Make a donation

Author Topic: Delaney's MK5 GTI Project  (Read 11570 times)

Offline DelaneyGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
  • My Ride: Black Magic Pearl 2007 MK5 GTI
Delaney's MK5 GTI Project
« on: January 08, 2018, 10:14:17 pm »
Hi all,

Is it OK if an Irishman joins :D?

So after driving a diesal for the best part of two years I decided last September I needed a performance petrol in my life.

So the 320D M-Sport went on donedeal and I bought a MK4 1.8T Anni to replace it. This was easily my worst decision of my 22 years on this earth as the car turned into the biggest nightmare imaginable. A story in itself which I will not get into.

Cutting my losses, i got rid of it at a loss and saved to buy the latest project.

After much searching, help from alot of friends and viewing countless cars I was contacted by the then owner of this MK5 GTI.

It's an immaculate 2007 Black Magic Pearl example with 138k km's and a full VW service history.

Its got most GTI extras, DSG box and is in very good condition for an 11 year old car.

All 4 monza's have been recently refurbed to OEM anthracite/diamond cut finish. Unsure if I'll be keeping these but we shall see

The interior is almost perfect. Save from some minor leather stretching on the drivers seat base, which I will sort out soon

Looking forward to overhauling the bay once the bad weather ends. Going to get this fully detailed and ready for some tasty new parts.

Plans for 2018 include lots of performance upgrades. I've decided to make a list of what to expect and to try force myself to achieve them.

R8 Coilpacks
NGK Iridium plugs
Ramair induction kit
GFB DV
Custom stainless steel catback
Visit to TDR for a remap
Full ED30 kit with maxton design splitters/diffusers etc
VW Motorsport wheels
Sticky rubber for trackdays
BC Racing coilovers (if budget allows)
Valeo tails and R32 projectors
Carplay radio

Apologies for the lenghty post. Looking forward to getting 250+hp out of this and doing a few trackdays.

Thanks for reading, more to come!
Project Cars:
Alpine White 1990 316i E30
Le Mans Blue 2006 320D M-Sport
Black Magic Pearl 2007 MK5 GTI

Offline delob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Delaney's MK5 GTI Project
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 10:37:51 am »
Welcome along. I will now be able to follow you here and on backroads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graphite Blue MK5 GTI

Offline DelaneyGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 01:21:34 pm »
Bit of an update on the car.

Have been enjoying my first two weeks of GTI ownership. Loving everything about the car, have no faults thus far.

I put a big order in with Awesome GTI last week and the parts arrived today. I had the day off so I decided to make good use of it.

I started with a engine bay tidy and cleanup. I dressed everything and removed as much dirt as I could. All plastics were treated to a coat of Kleenfreaks dressing.

I then decided I'd tackle the slight hazing on the headlights. First picture trys to show this, but its hard to capture

And the machine polished outcome

Whilst at it, I removed the front grilles. The upper and lower ones are original items and the foglight grilles have been replaced. This ment the originals had weathered slightly and looked grey in colour.

So I removed and dressed these but I'll be replacing them soon as I want to get a smoothened grille insert.

So the parts haul...

- Ramair oversized induction kit
- GoFastBits Dump Valve Plus
- NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
- R8 Coilpacks
- Red coilpack wiring harness

Pulled the plugs and coilpacks and replaced with the new items

And then fitted the induction kit. Very easy install apart from the awkward removal of the jubilee clip holding the factory pipe onto the turbo inlet.

Looks and sounds great. Delighted with it

So I'm contemplating a Forge PCV delete next and have a cam follower in the post, hopefully to fit this week.

Then do something exhaust related to get a bit more noise and it'll be ready for mapping.

More to come as always!
Project Cars:

Offline GTI DAZ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
  • My Ride: Previous: Mk7.5 Fiesta ST, Current: None, future: MK5 GTI
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:12:10 am »
great progress, i got mine about a month ago too so in a similar boat, glad to see your enjoying it as much as i am mine, keep up the good work

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:19:15 am »
Great work so far!

I'm from Dublin myself, just looking at the photos and those long eave houses look like the ones on the main road into Killiney?

There's a good group of us in Ireland so far so it's nice to see more like minded enthusiasts!

Offline DelaneyGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 10:51:52 am »
great progress, i got mine about a month ago too so in a similar boat, glad to see your enjoying it as much as i am mine, keep up the good work

Thanks! Yes loving it so far and looking forward to installing more parts and making it my own!

Great work so far!

I'm from Dublin myself, just looking at the photos and those long eave houses look like the ones on the main road into Killiney?

There's a good group of us in Ireland so far so it's nice to see more like minded enthusiasts!

Your not far off! I'm in Foxrock  :grin: Yes, there seems to be. I've got great help off mk5 enthusiasts so far, i've appreciated it.
Project Cars:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 03:48:41 pm »
Knew it! I probably travel down your road most days and quite possibly would have passed you...

I'm down the road in Dun Laoghaire there...

Offline DelaneyGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 05:55:43 pm »
Its been 60k km's since the cam follower was done so I decided to do it as preventative maintenence more than anything.

Bought a the kit in my local VW dealer and fitted it today.

New on the left, old on the right

Also fitted LED sidelights and number plate light modules. I know the LED sides look awful with standard halogen headlights, this will change when I buy factory xenon headlights soon.

I tidied up the engine bay some more and fitted my red coilpack harness cover. Also removed the oil cap extension piece to allow the cap sit flush.

More coming soon as always...
Project Cars:

Offline DelaneyGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 05:08:06 pm »
Gave the car a fairly thorough wash today.

De-tarred, snowfoamed, hand washed and dried.

On drying the door shuts, I noticed alot of dirt clogged in behind the wing / wheel arch. I began poking some of this out and it was lodged solid. So i popped off the plastic arch liner and got in with the airline and blew it all out. The area was clogged solid with horrible, wet dirty misery. No wonder MK5 wings are so prone to rust.

Gave the car a run over with some .50cal detailing filler polish with the machine polisher. Polished the glass too and coated them in sealant. Also sealed the wheels with Auto Finesse Mint Rims.

The interior got a hoover and a dust and she's ready for another week!

Project Cars:

Offline OirishGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 12:39:18 am »
Welcome to the forum, from a fellow Irish man!

How much more noisy is the ram air compared to stock? been looking at a few induction kits but don't want something that's crazy loud

Offline DelaneyGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 10:52:18 am »
Welcome to the forum, from a fellow Irish man!

How much more noisy is the ram air compared to stock? been looking at a few induction kits but don't want something that's crazy loud

Hello and thank you!

It's certainly noticeable, I will say that. If your after a noticeable induction sound, it does provide that, however it is not loud enough that it would annoy. When driving sensibly, it is barely audible.
Project Cars:

Offline DelaneyGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 04:45:24 pm »
Today I installed my GFB Diverter Valve Plus kit.

Nice and easy to install. Have yet to really drive the car to see if theres a difference, just took it out for a quick spin to make sure all was ok.

The car's pretty much ready for re-mapping now. Debating wether or not to remove my resonator. I don't want it to droan at motorway speeds but a little extra noise would be nice.

More to come as always
Project Cars:

Offline DelaneyGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 06:13:49 pm »
Things got a bit out of hand with some gold thermal tape today. Looks good though  :grin:

Project Cars:

Offline majillionaire

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 09:16:18 pm »
Great looking car, it's near identical spec to my own (N.I. here). I bought mine with the resonator removed, loved the noise but eventually got sick of the drone and had a hard time finding a new resonator. So if you go for it, keep it just in case you want it put back on, it's a cheap job either way.

Offline DelaneyGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 09:27:11 pm »
Great looking car, it's near identical spec to my own (N.I. here). I bought mine with the resonator removed, loved the noise but eventually got sick of the drone and had a hard time finding a new resonator. So if you go for it, keep it just in case you want it put back on, it's a cheap job either way.

Thank you! Yes, don't know what to do. Just going to leave it as is until I can afford a Milltek catback i think.
Project Cars: