Make a donation

Author Topic: What socket do I need to tighten the new 12 point head (p/n WHT 002 795) drive s  (Read 5372 times)

Offline ReflexRob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Hi chaps

This job is sucking my will to live.

What socket do I need to tighten the new 12 point head (p/n WHT 002 795) drive shaft bolt?

Thanks

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
24mm 12 point IIRC.

Surely with a part number you can do some googling?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
Yep, 24mm.

If the bolt you have has a smooth shoulder like this one, torque it 200nm with the car in the air, then drop it down and torque it a further 180 degrees.  **Never put the car's weight onto bearings that aren't torqued up** 

If the bolt has a ribbed shoulder, the torque is a lot less, but I think VW dumped that style of bolt years ago.

For that job I bought a 3/4" 4 foot breaker bar and 3/4" 24mm socket.   Although you can also do it with 1/2" bars and scaffold poles etc!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
Yeah one is 200Nmm the other is 140Nmm. Pretty sure updated one is 200Nmm

I had a scaffold bar on one, and it snapped the ½” drive. In the end it had to be heated up, and ¾” drive used, with the scaffold bar. Car was a 2010 tsi with 11k on the clock. Rediculous

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
70nm + 90 degrees for the ribbed (for pleasure) bolt
200nm + 180 degrees for the plain bolt

Courtesy of everyone's favourite, but awkward to use, website - http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/golf-mk5/running_gear_axles_steering/front_suspension_drive_shafts/assembly_overview_suspension_strut/removing_and_installing_suspension_strut_golf/

Hmmmm, yeah I can see a 1/2" snapping.   VW use 3/4" sockets themselves on the front and rear hubs.  I bought the sockets they use because I know their tools don't snap  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
after snapping 2 1/2" breaker bars I bought 2 sets of these and welded the correct socket to a bit of inch bar to get them undone, then used the other set to do them back up, I have taken them off various times so to me the 30 odd quid was well spent in the end.
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline toom01

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Yep, 24mm.

If the bolt you have has a smooth shoulder like this one, torque it 200nm with the car in the air, then drop it down and torque it a further 180 degrees.  **Never put the car's weight onto bearings that aren't torqued up** 

If the bolt has a ribbed shoulder, the torque is a lot less, but I think VW dumped that style of bolt years ago.

For that job I bought a 3/4" 4 foot breaker bar and 3/4" 24mm socket.   Although you can also do it with 1/2" bars and scaffold poles etc!

Hi, I have the same bolt gets in SKF set. Now I see on VW manual and here say 200nM then car on ground and 180°. So I try and after 200Nm I go 120° max. After this 120 I thin something will be broken.
Maybe I doing wrong. If says 180° then I take big key and if lever on 12h, I am finished when lever gets 6h. Or going 2 time from 12h to 3h. Do I doing something wrong because when I go from 12h lever finished on 4:45 maybe 5h. So missing more torque but I need big lever and I think something broke.
Maybe someone have advice. Golf 5 varoant 1.9 bls 2008 thanks