Make a donation

Author Topic: Powerbank With Jumpstart UPBS 8000 A1 - Any Good?  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Powerbank With Jumpstart UPBS 8000 A1 - Any Good?
« on: December 15, 2017, 02:56:53 pm »
Lidl have these powerbank jumpstart gizmos in at the moment, and I wondered if they were any good....£40 Lithium-ion LiFePO4 battery. It's tiny, but says it can start engines up to 2.0 Litres petrol (1.6 diesel).

I have a Lidl trickle charge battery charger and have been very impressed with it - I only use my car once / twice a week, so pop it on during the colder weather. I thought this might be handy to keep in the boot, as it's 10" x 7" in the box, just in case needed when away from home, but am I wasting money, as it's £40 towards a new battery?

These type of things go fast at Lidl and usually they only have a few for a week, then onto another promotion, so not something I can mull over too long.

3 year guarantee...... Thoughts, chaps??  :thinking:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: Powerbank With Jumpstart UPBS 8000 A1 - Any Good?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 03:16:58 pm »
One of the lads tried jumping mine with it from dead and failed.

Do you really need it?

What's the issue with jump leads if you were ever stuck?

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 03:25:36 pm »
I bought an energizer one last year, never had the need to use it but you do have to keep it charged up so you either need to be able to plug it into your cig lighter in your car or remember to keep charging it at home which kind of limits it's usefulness really. It's one of those things that in the right circumstances would probably be a godsend but how often have you ever had a flat battery? In 23 years of driving it's only happened to me once. On balance I'd probably rather spend the money on a quality battery.

willni

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 04:46:19 pm »
Don’t have that specific one, but have a similar one for up to i think 6 litre, depending on quality they can be either good or bad had one blow up in the car put it like that.

Unless you put cars away for the winter there’s no real point as if you ever need it for your own it’ll probably go flat just sitting in your boot (electronics with batteries are best stored at 50% battery btw)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk