Make a donation

Author Topic: Damper to match Eibach springs  (Read 4948 times)

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Damper to match Eibach springs
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 06:10:03 pm »
On taking the car out today and spanking it down some nice roads I’ll be sticking with the currant setup ( Bilstein b12 /eibach arb’s) it’s a great compromise  between looks/handling/comfort that I know from messing with suspension for years is hard to get right !

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 06:34:59 pm »
Certainly is!  I haven't explored ARBs yet.  I don't feel the car really needs them with Ohlins coilovers tbh  :driver:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 06:39:46 pm »
Certainly is!  I haven't explored ARBs yet.  I don't feel the car really needs them with Ohlins coilovers tbh  :driver:

No I wouldn’t be rushing to fit some arbs if I were running the ohlins or even other proper coilovers . The spring rates are usually a lot higher on coilover so the ride becomes very harsh once combined with arb’s ... not a lot of movement, which is good for the most part on an nice smooth track but completely opposite of what you want on a bumpy B road

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 06:52:42 pm »
Yeah you're not wrong!  They can be dodgy on wet corners as well, especially with a much bigger rear one!

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 07:00:03 pm »
It’s funny .... from my experience some cars really respond well to upgraded arb’s ( my Ibiza cupra r did) where as some don’t ! Fitted a set to my m3 and literally drove 50 miles and took them off ! As you with the ohlins on my S2k .... just not needed with such pedigree of damping/springs

Offline Tattooroo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 04:46:55 pm »
I'm getting my Eibach springs with Bilstein B4 Sport dampers fitted on Friday - I'll let you know how it goes. 

The B4 Sport are pretty much like for like replacements for the originals.

Any updates? Curious to see and hear the results? Did you get all the bolts replaced at the same time.

Cheers
Ronnie

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 05:59:16 pm »
I'm getting my Eibach springs with Bilstein B4 Sport dampers fitted on Friday - I'll let you know how it goes. 

Any updates? Curious to see and hear the results? Did you get all the bolts replaced at the same time.

Cheers
Ronnie

Yes, got it fitted. Some feedback:
- yes got all new bolts, Inc top mount bolts.  Glad i did as mechanic had a mission removing front shock bottom bolt.  It was in very poor shape, all rusted along shaft. 

- mechanic had to replace ball joints, as again the bolts were seized on.
- front end wonders a bit, but I think that's to do with it still needing the alignment done
- I've got a bit of a knock at low speeds, I think from the back, so need to get that looked at.

As alignment needs doing it's a bit early to comment too much, but the ride is definitely a bit more 'jiggly' with the new set up, but that's to be expected.  However, it doesn't feel crashy or harsh.

Offline Tattooroo

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 06:20:09 pm »
Please keep us updated. My car needs shocks/Springs but torn weather to go coilovers or do what you've done.
Was hoping to diy it as I've done my previous cars but hearing the issues everyone seems to find along the way is putting me off.

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 07:22:05 pm »
Please keep us updated. My car needs shocks/Springs but torn weather to go coilovers or do what you've done.
Was hoping to diy it as I've done my previous cars but hearing the issues everyone seems to find along the way is putting me off.

I did the rear springs myself as I thought I've had snapped and needs it sorting asap. Rear was easy, and I could have done the shocks.  The front was where the problems were - I guess as the front takes the brunt of the salt and corrodes faster

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 03:23:21 pm »

Cheers
Ronnie

Yes, got it fitted. Some feedback:
- yes got all new bolts, Inc top mount bolts.  Glad i did as mechanic had a mission removing front shock bottom bolt.  It was in very poor shape, all rusted along shaft. 

- mechanic had to replace ball joints, as again the bolts were seized on.
- front end wonders a bit, but I think that's to do with it still needing the alignment done
- I've got a bit of a knock at low speeds, I think from the back, so need to get that looked at.

As alignment needs doing it's a bit early to comment too much, but the ride is definitely a bit more 'jiggly' with the new set up, but that's to be expected.  However, it doesn't feel crashy or harsh.

You will notice more clonks and knocks with stiffer suspension.  Sometimes it's just damper noise and not worn bushes as one would first suspect.