Make a donation

Author Topic: Parking Paranoia - Irrational Moi ?  (Read 7458 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Parking Paranoia - Irrational Moi ?
« on: January 22, 2018, 02:46:09 pm »
Just thought that I'd post this to see if I'm losing the plot, or if anyone else is too.... My car is pretty much 'ding free' and I'd like to keep it that way. It spends 90% of its time in my garage, so doesn't get  used that much, but when I do, I absolutely hate public car parks. I park as far away from other cars as I can, right at the far end of any car park; I try to find a single space, or, at worst, an end space - never next to a 3 door car (bigger doors); and certainly never near a car with baby seats.

I even prefer parking on the road, so that no one can 'fling' their door open onto my car - I've seen it done so many times by inconsiderate car park users. My wife and family think I'm crazily obsessed - wifey says it's a £6k Golf GTI; not like the brand new £70k Porsche, or Beemers etc that we had when I was younger, and working. I'm retired now(59, so not exactly an old git yet), but perhaps too much time on my hands etc.

I've always been careful where I would park, but I think that this has got a bit OTT (or OCD??)- I get really miffed if anyone parks next to me, having gone to all this trouble to avoid other cars etc, and have to check for bumps and marks. Surely not everyone will be the inconsiderate car park user that I regard them as......

Thoughts, chaps.........? :stupid:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Parking Paranoia - Irrational Moi ?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 03:21:27 pm »
The value of the car is irrelevant imo.  It's your property which you care about and it would be nice if other people respected that.  It's no less acceptable to slam a door into a £6K Golf than it is a brand new Bentley.  It's still unnecessary and annoying in both cases!

At work I moved away from the main parking area and claimed my own little space alongside a hedge.  Others then copied me, but at least the cars are only in front of and behind mine, so no door swinging shenanigans!   In fact, in 27 years of driving, the one and only time I picked up a dent was from a careless colleague at work.

As for roaming out in the wild, I go for a space where 98% of the population would find it too much effort to get into.  Works every time.  People are lazy and want to the most convenient spot possible.  Sun Tzu - know your enemy  :smiley:

You're not the only one, or irrational.  I often make the missus walk a long way to the shop entrance  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 03:50:19 pm »
You're definitely not the only one who does this!

At work, various supermarkets and shopping centres i have a specific spot that I like to park in, and i get very irritated if i'm unable to park in it!
I've been in a few car parks where someone has just carelessly parked next to me, and have been that close that I've had to either climb through the passenger side, or have had to drive forward in order to let me passenger open the door. I cant stand the thought of someone flinging their door open to mine and not being bothered about damaging someone else's property.

I do find that there is always that 1 numpty that decides to park next to you in an empty car park when you're miles away from the entrance  :fighting: :fighting:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:10:04 pm »
Top tip...

In a supermarket car park, look for a trolley bay (people invariably avoid parking next to them for some reason).

Reverse park tight to the trolley bay on your nearside. If you're any good you'll be able to get within 20-30mm of it. This gives you loads of extra gap on the offside between you and the next car, and obviously the nearside is somewhat shielded by the trolley bay itself. Win win.

Note: It helps to get a front passenger out of the car before the manoeuvre.. :)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 04:44:51 pm »
Top tip...

In a supermarket car park, look for a trolley bay (people invariably avoid parking next to them for some reason).

Reverse park tight to the trolley bay on your nearside. If you're any good you'll be able to get within 20-30mm of it. This gives you loads of extra gap on the offside between you and the next car, and obviously the nearside is somewhat shielded by the trolley bay itself. Win win.

Note: It helps to get a front passenger out of the car before the manoeuvre.. :)

Haha, yep  :happy2:   You have also spotted the same creature habits as I have out in the wild.   Ironically, the avoidance of the trolley bay is so that a stray one doesn't end up in the side of their car.

And yeah, as for someone always being next to you in the deepest, darkest corner of the car park when you come back out.......that one is a mystery. It must be a creature habit thing, along the lines of Bison always grouping together at the watering hole to mitigate the Crocodile risk.  Only the brave Bison venture off to the far corner of the carpark on their own. I guess the Bison who is next to you when you come out also doesn't want to be in the main pack, but isn't brave enough to go completely solo.

93.1% of these brave solo creatures head off into the corner because like minded people value their property.  It's only a small splinter cell of utter retards who venture over next to yours deliberately to make a point.  "I know you are parking here because you want to be away from people like me, but here I am anyway, haha!"

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:47:15 pm by Pudding »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 05:01:48 pm »
Top tip...

Haha, yep  :happy2:   You have also spotted the same creature habits as I have out in the wild.   Ironically, the avoidance of the trolley bay is so that a stray one doesn't end up in the side of their car.

And yeah, as for someone always being next to you in the deepest, darkest corner of the car park when you come back out.......that one is a mystery. It must be a creature habit thing, along the lines of Bison always grouping together at the watering hole to mitigate the Crocodile risk.  Only the brave Bison venture off to the far corner of the carpark on their own. I guess the Bison who is next to you when you come out also doesn't want to be in the main pack, but isn't brave enough to go completely solo.

93.1% of these brave solo creatures head off into the corner because like minded people value their property.  It's only a small splinter cell of utter retards who venture over next to yours deliberately to make a point.  "I know you are parking here because you want to be away from people like me, but here I am anyway, haha!"
Haha! Well put Kev!

To be a complete optimist for a moment - maybe the people that park next to you down in the secluded corner of the car park are actually of the same mindest...

"Hey I've seen you've been savvy and found a safe spot. I like your style. I'm gonna park next to you because I'm the same - you're safe with me next to you and I know I'm safe with you next to me".

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking?!

Offline Neil 54

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 09:20:25 pm »
I agree with what all of you have said about parking drives me mad. some years ago i had someone i challenged about opening their door onto my car whilst i was sitting in it tell me it was my fault for having a nice car  far more people dont care than do IMO for the times when i dont have a choice i use these  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doordefender-removable-protection-protector-protectors/dp/B00F2ECLV0

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 10:53:49 pm »
I never use to be botherd as much, till i got a ding on the old edition 30 then i started parking as far away as possible. Always park middle of nowhere and come back out with a car parked either side and it gets right on my tits.

I've now installed a dash cam front and rear with motion sensors when i'm not there.

Although it might not pick up the ding happening. It picks up car driving in or out so in theory i hope it works.

So yeah you're not the only one.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 09:31:38 am »
Top tip...

Haha! Well put Kev!

To be a complete optimist for a moment - maybe the people that park next to you down in the secluded corner of the car park are actually of the same mindest...

"Hey I've seen you've been savvy and found a safe spot. I like your style. I'm gonna park next to you because I'm the same - you're safe with me next to you and I know I'm safe with you next to me".

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking?!

Yeah I'm sure there is that side of it too.  Like minded people do tend to gravitate toward each other.   

The best way to keep people away from your car is buy an old Volvo estate and weld 8" steels spikes all over it!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 09:36:33 am »
I agree with what all of you have said about parking drives me mad. some years ago i had someone i challenged about opening their door onto my car whilst i was sitting in it tell me it was my fault for having a nice car  far more people dont care than do IMO for the times when i dont have a choice i use these  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doordefender-removable-protection-protector-protectors/dp/B00F2ECLV0

So going by their logic, you were quite within your rights to punch them in the face for being too pretty.  And perhaps when you're done with the facial rearranging, drive a tractor through their living room wall.  Their fault for having a nice house.

I think being a total idiot and thicker and 5 short planks should be punishable by life imprisonment, with Torture Tuesdays every week.  Starting with a car door being banged onto their knees for 5 hours.

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 11:10:16 am »

Thanks for the re-assuring comments...... Had a quick look at these door defenders - thanks - the problem is that offending cars have different door profiles, with pointed bits, when the door is open, at different heights - like this muppet who parked very close next to me on Sunday in a Nissan Juke, which had a pointed profile bit low down, but then a high nasty looking door edge over the rear wheel arch, and then another car might be totally different,  :doh:

Had to take wifey to a hospital appointment the other day to have her plaster-cast  taken off, from a broken wrist, and you know how hard it is to park at Hospitals.......was dreading it, but hey presto, there was a single space near the top floor in the multi storey car park at Poole hospital - bingo! (top tip !)  Flippin hard to manoeuvre into, but managed it, ha ha, More physio appointments to follow, though :thinking:.......

Offline delob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 05:50:18 pm »
I would like this post ten times if I could. I too am extra fussy about parking and often circle car parks numerous times before choosing a spot, even when they are empty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graphite Blue MK5 GTI

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 09:09:51 pm »
None of you are the only paranoid ones.

For me, it's an end space or GTFO.
50% less chance of some mong-clown 'non car enthusiast' edging up to it or carelessly denting the bodywork straight away. I like to keep chances in my favour, hence I've never been a gambler  :grin: :laugh:

Given the demonstration I saw this morning of one of my own trusted and beleaguered colleagues parking his car this morning in the side street outside work by making full on weighted contact with the car both behind, then in front as he straightened up in a space basically too small for his SUV, I remembered even people you have time for literally don't GAF about cars most of the time  :booty: :stupid:  :rolleye:

It was a harrowing reminder that there's a big gaping separation of people when they step into a car - those that care, and those that quite blatantly, openly and unforgivingly don't.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 03:37:39 pm »
Reverse parking.. Dinged twice by d1ckeds. Can't stand to see it. When I asked one of them why he did it he said for safety reasons so he can drive straight out. Apologies to all the experts on here who are more than capable of the achieving the manoeuvre. Agree with OP.. Drive my wife mad looking for a space.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 04:05:37 pm »
My wife works at the largest Tesco in Suffolk her Mini had 21 car park dents in it when we sold it to a Londoner who parked on the street and said it was par for the course to have a damaged car in London. He did not care less about them. When i took her there once several years ago a car pulled out straight into the side of my BMW causing £2k of damage ! We bought a new Polo R line to replace it, only two so far ! I ensure my car cannot be hit when parked by doors, takes ages to find a spot sometimes.
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD