Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 bottom end failure  (Read 5784 times)

Offline Jesse390

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Edition 30 bottom end failure
« on: December 27, 2017, 11:08:41 am »
My son drove my car when the red stop sign flashed low oil pressure. Bless him.
Now I have the dreaded bottom end knock we all fear.. it would probably be easier to source a new engine. I think what ever option its going to be expensive.
There was a rattle which I thought to be alternater bearings which got worse before the car stopped this may have been the oil pump. I may be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. But need to find the cause. Any help/ideas would be appreciated
Max.

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Edition 30 bottom end failure
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 10:41:21 pm »
Could be the Oil pump piston rod one of them is knocking when it shouldn’t be. It could be the camshaft timing chain that’s causing the rattle whereby the tensioner adjusters are broken / snapped. This is not good news I’m afraid.. it could well Ben an engine replacement fix at this stage hard to know but believe me my engine has suffered a significant engine seize where they call this the “death”. Not helpful I know but just preparing you for the worst! Any EM light on dash? My one showed cam- position failure on the scanner when I was recovered at road failure.

Best you can do at this stage is get it checked out!

In the meantime take a look at this thread which may help you understand better of the current dilema you’re in:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,104662.0.html

Hope this helps :)
Rapid Acceleration on a Slippery surface
Sounds like a MK5 GTI 💥👊🏽💯

Offline Jesse390

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 04:51:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try the pick up clean first, shame I've only just had it serviced. It will probably not make a difference, but for peace of mind sake its a must.
Max

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 06:05:09 pm »
If the engine's knocking then that's usually a sign the big end bearing have failed (probably due to lack of oil) so cleaning the oil pick up won't make any difference.

Offline Jesse390

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 02:11:23 pm »
I've resigned myself to the fact. But I need to keep cost to a minimum, but really can not be arsed to do it myself. So now have to decide whether I buy an engine or have mine rebuilt. Either way I think a 1.8t oil pump conversion is in order. For I am sure it's an oil pump failure. Just a sneaking suspicion.

Offline Jesse390

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 11:05:13 am »
Well have just received news that my engine is now scrap. Terminal was the word used. So now having to find a replacement engine. Oh the joys hey. Does anyone know the engine code for the s3. Am I right in thinking it's cdl.
Thanks max.

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 11:12:51 am »
Yes, CDL

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 12:06:47 pm »
Many options......

BYD — VW Golf Mk5 GTI Edition 30, Pirelli Edition

CDL — Volkswagen Golf MKVI GTI Edition 35

CDL — Audi S3 (8P), Golf R (Australia, Japan, Middle-East and North America)

BHZ — Audi S3 (8P)

CDL — Scirocco R

CDLA — Audi S3 (8P), Audi TTS, SEAT León Cupra R Mk2 facelift, VW Scirocco R

CDLF — Golf R (Europe)

BWJ — SEAT León Cupra, SEAT León Cupra Mk2 facelift

That's some bum news though.   Hope you get it sorted for reasonable money.

Personally, I would go for another BYD to keep it original, but that's just me.  CDL/BHZ second choice.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Jesse390

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 02:11:18 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply. I was quoted £900 for the bottom end which sounds reasonable, but the head is scrap and difficult to find. I haven't tried looking so cannot confirm this. I would like to keep it original as in rebuild the engine. I will take it out and then start researching the feasibility of going down the rebuild route.

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 03:51:55 pm »
Might also be worth checking with VW.  Now that the 10 year parts obligation is over for the MK5, they will want to try and shift old stock engines at a good price.    A brand new crate engine from VW would be a very splendid thing  :smiley:

I think yours may be too far gone.  Spun rod bearings, cams run dry, oil galleries full of swarf...... it's going to take some work to resurrect it!

Offline Jesse390

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 08:51:13 am »
Well.... It seems if I leave my car in the garage that did the inspection I'm looking at a minimum of 3k. Other options are replace engine  on drive, the last motor I swapped was a mi16 into my 205 gti. This I feel is a little more complicated. I might find that once i start stripping it i find its not too bad, just have to label things. Plus the turbo has to be affected also from the swarf in the oil. The other option is to cut my losses which would feel like I'm chickening out.
I didn't think I was signing up for this when I brought the car. Moral of the story.....don't lone your car out.

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 06:44:18 pm »
Brand new CDL crate engine is about £4K from TPS.  If it were me I would spend the extra on that instead of a rebuilt one.  Nothing beats factory unless it's a balls out, money no object forged piston/rod build.

The engines come out of these cars easy enough.   Take the bumper and intercooler etc off and roll it backwards and out  :happy2:

Offline Jesse390

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 11:57:24 am »
Still looking. It seems to be a bit of a minefield. Let down by a few people. Don't know who to trust. Engine is out the car and all stripped ready. This has become a nightmare.

Offline Jesse390

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 11:51:58 am »
Quick question. Can I put a byd head on a cdl block.
Thanks max

Offline Jesse390

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 04:04:30 pm »
Don't know if anyone is intrerested......The reason was failure of oil pump chain tensioner. As of today the car is now running, I had the engine rebuilt, with second hand head by a company in stoke(very helpful)and full turbo overhaul. Did the work myself on the drive hence  the time it took me to complete, but now over the moon.
Max.