Make a donation

Author Topic: Exhaust & Downpipe set up query.  (Read 2202 times)

paulmcgrath

Exhaust & Downpipe set up query.
« on: December 21, 2017, 03:49:00 am »
Looking into getting resonated catback and a 3" downpipe with decat.

I don't want a loud car but I do want a performance upgrade with the downpipe and catback.

Will having the upgraded downpipe and decat cause fumes in the car? smell of petrol,
Do you think with a resonated catback the car wouldn't be too loud?

Pipe works downpipe & Decat.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Exhaust & Downpipe set up query.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 10:19:30 am »
You could try a downpipe first.  That gives more of a gain on it's own compared to a DP + Catback.  Once the exhaust flow gets passed the initial restriction (the oem dp) the gains from there are usually pretty small.   My Ed30 Stage 2+ runs the factory cat back as I don't like excessive noise either.  I may be sacrificing 10hp at the top end, but I'm fine with that.

Yes with a decat it will stink of over rich mixtures when cold.   Some sport cats aren't much better in that respect either.   Smells nice when up to temp though, in a 80s/90s pre-cat requirement kind of way.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

paulmcgrath

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:57:16 pm »
@pudding

A resonated Milltek turbo back with a sports cat has come up for sale around my way. It was broken off another gti.

At the moment my car is just having an under boost issue looked at right now, with loss of power but if that's not a big repair then I want to go stage 2, with the uprated Exhaust setup and remap.

I have some pictures and wanted your opinion on the condition of the exhaust please?

Is it not supposed to be shiny stainless or is that just corrosion and road dirt covering the shiny exhaust underneath?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:50:40 pm by paulmcgrath »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 02:59:57 pm »
Yeah it's a combination of dirt and rust.  Milltek's steel quality is pretty poor and how it's presented there is pretty standard for their systems after some miles.

TBH I would wait and see what the under boost diagnosis is.  If it's a worn out turbo, you'll need some funds for that, but hopefully it's just a split DV or blown O rings in the boost pipework.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mart.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 11:22:22 pm »
Hi. Did you buy the exhaust or know whether it sold as I just came across this when looking for a sports cat. Cheers.

paulmcgrath

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 02:31:17 pm »
I didnt buy it mate, the turbo went in my car. Its for sale in Ireland on adverts.ie