but loves the cooler charge temps  :signLOL:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 11:29:25 am »
I got mine from the dealer.  I think I paid ~£125 each with the VAT a few years ago.  I am aware you can get a set for around £400 online/ebay, but do some diligence to make sure they're not fakes!

Yeah sure, you can put S3 ones in if you have an Edition 30, otherwise stick to GTI ones if you're not planning on going KO4.  The RS4 valve is a good idea if your map requests 130bar.  The OEM valve starts to open at around 127 bar I believe, whereas the RS4 opens at 137 bar.

I have a full kit of parts to clean the valves if you're interested.  Injector seal kits x 4, manifold gasket, a can of 'Carbon off', a kit of brushes and the correct tool for fitting new PTFE seals to the injectors.  I bought it all ages ago to do mine, but I decided to get it walnut blasted instead.  I've been meaning to shove it all on ebay for a while, but would rather a member on here make use of it  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 06:52:16 pm »
Mahesh have you considered the rtech injector clean and decarbon service for £325

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ed30