Make a donation

Author Topic: Best spark plugs for Stage2 map  (Read 4562 times)

Offline JamesED30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
Best spark plugs for Stage2 map
« on: January 10, 2018, 08:45:54 pm »
Hey guys, I’m booked in with R-Tech next month to have a stage2 map and dsg map.
Just replaced both the Dv and the Pcv. The car also just had an oil and filter change + cam-belt and water pump.
Looking to replace the air-filter and spark plugs and maybe the fuel filter too. Does anyone have any recommendations for what to replace them with? Or will VW standard parts all be good enough?
Thanks 👍🏼

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Best spark plugs for Stage2 map
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:25:32 pm »
I think they're the NGK BKR7EIX, about £40 for a set of 4 from places like ebay and awesome GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:32:52 am »
As above, BKR7EIX seem to work well, but be aware they don't last as long as the VW ones because only the electrode is iridium coated, not the ground strap.  OEM NGKs use platinum on both the electrode and the ground strap, so last twice as long.

Standard air filter is fine, or chuck a Pipercross dry foam filter in if you want a little more air flow.  They're only £30 or something.

If you want a bit more oomph past 5000rpm, consider an aftermarket intake kit.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline JamesED30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:27:22 pm »
Are the induction kits really worth their huge price tags though?
Is the standard engine cover/air box with a pipercross filter not as good if not better low down?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 10:05:43 pm »
Ha, well I've been trialling 2 of the most expensive / best known ones - VWR and Revo - and personally I don't rate them, but it's just my personal preferences.

Nothing beats the OEM intake for low down response.  Aftermarket intakes only bring extra fizz to the party above 5000rpm, plus there are noise and drivability compromises to consider.   They do make more power, but it depends how the car is driven.  If you drive it hard on a track or 1/4 mile where you are rarely below 4000rpm, then intakes are good.  For a street car where refinement and throttle response are more important than outright power, nothing beats stock.

Offline JamesED30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 11:47:33 am »
Ha, well I've been trialling 2 of the most expensive / best known ones - VWR and Revo - and personally I don't rate them, but it's just my personal preferences.

Nothing beats the OEM intake for low down response.

So for everyday driving you rate the standard over the kits. That’s good to hear. (I’ve just bought a replacement for my cracked cover.

So do you rate performance filters in the stock cover??

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 11:44:08 am »
The Pipercross dry foam in mine seems to do the job, and cheap enough to chuck out and replace annually.  Or you can just run some hot water through it every now and then to shift the grit and dust  :happy2: